Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
A center like Staal or RNH (both very good defensively and very good PKers) with 1.25m of their contracts retained and we are contenders...Myers, Lowry and a 2nd for RNH...Myers, Lowry, Petan and a 2nd for Staal...they retain 1.25m in either deal. If we have an injury to a center, it doesn't hurt the team as much and we gain cap space.

Ehlers Scheif Laine
Connor Little Wheeler
MP Staal Armia
Matthias Copp Dano
Petan Tanev in pressbox

J Mo Trouba
Kuli Buff
Enstrom Poolman
Chiarot in pressbox

Helle Mason

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Helle keeps playing the way he is we won't have much of a need for Price especially at that salary.

I would be looking at moving Myers for a good 3C plus a prospect and a pick.

Love that if we could get it but I suspect it would be more like Myers + prospect + pick to get a good 3C.

Maybe a little later if Myers stays healthy and plays well for another 20-30 games we could do 1 for 1 for a good 3C.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
A center like Staal or RNH (both very good defensively and very good PKers) with 1.25m of their contracts retained and we are contenders...Myers, Lowry and a 2nd for RNH...Myers, Lowry, Petan and a 2nd for Staal...they retain 1.25m in either deal. If we have an injury to a center, it doesn't hurt the team as much and we gain cap space.

Ehlers Scheif Laine
Connor Little Wheeler
MP Staal Armia
Copp Lowry Dano
Matthias Tanev in pressbox

J Mo Trouba
Kuli Buff
Enstrom Poolman
Chiarot in pressbox

Helle Mason
You’ve traded Lowry, need another 4C.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Copp is a more than adequate 4th C.
Scheif Little Staal Copp with Roslo in the wings is an envious center corps.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Ehlers Scheif Laine
Connor Little Wheeler
MP Staal Armia
Copp Lowry Dano
Matthias Tanev in pressbox

J Mo Trouba
Kuli Buff
Enstrom Poolman
Chiarot in pressbox

Helle Mason

I don't see either team going for those packages.

Carolina doesn't need Myers. They are overflowing with D. They don't need Lowry either. They need scoring wingers.

Edmonton could use both Myers and Lowry but I don't think they give up their 2C to get them.

Neither team would retain salary for those deals.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I think Lowry brings lots off the ice plus hes a bigger guy and is pretty good defensively. He is an ok 3 C but ideally hes a great 4th line center. I dont really want to give up Lowry...

I dont like Staal, he was invisible last night.. Think hes overrated. RNH is interesting but i feel hes another small guy plus blocks Roslo and even Harkins who i think are 1 day legit NHL players. Edmonton or Carolina better be retaining...

I honestly think moving Myers or Trouba (if he doesnt want to be here) will happen but.. Im not sure 3 center is what we should be looking for.

I think we have solutions in house...

I think LHD is still an area we need upgrading.. Toby dont look good.. Hes ok but hes slow and 1 year left... So... If Myers or Trouba is dealt... You have to get a similar aged LHD for sure.

Whether we like it or not... U look to future and remove Buff and Wheeler and we get smaller.. Lowry brings some size and ability.. Hes a piece moving forward. Ideal 4c but right now a decent 3c... And probably in reality... Hes 3C because Petan Copp arent aa good.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
sweeten the deal.

Already paying too much. I see the problem with your suggestion as being that you are aiming to acquire a 1/2 C for 3C duty. Among other things that means the other team has to retain salary because 6mil is just too much for a 3C. To get them to retain you have to pay more in assets than what a 3C is worth. It just isn't going to work.

Try scouting around for an undervalued, younger C with more upside than Lowry has. An older one who is past his prime would be good for a couple of years if he is not under contract for too long and also overpaid.

Bonino was just signed by Preds to 4x4.1 at 29 YO. That is more in the right price range and he is a legit 3C, not a 1C.

When looking around for a proper 3C it isn't that easy to find a better one than Lowry without doing the same thing I see you doing. That is trying to get a top 6 C for the role. Maybe we should be more satisfied with him there and look to upgrade his wingers.

JMO but that is how I see these trade proposals.

If we did sweeten the offer enough to get one of these 6mil/yr C's with salary retained down to 4-4.25 mil, we would end up with a discontented player in a 3C role.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Right, so I see. :facepalm:
I agree that Copp can slide in to fill a 4C spot with Roslovic in the wings too.

But I’d rather acquire another LH dman then another forward or C.

Would like to see a deal featuring Ryan Murray from CBJ. Wonder what that would take.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree that Copp can slide in to fill a 4C spot with Roslovic in the wings too.

But I’d rather acquire another LH dman then another forward or C.

Would like to see a deal featuring Ryan Murray from CBJ. Wonder what that would take.

Ryan Murray is horribly overrated. The man is seriously bad. Ben Chiarot for twice the money. No thanks.

If we were to acquire another LHD we would need to park him in the PB. I would like to get a high level LHD prospect who could spend the season with the Moose. I'd like to see a future Trouba replacement in the system too but those are rare. :laugh:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Except I don't see MP Staal/RNH Armia as a third line...more like a 2B. Like MP Little Laine is a 1B right now .
Staal isn't a 1C on most teams but he is on the Canes, that isn't his fault.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Ryan Murray is horribly overrated. The man is seriously bad. Ben Chiarot for twice the money. No thanks.

If we were to acquire another LHD we would need to park him in the PB. I would like to get a high level LHD prospect who could spend the season with the Moose. I'd like to see a future Trouba replacement in the system too but those are rare. :laugh:
Disagree about Chiarot vs Murray comparison.

If you can get him at reasonable price, I think he flourishes in another situation away from CBJ.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Does Petan have any trade value at the moment? You’re not getting a legitimate top 9 nhl player for him without adding, IMO.
I don't think Petan gets you more than another team's question mark prospect or is a bit of a sweetener on a bigger deal. To get a true #3 center to slot in between Little and Lowry, IMO our biggest need, would cost something we won't like giving up.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I don't think Petan gets you more than another team's question mark prospect or is a bit of a sweetener on a bigger deal. To get a true #3 center to slot in between Little and Lowry, IMO our biggest need, would cost something we won't like giving up.
Wouldn’t Roslovic fill that role next year? Creates a log jam if we acquire a 3C. And Mo would have to play the guy we acquire as a 3C over Lowry this year. I’m not holding my breath on that.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Wouldn’t Roslovic fill that role next year? Creates a log jam if we acquire a 3C. And Mo would have to play the guy we acquire as a 3C over Lowry this year. I’m not holding my breath on that.
I'm pretty focused on wanting to start pushing this year. Roslovic is still a prospect and no guarantee he is able to take over a #3 center role next season. And having too many centers is hardly a bad thing. Moving a natural center to wing is a lot easier than trying to make a center out of a winger.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Disagree about Chiarot vs Murray comparison.

If you can get him at reasonable price, I think he flourishes in another situation away from CBJ.

There are 2 things there. You disagree with the Chiarot comparison and you think he will benefit from leaving CBJ. What do you base those on?

gqOjELY.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Except I don't see MP Staal/RNH Armia as a third line...more like a 2B. Like MP Little Laine is a 1B right now .
Staal isn't a 1C on most teams but he is on the Canes, that isn't his fault.

You may be right that Staal isn't a 1C but he is a 2C.

Canes don't need either of the players you suggested, IMO. Who might we give for him that would be good enough to get him and to get the salary retention? I think your answer will have to be more than we should give up.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
A 1st in 2018, Myers (1.25m retained) and Lowry for Staal (1.25m retained) and a third in 2018. We would make the playoffs consistently with giving that up for Staal.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A 1st in 2018, Myers (1.25m retained) and Lowry for Staal (1.25m retained) and a third in 2018. We would make the playoffs consistently with giving that up for Staal.

I think we need more retention than that. We will be paying Scheif, Ehlers, Little, Wheeler, Trouba, Buff, Laine, Morrissey, Kulikov, Perreault. We will not have the cap space to pay 4.75 mil for a 3C.

The Canes still just don't need Myers and Lowry. They have lots of better Dmen and they have lots of bottom 6 C's as well. It may be more than enough value but it is not the right pieces for them. So you are going to have to give them something else. It will start with Connor. Then add if you want them to retain.

Reactions: JetBlue420
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad