Post-Game Talk: Jets hang on, beat Arizona 4-3

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
How ridiculous of a goalie do you have to be to stop the coyotes first 2 goals? It was clearly just an off night for Helle.
Thankfully, not a great night for the other guy as well. Sure those were nice placed shots, but he shoulda had a couple of those. 2 points is 2 points however, Vegas we're coming for #1.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So this is the team I wanted the Jets to become......where our goalie has an off night and yet our depleted roster can figure out how to construct wins against a team we “should” beat.

I missed the game due to crappy wifi and internet in Huatulco but nice to get the two points.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Wheeler is mostly a monster player, BUT he is by far the worst at getting the puck out of our own zone, not Laine, who always seems to get the blame.

Laine will eventually get very very good at getting the puck out of the zone. He really has a phenomenal knack for getting the puck on his stick - he'll knock down passes out of mid air and stuff like that. The problem right now is that he also has a knack for then trying little back-hand touch passes and stuff that often end up right on opposing sticks just inside the blue line again. But, he does have amazing touch as well - he's brilliant at sending the puck with just the right force to not go far enough for icing. It's like he's curling sometimes. Just needs to put the pieces together and he's a wizard...

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Back from Timmies and just read through the PGT,

Petan wasn’t good some said, wow, first game back in the NHL and he set up stone hands Dano for a couple sure goals that anyone would have put in (okay maybe not Copp), Petan had a good game, both penalties were questionable.

Lemieux=just not ready

No one mentioned the off night by Helly, three pretty questionable goals won’t even fault him because he’s been so good this season.

Buff and Enstrom had good games as did Kulikov, Chariot was actually good

Copp proved you can’t always score on an empty net.

Roslo looks good, better than Connor has for the last 20 games actually!

Rest of the forwards on auto pilot through this one, Laine still struggles to move the puck out of his own end!
Really enjoying the objective Sip! Great takes man.

Reactions: sipowicz

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I wasn't able to watch the game due to being Witchita for training.

.....so I watched the 8 minutes condensed game and came here to see the PGT to try and get a feel for how it was.

And I still have no idea with all the Jekyll and Hyde analysis here :laugh:.

Petan was bad and good and bad. Helle was soft but the team played like crap but we still should have won 4-1....

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I wasn't able to watch the game due to being Witchita for training.

.....so I watched the 8 minutes condensed game and came here to see the PGT to try and get a feel for how it was.

And I still have no idea with all the Jekyll and Hyde analysis here :laugh:.

Petan was bad and good and bad. Helle was soft but the team played like crap but we still should have won 4-1....

I know, I felt like I was watching a different game than most :) But to be honest, there are better hockey minds here than me.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Was at game and woulda shoulda been 4-1 with the usual Helle goaltending.

The only thing I would add is that the linemen's threshold for calling icing is too low. Can't remember so many boos for weak icing calls. The ref even had to overturn a call at one point.

Reactions: Ducky10

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Not blaming, and not saying the penalties were or were not good... but when your team takes 4 minors and the 4th line is responsible for 3 of them, that's an issue. When you are going to get less than 10 minutes of ice time, you can't spend it taking penalties nor can you be forcing your better players to kill them for you.

Helly can take a night off because he has played so well this season. But just one...;)

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

The only thing I would add is that the linemen's threshold for calling icing is too low. Can't remember so many boos for weak icing calls. The ref even had to overturn a call at one point. Just let 'em play.

My guess is half the people watching don't understand how icing is being called, hence the booing every game. There was only 1 icing I didn't like, and the refs fixed it by having the faceoff at center. It's a race to the hash-marks, not a race to the puck, and a judgement call as to who gets there first... better than having guys hurt trying to touch the puck first.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Petan was the best of the PB bunch. We'll see how well he does against an NHL lineup on Friday.

Great to see Pavelec get the win despite a shaky game in net.

Pavelec? I thought that was (bad) Hutchinson. :laugh:

Bucky was very shaky last night. Played his bad game against the right opposition I guess.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
So this is the team I wanted the Jets to become......where our goalie has an off night and yet our depleted roster can figure out how to construct wins against a team we “should” beat.

I missed the game due to crappy wifi and internet in Huatulco but nice to get the two points.

Sounds like a cold, dark place. :nod:

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The only thing I would add is that the linemen's threshold for calling icing is too low. Can't remember so many boos for weak icing calls. The ref even had to overturn a call at one point.

They were calling icing the old-fashioned way. Hybrid icing? Never heard of it. :laugh: If a defensive player was anywhere near the puck it was icing. :laugh:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Not gonna comment too much on the game other than to say maybe Helle shouldn't skip morning skates any more.

Reactions: Jets 31

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Scheifele posting on HF boards just hyperventilating at every single thing "omg Hellesuck" while Trouba and Fedora stuff their face with empty calories.

ZDCWVbG.jpg

So far, we've got Trouba and Pulju on the All-Gorging Team.
If Toews is Captain Serious, what does that make Scheifele? Captain Even More Seriouser?
And Jesus Lowry, that's bordering on Paddington bear. This is the look you should be going for.

latest

Reactions: SLAYER

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
My guess is half the people watching don't understand how icing is being called, hence the booing every game. There was only 1 icing I didn't like, and the refs fixed it by having the faceoff at center. It's a race to the hash-marks, not a race to the puck, and a judgement call as to who gets there first... better than having guys hurt trying to touch the puck first.
I actually think most people get that, there were a couple that looked as if the Jets player had position and one in fact got overturned. People are going to get on the refs in those situations, it's not always because they are ignorant.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets dominated that game. The only bad penalty was the one Lemieux took. That was just dumb. Goaltending was uncharacteristically soft.

The Petan line was on the ice with the 3rd pairing (Kuli-Chia) for the whole game and played most of their minutes against the Coyotes' bottom 6 (who they totally ate alive). Good game by them.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

Yeah I meant to touch on that in my earlier post. There were at least a couple occasions where they just seemed to blow it dead when it looked like our guys were gonna beat it out. WTF? Also forgot to mention what a good game Buff had.

Reactions: Ducky10 and ocdaddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad