Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It said third year pro...but this would Morrissey's and Ehler's first year.

I think we're going to lose a few prospects guys. I'm kind of worried about this.

We can only lose 1 player. Brace yourself for that to be a player you don't want to lose. The expansion draft is going to be set up to give the expansion team the basis for a decent roster.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Jets are not bound by Myers's NMC.

Unless they decided for some reason that they wanted to be. They didn't.

I could see trading Myers before having to expose him though. But the buying team would have to have room to protect him or they are going to face the same issue.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
We can only lose 1 player. Brace yourself for that to be a player you don't want to lose. The expansion draft is going to be set up to give the expansion team the basis for a decent roster.

I suspect they want the new teams to be off and running. a lousy team for 5 years will do nothing to build the sport in a new "non hockey" region and may be a detriment to the league in the long run.

Imagine if Atlanta had a playoff team from the get-go, they likely would have been far more successful with the fans.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Thanks. So it adds waivers in addition to no trade. What else is there?

Franchise relocation, I believe...

Very often no-trade clauses are modified or limited--they include a list of teams the player can or can't be traded to.

The speculation is that for $500m (and, for the P.A., adding 23 NHL salaries in perpetuity) Las Vegas is effectively added to every list of teams a player can be traded to, and possibly even removed from every list of teams players can't be traded to.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Last time I che med general fanager has it kicking in this sumner.

As I wrote earlier in this thread:

"When a player waives an active clause it resumes effect immediately after the transaction.

But when a player is traded before their clause kicks in, the acquiring team has one week to decide whether they will honour it (in full) going forward.

I have still not come across any reason a team would want to do that, so it's safe to assume Myers has no transaction restriction clause at this time.

Similar to Richards, who signed a full NMC with the Flyers, but before it kicked in he was traded to--and subsequently waived by--the Kings."

This is all according to 10.1 (a) of the CBA:

If the Player is Traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking
effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to
be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to
the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Franchise relocation, I believe...

Very often no-trade clauses are modified or limited--they include a list of teams the player can or can't be traded to.

The speculation is that for $500m (and, for the P.A., adding 23 NHL salaries in perpetuity) Las Vegas is effectively added to every list of teams a player can be traded to, and possibly even removed from every list of teams players can't be traded to.
Franchise relocation? You sure you thought that through?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
From the CBA...

Individually Negotiated Limitations on Player Movement.
(a) The SPC of any Player who is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent under Article 10.1(a) may contain a no-Trade or a no-move clause. SPCs containing a no-Trade or a no-move clause may be entered into prior to the time that the Player is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent
so long as the SPC containing the no-Trade or no-move clause extends through and does not become effective until the time that the Player qualifies for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency.
If the Player is Traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof.
(b)
A no-Trade clause or a no-move clause that is negotiated as part of an extension of an SPC entered into pursuant to Section 50.5(f) may become effective immediately upon registration of, but prior to the effective date of, such SPC extension, provided:
(i) the Player would otherwise have been eligible is of the immediately preceding July 1 prior to signing the SPC extension to have a no-Trade or no-move clause pursuant to Section 11.8; and
(ii) the Club and the Player, who are parties to such SPC extension, agree that the no-Trade or no-move clause is effective immediately upon execution of the SPC extension (or at some later date agreed to by the Club and the Player) and evidence such agreement in writing in the SPC.
(c)
A no-move clause may prevent the involuntary relocation of a Player, whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim. A no-move clause, however, may not restrict the Club's Buy-Out and termination rights as set forth in this Agreement. Prior to exercising its Ordinary Course Buy-Out rights pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC hereof, the Club shall, in writing in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, provide the Player with the option of electing to be placed on Waivers. The Player will have twenty-four (24) hours from the time he receives such notice to accept or reject that option at his sole discretion, and shall so inform the Club in writing, in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, within such twenty-
four (24) hour period. If the Player does not timely accept or reject that option, it will be deemed rejected.

Not much about franchise re-location...

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Two things...

1. So what's the definition of a "Forward"? Do they have to play a certain number of games in the position? Just wondering if the Jets can get around the rules by playing Buff (heaven forbid) at Forward for a couple games. Just a thought.

2. Wonder if this means players with expiring contracts after next season won't get extensions until after the expansion draft. i.e Wait til after expansion draft and before new league year to give Perreault a new contract extension

Last edited:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Can anyone confirm this? Pretty sure that's not the case.

Well there's been one relocation in the trade clause era, so it's certainly never happened. They're referred to in the CBA as preventing the 'involuntary relocation' of a player. It doesn't specify franchise relocation, but does say it prevents trade or waivers (not a buy out).

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Would be dumbfounded if NTCs come into play here. NMCs maybe, but not NTCs.

Yes that's been clarified somewhat since I posted that. They still need to negotiate how it works with the PA though.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
A few thoughts:

- have to think someone coming off their second year at the end of June is considered a second-year player. There's really no such thing as a first year player otherwise.

- the 25% rule seems like a tricky one. 25% of what is a big question - team cap? league cap / 30? Team cap maximum?

- how pending UFA's impact 25% rule - excluded from numerator and denominator, or just numerator?

- if it's 25% of team cap from April 1 and UFA's don't count, we'd probably have to expose around $15m in cap hits (assuming Stafford/Pav are UFAs and Perreault re-signed).

- Enstrom would be an obvious choice because only a year out from UFA would probably not be selected (not sure if he's nmc or ntc). If Enstrom has to be protected, we'd have to expose Myers. $5.3m

- Stu and Thor finally have a role on the team as they contribute $4m to the pool (looks like Chevy pulled a Homer)

- Protected: Little, Wheeler, Scheifele, Perreault, Armia, Burmistrov, Dano / Trouba, Buff, Myers / Hellebuyck

- Lowry, Postma and Hutch may see some generous bridge deals this summer as they all could be exposed for another $5m

- Ehlers, Petan, Morrissey, Comrie, Connor presumably exempt.

- might need to extend Stafford just to lose him in the draft.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
As I wrote earlier in this thread:

"When a player waives an active clause it resumes effect immediately after the transaction.

But when a player is traded before their clause kicks in, the acquiring team has one week to decide whether they will honour it (in full) going forward.

I have still not come across any reason a team would want to do that, so it's safe to assume Myers has no transaction restriction clause at this time.

Similar to Richards, who signed a full NMC with the Flyers, but before it kicked in he was traded to--and subsequently waived by--the Kings."

This is all according to 10.1 (a) of the CBA:

If the Player is Traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking
effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to
be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to
the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof.

I fully understand how it works. The question is did the jets honor Myers' no movement clause. The only reputable source I can find is general fanager and they say yes.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
A few thoughts:

- have to think someone coming off their second year at the end of June is considered a second-year player. There's really no such thing as a first year player otherwise.

- the 25% rule seems like a tricky one. 25% of what is a big question - team cap? league cap / 30? Team cap maximum?

- how pending UFA's impact 25% rule - excluded from numerator and denominator, or just numerator?

- if it's 25% of team cap from April 1 and UFA's don't count, we'd probably have to expose around $15m in cap hits (assuming Stafford/Pav are UFAs and Perreault re-signed).

- Enstrom would be an obvious choice because only a year out from UFA would probably not be selected (not sure if he's nmc or ntc). If Enstrom has to be protected, we'd have to expose Myers. $5.3m

- Stu and Thor finally have a role on the team as they contribute $4m to the pool (looks like Chevy pulled a Homer)

- Protected: Little, Wheeler, Scheifele, Perreault, Armia, Burmistrov, Dano / Trouba, Buff, Myers / Hellebuyck

- Lowry, Postma and Hutch may see some generous bridge deals this summer as they all could be exposed for another $5m

- Ehlers, Petan, Morrissey, Comrie, Connor presumably exempt.

- might need to extend Stafford just to lose him in the draft.

It was reported that it would be 25% of the teams final cap total for the just completed season.

If your cap number was $60M like it was this year forthe Jets then you need to expose $15M.

At the projected $74M cap max you would need to expose $18.5M

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
It was reported that it would be 25% of the teams final cap total for the just completed season.

If your cap number was $60M like it was this year forthe Jets then you need to expose $15M.

At the projected $74M cap max you would need to expose $18.5M

Presumably then, you can expose pending UFA's Stafford and Pavalec and their $8.1m cap hit. So we'd get pretty close with Staff, Pav, Enstrom, Stu and Thor. Sorry Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad