Post-Game Talk: Jets final fall to the Knights 2 -1

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Anyone else feel remarkably calm and not as upset as they thought they would?

Game 7 vs Nashville I was on pins and needles. A loss would have felt like a gunshot. Maybe its because after game 3 I just felt like it wasn't meant to be? Either way, I'm surprised how not furious I am.
If your expectations were in check earlier, that is what should happen.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I agree about Buff, he was a force the first two rounds but didn't have much left in the tank in the WCF.

I still think Moe can still do a better job distributing ice time on his defense core. No way Morrissey should be only playing 20 minutes a night next season. He should be up around 23 minutes, ditto for Trouba and Buff. Kulikov around 19 and Niku/Poolman and whoever else in the 17 minute range.
Morrissey and Trouba will most definitely be seeing a rise in ice time next season. Buff is going to the main cog in driving this team from the back end for as long as he is here, but Trouba and Morrissey are going to be the guys Mo looks to log the bigger minutes starting next seaon I believe.

I think we start to see Morrissey more on the PP next year as well.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
What specific "adjustments" do you suggest they should have made? The last 3 games were 1 goal games and the result could have been different had one bounce gone another way. They Jets were getting their chances, seems bizzare to "change your system" that got you #2 in the league in the regular season and got you to the Western Conference finals while beating the best team in the league in the process.

The fact that you are suggesting playing Hendricks as a solution is ridiculous.

I love the "change the system" cries, usually without elaborating on how or to what.

Vegas didn't change their system. Gallant, being the coaching genius he is, stuck with the impossibly hot goalie system. What a coach..

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Laine was ok throughout these playoffs but i would love if he would go with his future captain Scheif to Gary Roberts skating school this summer , Ehlers needs to gain more strength over the summer as well . Maybe Little wasn't their problem after all . ;)

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslo, JoMo, have never seen this much hockey, let alone at the intensity of the past 17 games.

It's going to tale a toll people, you don't learn that in one yart

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Laine was ok throughout these playoffs but i would love if he would go with his future captain Scheif to Gary Roberts skating school this summer , Ehlers needs to gain more strength over the summer as well . Maybe Little wasn't their problem after all . ;)

Seeing Ehlers in some of the Jets videos where he is in street clothes he looks like he’s 160 lbs, the playoffs are physical and lightweights get eaten up,

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
This stings and will probably take me close to a month to fully get over. I’ve always been this way. I’m 100% consumed by it where my team is concerned.

That said, before the playoffs began I said to basically everyone I knew that beating Nashville was all I wanted for Christmas this year. I viewed that team as the dragon that needed to be slayed and apparently so did the Jets. So much so that I believe it was the highest of highs and they couldn’t reach that point again against The Golden Showers.

Now, I appreciate optimism as much as the next guy, but all this talk about next season and it’s a learning experience etc just feels hollow. No experience in linear. There’s no guarantee that any of this helps make the Jets better and vaults them into the stratosphere of perennial contenders.

Still going to have to deal with Nashville not to mention the other Central teams that will undoubtedly make efforts to improve and they may not be so lucky getting by them next time. Probably have to attempt it without a savvy veteran like Stastny (who was key to beating Nashville)

It was a missed opportunity to get to the Stanley Cup Final.

As the song says, “the chance may never come again “.

Let’s go LIGHTNING!!!! I’d cheer for Washington as I want Ovechkin to win the cup but fear that Holtby and Caps has a greater chance of imploding than Tampa.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
In defence of the Jets’ Euro players like Laine and Ehlers being quite exhausted, in Europe, they don’t play an 82-game schedule and definitely not three rounds of playoffs.
Not true in fact. Laine played with all the international games and the playoffs all together around 100 games already in the 2015-2016 season in Europe, and he endured just fine until the end of the season. This season his problem was though that as he needed to get stronger too, and even though he trained also a lot of stamina, he just couldn’t handle his bigger body mass well enough. With the stamina he has at the moment.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Our boys did better than expected in these playoffs. Vegas is a curious case...
Yet Helly said "I thought this was our year". Before the start of the 2017-2018 season, no one expected the Jets to make the playoffs let alone finish No. 2 in the NHL in points after the disappointing season before.

I sense that Helly is not a popular player within the locker room.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Not true in fact. Laine played with all the international games and the playoffs all together around 100 games already in the 2015-2016 season in Europe, and he endured just fine until the end of the season. This season his problem was though that as he needed to get stronger too, and even though he trained also a lot of stamina, he just couldn’t handle his bigger body mass well enough. With the stamina he has at the moment.
What's Nik Ehlers' excuse then? Laine was overweight and should attend Gary Roberts' summer school just like Scheifele did.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I just hope Fleury returns to 2012/2013 form. Hope he gets pulled in game 1 of the final.
So many Jets fans here are sore losers. Do not wish bad things on Marc Andre Fleury. Instead, cheer for the Western Conference Champions Las Vegas Golden Knights to win the Stanley Cup.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
The pain is subsiding, this must be the acceptance phase. I definitely stayed in the anger phase for awhile. There was a guy at the gas station with a knights hat. I was about to tell him to go **** himself but then I remembered about being sane.
The sale of Golden Knights jerseys will skyrocket.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Still bummed out at the Jets being out of the playoffs just because of how flat we played yesterday . The other thing getting me is even if we somehow manage to make it to the WCF next year , will we have home ice advantage ? And then home ice advantage in the Stanley Cup finals ? Maybe but man everything was set up perfectly for us this year . Anyway we had a awesome year and i hope we do it again next season .

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Yet Helly said "I thought this was our year". Before the start of the 2017-2018 season, no one expected the Jets to make the playoffs let alone finish No. 2 in the NHL in points after the disappointing season before.

I sense that Helly is not a popular player within the locker room.
I sense that you make no sense. Your sense is completely broken if you sense that as nothing appears to be further from the truth judging by what I've seen from interviews and behind the scene clips.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Good season. Really missed certain players in the playoffs.

Need big steps from Laine and esp Ehlers. They are the ones who are going to have the big contracts to carry the team in 2 seasons and we have no shot if they are in the playoffs like they were this season.
Why do you bunch them together? Laine had a decent run and scored 2 goals in 5 games against the Knights. If other forwards chipped in with a couple of goals we'd still be in the race.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What a great season. I am SO proud of these guys for what they did. If you would have said Western Conference Finalists at the beginning of the year I would have been elated.

Lots of rumblings that the Nashville series exhausted the Jets mentally and physically, and it showed (THIS is why you don't have the 1st and 2nd place team in the league play in round 2.). There were also a lot of Jets with significant injuries.

I love you, Jets! Thanks for the season!

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Because outside of a few goals, Laine was largely ineffective.
Outside of a few goals? In case you missed it, VGK scored more than the Jets and won the series. That goal scoring thing is kind of the point in the game of hockey. Score more than you get scored on = win. Laine did his part in scoring AND being solid defensively. Don't take my word for it though, check the Jets players PO stats yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->