News Article: Jets GM has not reached bar he set for himself

Hhane Snidy

Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Sounds like Friesen was pretty po'd that Chevy wasn't available for yet another interview. Good article and it confirms what a lot of us have talked about.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If Chevy doesn't like dealing with the press, I can think of a couple teams down south he should offer his services to. Odds are nobody in those places will ever ask him anything. ;)

Fergie may not have been the best GM in Winnipeg , but at least he was approachable and if you asked him something he would give you an answer.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Paul misses the mark a wee bit in worrying too much about the cap hit. You could have a much better team with Stempniak and Tlusty signed and it wouldn't affect cap hit much at all. In fact you'd likely save some on the Moose.

The problem is too much middling.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Before even reading. Friesen just may be the worst sports reporter who has ever wrote an article. He is bad and I mean extremely bad. He is even bad for Sun Media which says a lot.

I've long loathed Friesen, and the Sun. He's a complete idiot for the most part but all he's really done here is lay out how things have actually gone.

I think Chevy brings this type of thing on himself though by refusing to be more accessible and accountable for the state of the team. If he won't answer the questions, people just start coming up with their own answers, rightly or wrongly.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I've long loathed Friesen, and the Sun. He's a complete idiot for the most part but all he's really done here is lay out how things have actually gone.

I think Chevy brings this type of thing on himself though by refusing to be more accessible and accountable for the state of the team. If he won't answer the questions, people just start coming up with their own answers, rightly or wrongly.

They've been coming up with their own answers alright -- just always fluffing him up & giving him all the benefit of the doubt. Finally someone locally willing to call a spade a spade.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

That was a great article?? Starts off an article on Chevy by saying the jets promoted people from within the moose organization. Not sure why, cause Chevy wasn't from the moose or from the AHL.

Made a stempniak point that every semi-knowledgable jets fan has made for the entirety of the season.

Says that if Ladd or buff walk away at free agency for nothing it'll be a bad move by Chevy. great insight there.

Finishes off the article complaining that he didn't grant an interview request for the article and that he really should. Cause you know other GMs have media scrums daily.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
They've been coming up with their own answers alright -- just always fluffing him up & giving him all the benefit of the doubt. Finally someone locally willing to call a spade a spade.

Agreed and it's only going to become more frequent the longer he remains quiet on any and all issues. Once the masses join the chorus of discontent, it's a hard train to stop.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
That was a great article?? Starts off an article on Chevy by saying the jets promoted people from within the moose organization. Not sure why, cause Chevy wasn't from the moose or from the AHL.
His point was that everyone hired had AHL experience with the Moose and Chevy's main experience was also in the A with the Wolves. Jets 2.0 began with little to no NHL experience in management or coaching ranks.

Made a stempniak point that every semi-knowledgable jets fan has made for the entirety of the season.

But no one the mainstream media has yet to call him out on
Says that if Ladd or buff walk away at free agency for nothing it'll be a bad move by Chevy. great insight there.

No great insight but the clock is ticking and we've seen this movie before.
Finishes off the article complaining that he didn't grant an interview request for the article and that he really should. Cause you know other GMs have media scrums daily

The dude never answers questions, some GM's actually do. most in fact.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Honestly I prefer him not giving interviews over talking in cliches and being a wordsmith. I realize that a lot of GMs are not upfront but it doesn't look like he'll ever answer a question straight even in an interview. I think silence is less infuriating

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
His point was that everyone hired had AHL experience with the Moose and Chevy's main experience was also in the A with the Wolves. Jets 2.0 began with little to no NHL experience in management or coaching ranks.

But no one the mainstream media has yet to call him out on

No great insight but the clock is ticking and we've seen this movie before.

The dude never answers questions, some GM's actually do. most in fact.

Oh?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Left out quite a bit. Nothing there addressed the horid penalty killing or the shoddy gialtending this team had early in the season. Stuart and Pav/Hutch had a much larger impact on this team's record than Lee Sempniak ever could.

The media is beginning to circle around Chevy, but picking on Copp and Petan is taking the easy way out. When will the media ask questions about how horrible Mark Stuart is? And how terrible that contract is? I think that signing was Chevy's worst move as GM.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Calling it a great article is doing a pretty weak journalist a favor. But it was mostly correct, even if a few points were off.

Based on this year's off season and subsequent season, it's impossible not to look at Stempniak as a huge mistake made probably to save a million bucks.

I still hate letting Frolik go because he fit so well with any time line of our team trying to compete. I also get a feeling that once he got the 1 year arbitration award he was gone no matter what. Still a mistake in my mind.

The difference between 10th and 25th in the league isn't very much. As grim as things look, if Chevy smartens up and makes a few good moves between now and August, we could be right back on the upswing. There's a lot that can go right or wrong between then, however.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I don't really care if this article is well written or even 100% accurate. I'm just so happy that someone in the Winnipeg media FINALLY called Chevy out for what is going on.

White Out 403*

I don't really care if this article is well written or even 100% accurate. I'm just so happy that someone in the Winnipeg media FINALLY called Chevy out for what is going on.

my thoughts exactly. there could be spelling errors and id call it a wonderful piece. teflon kevin is finally over. criticism is a new reality for this buffoon.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
Hang on folks. Put down the torches & pitchforks....."it's a process".

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012

Agree with you on this one... we are bombarded with the local media lobbing up softies....

Tired of hearing the word "process" from this GM... of course its' a process- so is putting on your socks. That is a cop out and mildly insulting to this fan base

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I actually think the most worrying point of the piece is one that's a little buried -- KC's absolute inaccessibility. All GMs are going to make mistakes, and sometimes big ones. At that point, it's your record and goodwill that carry you through. The Jets org built up tremendous goodwill over the past 5 years, but they run the risk of squandering it in a lot less time, at which point people begin asking harder questions, including those about provincial and municipal loans and exemptions, perceived dominance of new development, etc etc.

KC seems to be a cerebral guy, impatient with media, very much a backroom figure, visibly uncomfortable in the spotlight in a way that is hard to maintain in a media-rich environment. In some ways he strikes me as the Greg Selinger of hockey. I suspect he does have the respect of his peers, but its tough to stay confident in an organization to which you, as a fan/supporter, appear to have so little access.

It's sleight-of-hand, I think -- appear to listen and care deeply about the fan experience while doing pretty much what you want as an org, but it makes a difference. People can see and buy into a direction and you keep up some of the goodwill you've spent so much time and cash on. I'm not an STH but I have several friends who are, and they all say the same thing now -- they're looking to sell on, they've lost "Jet fever," spend less time watching or thinking about hockey, etc. No doubt a playoff run changes that somewhat, but there's no doubt the brand has suffered this year, and a lot of that is down to how the team as well as the perception of the team has been managed, Jets and Moose both. This is a hockey town, but it's a much more cosmopolitain and sophisticated place than it's often given credit for, and home to several generations of kids growing up for whom hockey is one form of entertainment among many. I think having a team that is fun, exciting, hardworking, with a clear identity gets you most of the way. A team you've stopped caring about is a sign of real trouble. Think this year's Leicester City vs this year's Man U.

Just IMO

J

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Calling it a great article is doing a pretty weak journalist a favor. But it was mostly correct, even if a few points were off.

Based on this year's off season and subsequent season, it's impossible not to look at Stempniak as a huge mistake made probably to save a million bucks.

I still hate letting Frolik go because he fit so well with any time line of our team trying to compete. I also get a feeling that once he got the 1 year arbitration award he was gone no matter what. Still a mistake in my mind.

The difference between 10th and 25th in the league isn't very much. As grim as things look, if Chevy smartens up and makes a few good moves between now and August, we could be right back on the upswing. There's a lot that can go right or wrong between then, however.

It was a huge mistake but it wasn't about money. Not as cheap as Stemp is. It was some kind of incredible brain cramp to let Stemp go and then sign Raffl. Who is currently occupying the roster spot that would have gone to Stemp? Armia? His NHL salary is higher than Stemps and he has a potential bonus.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree with you on this one... we are bombarded with the local media lobbing up softies....

Tired of hearing the word "process" from this GM... of course its' a process- so is putting on your socks. That is a cop out and mildly insulting to this fan base

I wouldn't mind him saying "its a process" if he would then describe the process a little less vaguely than simply saying "draft and develop". Describe the steps in the process and some kind of timeline. No, he never said 5 years. If he did he was clearly talking about some other 5 years.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Here's a free tip for the Sun. You want better access to the pro sports teams in this town? Buy some adspace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad