Post-Game Talk: Jets destroy Avs 6-1

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Sounds like I missed a good one and one of the only I’ve missed all year! Glad to hear all the updates seem to be flattering the new lines and our future.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I’m surprised Landeskog didn’t stick his nose in the dirty business.

I suppose if an opportunity had presented itself to give a cheap shot to a smaller, defenseless player then run away, he would have. When I hear his name, I think of the Boggies in Bored of the Rings. Here is a nice summation of what Boggies are all about:

Though likely to attack only in cold blood, and killing only for money, they remained masters of the low blow and the gang up. They were crack shots and very handy with all sorts of equalizers; and any small, slow, and stupid beast that turned its back on a crowd of Boggies was looking for a stomping.

Landesboggie. It has a ring to it. :nod:

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Didn't catch the game...how did our new third line look?

Btw, seeing how effective Patty is on PP...should we start to play him on both PPs...at least at times?

There hasn1t been much comment on this yet to the best of my recollection. Based strictly on watching the game live (w/o advantage of the pvr) I thought that both Ehlers and Laine played a much better game and somewhat differently than they have in the past. They seemed to be getting more in tune with what Maurice wants of them in terms of attempted pressure forecheck and even modest cycle work. They were both going deeper into the offensive zone, and importantly did not evacuate the zone prematurely as they have been inclined to do until now. This would be a very positive step forward indeed if done on a consistent basis. I thought Copp did a very good job helping these guys, both in the offensive and defensive zones, exactly as might be hoped given his style of play. Keep in mind though that they were at home where Maurice could shelter them through line matchups.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
There hasn1t been much comment on this yet to the best of my recollection. Based strictly on watching the game live (w/o advantage of the pvr) I thought that both Ehlers and Laine played a much better game and somewhat differently than they have in the past. They seemed to be getting more in tune with what Maurice wants of them in terms of attempted pressure forecheck and even modest cycle work. They were both going deeper into the offensive zone, and importantly did not evacuate the zone prematurely as they have been inclined to do until now. This would be a very positive step forward indeed if done on a consistent basis. I thought Copp did a very good job helping these guys, both in the offensive and defensive zones, exactly as might be hoped given his style of play. Keep in mind though that they were at home where Maurice could shelter them through line matchups.
Bang on, I commented after the 1st that I hadn't seen Laine and Ehlers below the goal line working the puck that much all year. In fact it was exactly that type of work that led to the Copp opportunity that he unfortunaely whifffed on. Body position is so key, especially at the NHL level, it's a big part of what makes Schief, Wheeler and Perreault so effective, they have great angles and know how to get position. It's not simply a matter of strength, this is the part of the game that Laine is still working on and last night he was pretty effective at it. It buys him more time, which is so precious at this level, space is taken away so quickly.

Copp did a terrific job going through lanes and taking guys with him, when they didn't Laine and Ehlers found him, he was excellent. That's as much about offensive hockey ad playing with the puck, what Copp did off the puck set the tone for that line. Their breakouts were as good as I've seen all year as well, Laine was coming through the neutral zone with pace, the matchups really helped them in that regard.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Bang on, I commented after the 1st that I hadn't seen Laine and Ehlers below the goal line working the puck that much all year. In fact it was exactly that type of work that led to the Copp opportunity that he unfortunaely whifffed on. Body position is so key, especially at the NHL level, it's a big part of what makes Schief, Wheeler and Perreault so effective, they have great angles and know how to get position. It's not simply a matter of strength, this is the part of the game that Laine is still working on and last night he was pretty effective at it. It buys him more time, which is so precious at this level, space is taken away so quickly.

Copp did a terrific job going through lanes and taking guys with him, when they didn't Laine and Ehlers found him, he was excellent. That's as much about offensive hockey ad playing with the puck, what Copp did off the puck set the tone for that line. Their breakouts were as good as I've seen all year as well, Laine was coming through the neutral zone with pace, the matchups really helped them in that regard.

Maurice commented on the line post game. Specifically said he like Laine's game a lot. Playing with more speed. Harder on pucks. He also said he didn't like one shift in particular (you know which one)

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Chiarot has been the biggest surprise for me. He’s actually pretty good.

Mo even mentioned in an interview that the Jets were icing 6 NHL D men and that was with Chariot in the lineup!

He had said that earlier with the big 5 Dman and Enstrom in the lineup earlier in the season!

Reactions: GNP and Tommigun

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
At the game last night in great lower bowl seats. Right in front of us was a dad and his son and the son's GF, kid looked around 18 or 19, dad in a Jets jersey, son in an Avs jersey. Poor kid didn't have much to cheer about and his dad was razzing him pretty good, all in good fun... although he did pop down and pose for some photos behind the Avs bench with the players in the background.

Then with about 5 to go in the game this 40ish woman with a smug look suddenly appears beside his row and dumps her entire bag of popcorn over the kid in the Avs jersey. Took a few seconds for all of us to realize what had happened while she scurried up to the exit and disappeared. We thought what?... she must know him... my wife asked the kid did you know her, he just shrugged and said no. She helped him pick the popcorn out of his hoodie. The dad was kind of laughing it off at first saying well at least it wasn't a beer before he kind of changed his mind and said wow that's pretty rude.

What the hell is wrong with people? Imagine if that was a family in visiting from Colorado. Nice job.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Sporting spectacles can bring out a lot of thugs actually. I had a couple incidents at the old stadium during Bomber games mind you I wore an Eskimo jersey once. I can handle any of the verbal stuff but not cool when it escalates to more than that. Even had a kerfluffle in the old arena back in 1.0 days and I wasn't even drunk yet and cheering for the Jets.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
At the game last night in great lower bowl seats. Right in front of us was a dad and his son and the son's GF, kid looked around 18 or 19, dad in a Jets jersey, son in an Avs jersey. Poor kid didn't have much to cheer about and his dad was razzing him pretty good, all in good fun... although he did pop down and pose for some photos behind the Avs bench with the players in the background.

Then with about 5 to go in the game this 40ish woman with a smug look suddenly appears beside his row and dumps her entire bag of popcorn over the kid in the Avs jersey. Took a few seconds for all of us to realize what had happened while she scurried up to the exit and disappeared. We thought what?... she must know him... my wife asked the kid did you know her, he just shrugged and said no. She helped him pick the popcorn out of his hoodie. The dad was kind of laughing it off at first saying well at least it wasn't a beer before he kind of changed his mind and said wow that's pretty rude.

What the hell is wrong with people? Imagine if that was a family in visiting from Colorado. Nice job.
Good grief, some people are such losers. If I saw that I'd do my best to make sure security got to her and hopefully she never had the privilege of seeing anothet game.

What a clown.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Sporting spectacles can bring out a lot of thugs actually. I had a couple incidents at the old stadium during Bomber games mind you I wore an Eskimo jersey once. I can handle any of the verbal stuff but not cool when it escalates to more than that. Even had a kerfluffle in the old arena back in 1.0 days and I wasn't even drunk yet and cheering for the Jets.
Bomber games at the old stadium could be pretty vicious, especially in the upper deck or occasionally in the old section S student section.

I used to feel bad when I saw kids in the upper deck and the loogans were swearing at the top of their lungs.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Am I the only one who can't figure out how to do multi-quotes on this new platform? :ha::laugh:

This will have no context but Trouba is not resigning here and Myers is NOT better than Trouba. I mean I love the guy but come on.

Love seeing Buff fired up and contributing. This is what I want to see from him in the playoffs, hopefully he won't try to do too much. I didn't like him punching Greer when the linesman had Greer wrapped up, but I LOVE him sticking up for Wheeler.

Did you guys see him giving it to Hendricks on the PP when he basically put himself offside. Savage! :laugh:

Reactions: ps241

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017

Wear opposing team jersey at your own risk. The popcorn incident is an absolutely disgraceful and disgusting act, but having said that when you wear a jersey other than the home teams, a very small part of you is knowingly trolling

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Am I the only one who can't figure out how to do multi-quotes on this new platform? :ha::laugh:

This will have no context but Trouba is not resigning here and Myers is NOT better than Trouba. I mean I love the guy but come on.

Love seeing Buff fired up and contributing. This is what I want to see from him in the playoffs, hopefully he won't try to do too much. I didn't like him punching Greer when the linesman had Greer wrapped up, but I LOVE him sticking up for Wheeler.

Did you guys see him giving it to Hendricks on the PP when he basically put himself offside. Savage! :laugh:
Hit as many quotes as you want and then hit the "insert quotes" button before posting. :).

Reactions: Jet

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
It's worth noting that we've earned 6 out of 8 possible points out of this division rival. Pretty happy with that.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
..when you wear a jersey other than the home teams, a very small part of you is knowingly trolling

No, I disagree with this as an absolute statement. There certainly are circumstances where you are not trolling if you wear an opposing team's jersey to a game.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Wear opposing team jersey at your own risk. The popcorn incident is an absolutely disgraceful and disgusting act, but having said that when you wear a jersey other than the home teams, a very small part of you is knowingly trolling
I don't know about that ... I go to the Jet games in Vancouver lots of people wearing Jet gear and I never had or seen a problem.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Pretty dominant game by the Jets. Another adjCorsi (59.74%) and xGF (59.26%) win. Here's the running tally:

WLOTPts%GFGADiff
adjCF% > 502565.76412577+48
xGF% > 502553.80311158+53
adjCF% < 50994.5006477-13
xGF% < 509106.4807896-18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The Jets have won the adjCF battle in 62% of their games this season. xGF wins are at 57%.

Since the Kings game on November 22 that seemed to be the turning point of the season for the team, the Jets are:

3rd in adjCF%
3rd in CF/60
3rd in CA/60

1st in HDCF%
7th in HDCF/60
3rd in HDCA/60

22nd in SV%
18th in SH%
with a PDO of .995.

I can't easily limit Corsica to specific periods, but the Jets are 8th in Corsica's xGF% (52.05) at even strength since the beginning of the season. I figure they'd be higher in that ranking because the Jets xGF% average for games 1-20 was 47.21% and since then it's 54.69%. Dallas is the whole-season leader in xGF% right now with 54.48.

Here's the 2 season adjCF% - you can clearly see the turning point around Game 100.
upload_2018-2-17_12-59-24.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad