Post-Game Talk: Jets destroy Avs 6-1

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Pretty dominant game by the Jets. Another adjCorsi (59.74%) and xGF (59.26%) win. Here's the running tally:

WLOTPts%GFGADiff
adjCF% > 502565.76412577+48
xGF% > 502553.80311158+53
adjCF% < 50994.5006477-13
xGF% < 509106.4807896-18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The Jets have won the adjCF battle in 62% of their games this season. xGF wins are at 57%.

Since the Kings game on November 22 that seemed to be the turning point of the season for the team, the Jets are:

3rd in adjCF%
3rd in CF/60
3rd in CA/60

1st in HDCF%
7th in HDCF/60
3rd in HDCA/60

22nd in SV%
18th in SH%
with a PDO of .995.

I can't easily limit Corsica to specific periods, but the Jets are 8th in Corsica's xGF% (52.05) at even strength since the beginning of the season. I figure they'd be higher in that ranking because the Jets xGF% average for games 1-20 was 47.21% and since then it's 54.69%. Dallas is the whole-season leader in xGF% right now with 54.48.

Here's the 2 season adjCF% - you can clearly see the turning point around Game 100.
View attachment 98659

22nd in SV% surprises me a little. Kind of busts that myth that the Jets are only successful because of Vezina Hellebuyck.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
22nd in SV% surprises me a little. Kind of busts that myth that the Jets are only successful because of Vezina Hellebuyck.
Well that's 5v5 since Nov 21. The Jets are also 3rd in PK SV% over that time with a .912 - which is pretty amazing.

The Jets were 10th in even strength SV% from the start of the season until Nov 21. Hellebuyck was 7th in ES SV% over the first 20 games for goalies over 200 minutes (2nd amongst starters) with a .938. He's 29th (20th amongst starters) with a .919 since.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I'll take "Misguided Beliefs" for $400, Alex. :facepalm:
I don't know about that ... I go to the Jet games in Vancouver lots of people wearing Jet gear and I never had or seen a problem.
I think it's obviously dependent on different factors but it's generally much safer to do nowadays based on the increased level of tolerance or "inclusion" in our society.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Bang on, I commented after the 1st that I hadn't seen Laine and Ehlers below the goal line working the puck that much all year. In fact it was exactly that type of work that led to the Copp opportunity that he unfortunaely whifffed on. Body position is so key, especially at the NHL level, it's a big part of what makes Schief, Wheeler and Perreault so effective, they have great angles and know how to get position. It's not simply a matter of strength, this is the part of the game that Laine is still working on and last night he was pretty effective at it. It buys him more time, which is so precious at this level, space is taken away so quickly.

Copp did a terrific job going through lanes and taking guys with him, when they didn't Laine and Ehlers found him, he was excellent. That's as much about offensive hockey ad playing with the puck, what Copp did off the puck set the tone for that line. Their breakouts were as good as I've seen all year as well, Laine was coming through the neutral zone with pace, the matchups really helped them in that regard.
Thanks for the analysis for those of us who couldn’t watch.

Reactions: Ducky10

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I don't know about that ... I go to the Jet games in Vancouver lots of people wearing Jet gear and I never had or seen a problem.

Yeah -- getting doused with someone else's popcorn while minding your own business in an Avs jersey is not okay. Before we moved to Canada I lived a short walk from Arsenal's then hime stadium and used to catch a few games a year. My friend insisted on wearing his Chelsea shirt to every effing game, and even then suffered only verbal abuse.

Popcorn Lady should have been tossed/barred for that.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Yeah -- getting doused with someone else's popcorn while minding your own business in an Avs jersey is not okay. Before we moved to Canada I lived a short walk from Arsenal's then hime stadium and used to catch a few games a year. My friend insisted on wearing his Chelsea shirt to every effing game, and even then suffered only verbal abuse.

See this is why Arsenal never wins anything.

I kid, I kid.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Remember the good ol days when they used to throw darts at UK football matches?!? Good times!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Is that taken over the larger sample size like the graph reflects from 2016-2018?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I always wonder why we don't use Corsi instead of SOG for sv% or perhaps even fenwick

I mean a goalie actually invented the stat right? Where's @garret9 when you need him

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Thanks to Guardian for posting the tweets. I converted them to GIF's. Save them for future use
This one has 3 songs: Sweet Caroline, Thank God I'm A Country Boy and Shook Me All Night Long
r8MYwRT.gif

This one just has Thank God I'm A Country Boy
f2rszhr.gif

Here is some better video straight off the Jets' website.

[/QUOTE]

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Is that taken over the larger sample size like the graph reflects from 2016-2018?
The graph is just 5v5 adjCorsi since the start of last season (2016-17 to present). The SV% number was from the Nov 22, 2017 Kings game to present. The Jets were kind of eye-test and adjCorsi/xGF crap up until that point and they've been the opposite since.

I think Hellebuyck played amazing in the first 20 games and saved the season (and the stats bear that out). Look what happened to Edmonton when they were dominating xGF and Corsi early and still losing anyway because of goaltending and bad bounces - the whole season went straight in the shitter. If the Jets go 8-12-2 in their first 20 games, even with all else being equal we're slugging it out for the WC right now...and that's only if the whole team doesn't implode psychologically.

I don't think it's a myth that Hellebuyck saved the season - he did, until the team got its feet under it.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The graph is just 5v5 adjCorsi since the start of last season (2016-17 to present). The SV% number was from the Nov 22, 2017 Kings game to present. The Jets were kind of eye-test and adjCorsi/xGF crap up until that point and they've been the opposite since.

I think Hellebuyck played amazing in the first 20 games and saved the season (and the stats bear that out). Look what happened to Edmonton when they were dominating xGF and Corsi early and still losing anyway because of goaltending and bad bounces - the whole season went straight in the ****ter. If the Jets go 8-12-2 in their first 20 games, even with all else being equal we're slugging it out for the WC right now...and that's only if the whole team doesn't implode psychologically.

I don't think it's a myth that Hellebuyck saved the season - he did, until the team got its feet under it.

I meant more that it's a continuing belief. He was the difference early.

Reactions: Gm0ney

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I always wonder why we don't use Corsi instead of SOG for sv% or perhaps even fenwick

I mean a goalie actually invented the stat right? Where's @garret9 when you need him

Those things are available on stat websites, and FenSV% seems to actually be *marginally* superior to regular SV%.

Corsi SV% seems to introduce more team confounding variables than it removes noise by increasing sample.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

SOG
Snacks on guest

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Not so bad unless it was a loaded Jets dog or gelatinous barf nachos.

Edit, poutine might suck as well.

Oh the smell memory of the gelatinous barf nachos.... great word/smell picture
It was a very awful thing to do to someone.
People these days..,:

Reactions: Ducky10

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
That was a statement game.
A young player doesn’t try to pick a fight during a very one sided game and not expect push back.
Buff was awesome and I had no problems with the response.
Often we criticize Buff for his play and attitude but certainly that was not the case last night.
Buff is a huge part of the room and his response in essence is a signal to the rest of the league going forward that this team will not be pushed around.
Great win and a galvanizing moment in the Jets season.

It's nice that Buff and Hendricks will stand up for our smaller talented, and physically less aggressive players. The word gets around to the players in the NHL mighty quickly, and that is, don't mess around with the Jets, or you'll face the consequences.

Buff took it to a very big Jamie Benn ( Dallas) and the guy from the Av's last night, and took a couple extra shots at him when the guy was down. Players will view Buff as kind of crazy, and will be really watching for him when he's on the ice. The forwards also know and are "very wary" about going into the corners when Buff is on the ice, and that throws them off their game. Buff is valuable to have and talented as well.

Some teams in the past like the old Flyer teams of the 80's used to rely on "intimidation" to scare and get players off their game-- "and it worked" as they won 2 Stanley Cups. The game has changed though, but intimidation is still a factor, and I think we've made a statement in that regard. Hendricks also handled Cody McLeod pretty good, and McLeod was trying to stir up trouble.

I should also note that the dynasty Oiler teams of the 80's had either Semenko or McSorley looking out for Gretzky and some of their other guys. Without these types of enforcers around, these talent players would play a lot more timidly, and wouldn't produce the same results. We have to be aware of this !!!

I don't view Buff as dirty -- but I do view him as a team player, and he and Hendricks will answer the bell, if teams think they can beat us by dishing out the "rough stuff". Teams like Anaheim and others will be very aware, that not only do the Jet's have major talent, they also have tough guys if needed, and those guys will answer the bell, and stand up for their teammates.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Wear opposing team jersey at your own risk. The popcorn incident is an absolutely disgraceful and disgusting act, but having said that when you wear a jersey other than the home teams, a very small part of you is knowingly trolling

So if I wear a Jets jersey to a Jets game in Nashville I’m trolling? Gee thanks for the lesson!

Reactions: Paul Maurice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad