Jets fans around the world - introduce yourselves!

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I am kanadalainen.

I am a Winnipeg resident (with a couple of required leaves of absence over the years) and I was and am a fan of the WHA Jets (recall Veli-Pekka Ketola, anyone?), as well as the NHL Jets 1.0 and 2.0...so I cannot claim youth. :) However I'm very glad to have finally registered to participate in the ongoing discussion -> the site appears to be a fount of information. :nod:

I am enjoying the current version of the Jets - and am cautiously optimistic for their success, despite their ups and downs. To be honest I haven't seen this much reason for hope for this team since the early 90's and Selanne's rookie year (which also included Tkachuk and Zhamnov). This Jets team has many parallel pieces but has found itself in a very steep learning curve.

Favourite past NHLers: Jean Beliveau, Teemu Selanne, the Kris King/Tie Domi line, Anders Hedberg, Ulf Nillson, Joe Daley.
Darkest secret: Lived in Toronto for two years.

Last edited:

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I am kanadalainen.

I am a Winnipeg resident (with a couple of required leaves of absence over the years) and I was and am a fan of the WHA Jets (recall Veli-Pekka Ketola, anyone?), as well as the NHL Jets 1.0 and 2.0...so I cannot claim youth. :) However I'm very glad to have finally registered to participate in the ongoing discussion -> the site appears to be a fount of information. :nod:

I am enjoying the current version of the Jets - and am cautiously optimistic for their success, despite their ups and downs. To be honest I haven't seen this much reason for hope for this team since the early 90's and Selanne's rookie year (which also included Tkachuk and Zhamnov). This Jets team has many parallel pieces but has found itself in a very steep learning curve.

Favourite past NHLers: Jean Beliveau, Teemu Selanne, the Kris King/Tie Domi line, Anders Hedberg, Ulf Nillson, Joe Daley.

I used to love popping by his card shop when I was a kid. The only downside was my mom was always in a hurry to get home. I usually hung out at Provincial Stamp and Coin, so it was like a mini road trip for me :laugh:

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I used to love popping by his card shop when I was a kid. The only downside was my mom was always in a hurry to get home. I usually hung out at Provincial Stamp and Coin, so it was like a mini road trip for me :laugh:

Nice! When I was a kid, Esso had NHL Power Players stamps... I collected a complete book of all players. Noon lunchtimes was a time of intense trading!!

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I am a Winnipeg resident (with a couple of required leaves of absence over the years) and I was and am a fan of the WHA Jets (recall Veli-Pekka Ketola, anyone?), as well as the NHL Jets 1.0 and 2.0...so I cannot claim youth. :)

It has come up that a disturbingly large portion of the frequenting Finns on HFJets are Armia homeboys from the town of Pori where Ketola is the local team's legend and has his jersey in the rafters of their barn. :)

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I am kanadalainen.

I am a Winnipeg resident (with a couple of required leaves of absence over the years) and I was and am a fan of the WHA Jets (recall Veli-Pekka Ketola, anyone?)....

It has come up that a disturbingly large portion of the frequenting Finns on HFJets are Armia homeboys from the town of Pori where Ketola is the local team's legend and has his jersey in the rafters of their barn. :)

Welcome!
I remember Veli-Pekka Ketola fondly from the WHA days. I was just a kid...but I remember those days more clearly than yesterday :laugh: Hard to believe Ketola will turn 70 next year!
I didn't know he and Armia were from the same area of Finland. Both are/were great ambassadors!

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

"Disturbingly large proportion of the frequenting Finns.."..:laugh: :yo:

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Welcome!
I remember Veli-Pekka Ketola fondly from the WHA days. I was just a kid...but I remember those days more clearly than yesterday :laugh: Hard to believe Ketola will turn 70 next year!
I didn't know he and Armia were from the same area of Finland. Both are/were great ambassadors!

Thanks! Good things are found in bunches... near Pori. :handclap:

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I am kanadalainen.

Welcome!!

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
I am kanadalainen.

Welcome to the party! :handclap:

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
Sorry, Another Finn here.. :)

Growing up Teemu Selänne was my hero so obviously Jets as a team interested me as well, and since they returned to league I've been rooting for them.

Jets have had some of the absolute top Finnish talent playing for them over the years. Teemu, Teppo Numminen and now of couse Patrik Laine..

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Sorry, Another Finn here.. :)

Growing up Teemu Selänne was my hero so obviously Jets as a team interested me as well, and since they returned to league I've been rooting for them.

Jets have had some of the absolute top Finnish talent playing for them over the years. Teemu, Teppo Numminen and now of couse Patrik Laine..

Welcome Vohaul, apology accepted. Winnipeg is unique in the NHL with its many fans from Finland. Lucky for Winnipeg to acquire Laine especially with Selanne being a big part of their history.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I thought this would fit in this thread. Expect more and more Finns in the future - the Jets have now become the unofficial favorite team of whole Finland. Yesterday I visited the local sports equipment store, and this is what I found in their sports club clothing section:

20k82yq.jpg

Huge amount of Jets gear (considering the size of the store). I'd understand this in Tampere (Laine's hometown) or even in Pori (Armia's hometown), but the city I live in is 300 km away. :amazed:

Another noteworthy thing: not that I was exactly looking for, but the only other NHL team gear I saw was half a dozen Oilers shirts. So yeah, the Jets have a special place in Finnish hearts. I guess a lot of us (me included) have had a soft spot for the team since the days of thunder with Finnish Flash, and drafting Laine to Winnipeg just ignited a bonfire.

So, who's the next lurker to come out of the closet? :popcorn:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I thought this would fit in this thread. Expect more and more Finns in the future - the Jets have now become the unofficial favorite team of whole Finland. Yesterday I visited the local sports equipment store, and this is what I found in their sports club clothing section:

20k82yq.jpg

Huge amount of Jets gear (considering the size of the store). I'd understand this in Tampere (Laine's hometown) or even in Pori (Armia's hometown), but the city I live in is 300 km away. :amazed:

Another noteworthy thing: not that I was exactly looking for, but the only other NHL team gear I saw was half a dozen Oilers shirts. So yeah, the Jets have a special place in Finnish hearts. I guess a lot of us (me included) have had a soft spot for the team since the days of thunder with Finnish Flash, and drafting Laine to Winnipeg just ignited a bonfire.

That's really cool.

25 years ago I went into a sports store in London, England and found two NHL jackets for sale.

They were from the Canadiens and the Jets.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
That's unreal with respect to the store, Finland and Jets. Really fun. Thanks for sharing.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

20k82yq.jpg

Very cool.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

20k82yq.jpg

Awesome.

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg

20k82yq.jpg

Love the Finnish connection to the peg especially considering some of the talent coming out of Finland atm, hopefully we can use this relationship to capitalize on some of that skill! I would love for us to draft Ikonen, kid's legit.

RandomJetsFan

Apr 19, 2014
manitoba
I live in the out skirts of winnipeg and I'm not sure where to put this but I owe the fan base an apology for my comments about the leafs taking the Colorado avs curse once again I'm sorry for letting my upset keyboard take control :p I just get sick of the biased leaf fans and media

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada

Got a laine rookie card joe is grading it for me! They're good people

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
I live in the out skirts of winnipeg and I'm not sure where to put this but I owe the fan base an apology for my comments about the leafs taking the Colorado avs curse once again I'm sorry for letting my upset keyboard take control :p I just get sick of the biased leaf fans and media

Don't blame you, we should start a private leaf trashing thread to vent lol.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
In comparison: I never EVER saw ANY Jets merch in Germany or elswhere in central Europe. None. Nope. Zero.

Actually it's even hard to get decent Jets merch if you want to order it online. You might find a shirt or a cap here and there, but all the stuff that looked cool I found and wanted to buy was never available for me here.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
In comparison: I never EVER saw ANY Jets merch in Germany or elswhere in central Europe. None. Nope. Zero.

Actually it's even hard to get decent Jets merch if you want to order it online. You might find a shirt or a cap here and there, but all the stuff that looked cool I found and wanted to buy was never available for me here.

Pro tip: get a HF Jets STH on side and enjoy their discount and cheaper shipping options. :nod:

(Cheers buggs :laugh:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad