Jets Board WJC Pool (Hero of Canton is your champion)

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Very surprised by that result, but then I realize I did choose Gibson (sorry) and no Canadians....

Re: Gibson.....yes, I was robbed again!

mzappa if you lose by 4pts or less, I really feel for you buddy. Gibson should have had the SO here, prevented from it by the bad call by the officials. Combine that with the 3rd period resting against Germany, just ouch. He should have 3 SO's.

ps241 has climbed out of the basement, at least for now...we'll see how the RUS-SWE game goes...

EDIT: Two goals and an assist for Dano in Slovakia's 5-3 win over Latvia (to clinch that they won't get relegated) extends my lead...

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Here's the Jan 3rd standings. One game left for every team, getting down the wire. Still probably 5 teams with a chance to win.

RTEmagicC_USA-flag_05.jpg.jpg
RTEmagicC_SUI-flag_03.jpg.jpg
RTEmagicC_FIN-flag_07.jpg.jpg
RTEmagicC_SVK-flag_03.jpg.jpg
RTEmagicC_GER-flag_13.jpg.jpg
RTEmagicC_LAT-flag_02.jpg.jpg
RTEmagicC_CZE-flag_11.jpg.jpg
RTEmagicC_RUS-flag_03.jpg.jpg
RTEmagicC_SWE-flag_09.jpg.jpg
RTEmagicC_CAN-flag_01.jpg.jpg

Rank | Standings | GOALS | ASSISTS | WINS | SO | POOL POINTS
1|Holden Caulfield|16|23|3|0|45
2|Hero of Canton|17|23|1|0|42
3|mzappa|10|17|4|1|37
4|Sweech|10|26|0|0|36
5|Jets|12|15|4|0|35
6|Hank Chinaski|10|19|0|0|29
6|Canadian Airlines|11|12|3|0|29
8|Flying High|7|14|2|0|25
8|ps241|15|10|0|0|25
10|Hammer Slammer|3|10|3|1|22

3 pt game from Dano helps me reclaim the lead. mzappa continues to tear up the standings, on the back of Gibson mostly, who has the most pool pts of any player now and could/should have 4 more :amazed:. Hero of Canton, mzappa, Sweech and Jets and I are probably the contenders left, it's a lot of ground to cover for the rest of everybody.

The key to the pool it appears...avoid Canada. Hero of Canton, mzappa and I are the only people with no Canadians, and are 1, 2, and 3. :laugh:

In other news ps241 has moved into tie for 8th. Steadily climbing back :D

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
I didn't avoid Canadians on purpose, honest!

Can I launch an appeal to the IIHF to re-install 4 more points for Gibson? :help:

Here's the Jan 3rd standings. One game left for every team, getting down the wire. Still probably 5 teams with a chance to win.

3|mzappa|10|17|4|1|37
4|Sweech|10|26|0|0|36
5|Jets|12|15|4|0|35
8|ps241|15|10|0|0|25

3 pt game from Dano helps me reclaim the lead. mzappa continues to tear up the standings, on the back of Gibson mostly, who has the most pool pts of any player now and could/should have 4 more :amazed:. Hero of Canton, mzappa, Sweech and Jets and I are probably the contenders left, it's a lot of ground to cover for the rest of everybody.

The key to the pool it appears...avoid Canada. Hero of Canton, mzappa and I are the only people with no Canadians, and are 1, 2, and 3. :laugh:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
mzappa, i was wrong with my prediction that you would win but you made a hell of a move to the top, you still have a slight chance but I think Holden is fudging the stats so you won't win ;)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

3|mzappa|10|17|4|1|37
4|Sweech|10|26|0|0|36
5|Jets|12|15|4|0|35
8|ps241|15|10|0|0|25

Great pool and lots of fun. I am just happy to stay with the pack and not be picked off by a thinning of the heard Darwin type event!! would have been a bit happier if my meteoric rise :sarcasm: wasn't on the back of 5 USA points today.

edit: full disclosure moment, You know you are in over your head when you have to do a Google search to figure out who a player was on draft day (Marko Dano) that is outscoring all but 1 player on my team. HA HA!!!!

Last edited:

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
We were all there. I had a few moments researching Swiss D-men I never heard of. That sure worked out for me :shakehead

EDIT - Oli Maata, I will NEVER forgive you for the big goose egg in points!!!!

Great pool and lots of fun. I am just happy to stay with the pack and not be picked off by a thinning of the heard Darwin type event!! would have been a bit happier if my meteoric rise :sarcasm: wasn't on the back of 5 USA points today.

edit: full disclosure moment, You know you are in over your head when you have to do a Google search to figure out who a player was on draft day (Marko Dano) that is outscoring all but 1 player on my team. HA HA!!!!

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
haha yeah ps241, by the last little while I think we were all googling players...honestly I had never heard of Sven Andrighetto before, and he is having one hell of a tourney...but that's far from the only one, on my team I had never heard of Pavelka (which didn't work out I guess), but yeah there was plenty of players I had never heard of, and past the first 3-4 rounds I was doing lots of research :laugh: Not Dano though, I've been talking him up for months :D

Last edited:

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
haha yeah ps241, by the last little while I think we were all googling players...honestly I had never heard of Sven Andrighetto before, and he is having one hell of a tourney...but that's far from the only one, on my team I had never heard of Pavelka (which didn't work out I guess), but yeah there was plenty of players I had never heard of, and past the first 3-4 rounds I was doing lots of research :laugh: Not Dano though, I've been talking him up for months :D

My Google-fu was not strong enough in this tournament.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
My Google-fu was not strong enough in this tournament.

:laugh:

I'll be honest right now. After the draft I had you pegged last. Sorry bro. Both Jenner and Faksa were going to play 3rd line minutes (although you got unlikely with the Jenner suspension for the high scoring German and Slovak games), Hartman and de la Rose were unlikely to see many minutes, and I honestly had not heard of Mironov (plus I had no idea who was going to play many minutes of the Russian blueline). Loved the Vasilevski and Sergeyev picks where you got them, and the Ouellet/Ritchie picks I thought were solid(although I don't care much for Ritchie), but the rest...

Sorry, just my opinion...not that you picked bad players, just not the right mix for a pool like this...

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Much respect and thanks!

One day when I have time (like February if there is no NHL season), I'll do a forensic mathematical analysis of these so-called pool "numbers"........

(INSERT SUPER-SKEPTICAL LOOKING EMOTICON HERE!!)

mzappa, i was wrong with my prediction that you would win but you made a hell of a move to the top, you still have a slight chance but I think Holden is fudging the stats so you won't win ;)

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
:laugh:

I'll be honest right now. After the draft I had you pegged last. Sorry bro. Both Jenner and Faksa were going to play 3rd line minutes (although you got unlikely with the Jenner suspension for the high scoring German and Slovak games), Hartman and de la Rose were unlikely to see many minutes, and I honestly had not heard of Mironov (plus I had no idea who was going to play many minutes of the Russian blueline). Loved the Vasilevski and Sergeyev picks where you got them, and the Ouellet/Ritchie picks I thought were solid(although I don't care much for Ritchie), but the rest...

Sorry, just my opinion...not that you picked bad players, just not the right mix for a pool like this...

:laugh: No worries, I knew I'd be terrible. Mostly a crapshoot on my part.

Lux Aurumque*

My Canadian players were massive disappointments.

I was considering going with Arvidsson over Lipsbergs or Sedlak. Really wish I had gone with him.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Taking Binnington in the 3rd round was a huge blunder for me. My rationale was that Subban would probably falter, and even if he didn't, Binnington would probably good for a gimme win. What a bust of a pick. Would've been sweet to pick up Miller or Granlund...:cry:

MacKinnon and Harrington were also huge disappointments for me.

Lux Aurumque*

Biggest disappointment on my team was Reinhart. He's so amazing to watch with the Oil Kings, I figured he was a sure bet for a goal or two and a few assists.

Gotta admit though, I'm very, very pleased with Niklas Lundstrom. I took a major gamble taking him so early with the uncertainty in net for Sweden. Somehow, I ended up with a goalie who took the reins and led his team to the gold medal game. I don't think anybody was expecting Sweden to do so well.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
:laugh: No worries, I knew I'd be terrible. Mostly a crapshoot on my part.

I was considering going with Arvidsson over Lipsbergs or Sedlak. Really wish I had gone with him.

Taking Binnington in the 3rd round was a huge blunder for me. My rationale was that Subban would probably falter, and even if he didn't, Binnington would probably good for a gimme win. What a bust of a pick. Would've been sweet to pick up Miller or Granlund...:cry:

Biggest disappointment on my team was Reinhart. He's so amazing to watch with the Oil Kings, I figured he was a sure bet for a goal or two and a few assists.

Gotta admit though, I'm very, very pleased with Niklas Lundstrom. I took a major gamble taking him so early with the uncertainty in net for Sweden. Somehow, I ended up with a goalie who took the reins and led his team to the gold medal game. I don't think anybody was expecting Sweden to do so well.

my biggest disappointment is my general manager ;)

To your point Hammer I knew I was in over my head "this year" and if I am to finish last it will be a very accurate reflection of my knowledge of the prospects compared to my fellow draft mates. Here's the golden part though........I have learned more about prospects and players by being in this draft than I have ever known in the past. Sometimes it’s fun just to jump in and figure it out as you go (ready fire aim). The first year can be the toughest but it’s usually the most fun as well.

Hammer I am still gunning for you because I want the worst to first title next year :sarcasm: (says the Monty Python black knight)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

I thought Binnington would steal the starter role as well, or at least get wins in basically gimme games versus Germany and Slovakia, can't remember the last time a Canadian team rode one goalie...not too mention how much better he looked last game. MacKinnon is another Spott just hated for no reason, he should have been given more of a chance, people are raving about Drouin, but MacKinnon is the better player...

Well Lundstrom was the 3rd last goalie taken. It was a toss up for me between Bartosak and Lundstrom, I took Bartosak partly since I knew Hero of Canton was targetting Lundstrom 3 picks after mine (didn't want to take advantage of a list).

Reinhart was always going to be the defensive member of the 3rd pairing, didn't think he would contribute offensively. Not with Ouellet, Reilly, Murphy, Hamilton all on team.

Anyways, people with Finns are in for a nice boost (mzappa you have a real chance). They are up 7-3 on Slovakia after 2 right now.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Since we're 'picking our worst picks'....Ollii Maata D, FINLAND. All the previews and reports I read had him on the first D line and putting up PP points etc. How he hasn't got one point.....:shakehead

And of course, I'd like to re-re-re-visit the fact John Gibson should have given me 4 more points for: 1) a shutout that wasn't awarded under ridiculous IIHF rules vs Germany, and 2) another shutout denied by a Canadian goal that happened after a whistle.

just sayin', i'm not bitter or anything!

:sarcasm:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Since we're 'picking our worst picks'....Ollii Maata D, FINLAND. All the previews and reports I read had him on the first D line and putting up PP points etc. How he hasn't got one point.....:shakehead

And of course, I'd like to re-re-re-visit the fact John Gibson should have given me 4 more points for: 1) a shutout that wasn't awarded under ridiculous IIHF rules vs Germany, and 2) another shutout denied by a Canadian goal that happened after a whistle.

Maata has 2 assists today...and now a goal...****

Actually it's the same in the NHL, if a goalie does not play the whole game he does not get credit for the SO...if the NHL awarded it, I would likely give it to you, since I have been following other NHL standards like giving the goalies wins for SO wins and not counting SO winners as goals. But those things are just logical whereas the SO thing is a little more gray than that...

Honestly, I had forgotten about IIHF rules with regards to SO winners and Goalie wins, and had not considered the possibility of a goalie not playing the whole game in an SO...I'll make sure the rules are clearer next year...

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My man Hyka (does that name not sound like the noise you make when you clear your throat to spit?) with 3 points for the Czech today :laugh:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I really liked what I saw of Maata in the memorial cup last year especially as the games became more important. I think he is a very smooth, solid, defensive prospect. If we had drafted a bit later I would have had no problem with the Jets selecting him.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Holy hell, I have EIGHT points from Finland today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Maata has 2 assists today...and now a goal...****

Actually it's the same in the NHL, if a goalie does not play the whole game he does not get credit for the SO...if the NHL awarded it, I would likely give it to you, since I have been following other NHL standards like giving the goalies wins for SO wins and not counting SO winners as goals. But those things are just logical whereas the SO thing is a little more gray than that...

Honestly, I had forgotten about IIHF rules with regards to SO winners and Goalie wins, and had not considered the possibility of a goalie not playing the whole game in an SO...I'll make sure the rules are clearer next year...

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Totally forgot about the game today, looks like Armia and Salomaki combined for 7 points! Woohoo!

I thought Binnington would steal the starter role as well, or at least get wins in basically gimme games versus Germany and Slovakia, can't remember the last time a Canadian team rode one goalie...not too mention how much better he looked last game.

And that's just it (the bolded). There was Pogge in 2006 and Price in 2007, but those were absolutely dominant goaltending performances from start to finish. Every year since then, they've given both tenders a chance. When I heard Subban would start vs. Germany, I thought for sure Binnington would start vs. Slovakia, and that they'd ride the hot goalie from that point onward.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Here's today's standings following Finlands 11 goals...

1|Holden Caulfield|17|28|4|0|53
2|Hero of Canton|20|26|1|0|48
2|mzappa|14|24|4|1|48
4|Hank Chinaski|16|23|0|0|39
5|Sweech|12|26|0|0|38
6|Jets|12|15|4|0|35
7|Canadian Airlines|11|15|3|0|32
8|Flying High|7|15|3|0|28
8|ps241|16|12|0|0|28
10|Hammer Slammer|4|10|3|1|22

Of note, would be games remaining, which why I am worried. Hero has Yarullin, Kucherov and they may even start Makarov...of course mzappa has Gibson, you could easily put up 4pts, then just needs a pity point somewhere else. It'll be an interesting final day.

Holden - 3
Hero - 5
mzappa - 4
Hank - 6
Sweech - 6
Jets - 10
Cdn Air - 6
Flying - 7
ps241 - 7
Hammer - 8

Also, I am going to do a full review later on in the day. It's possible an error here or there snuck in during updates, so I will take the official IIHF scoring check everything. A clarification on rules, I am following IIHF conventions with two exceptions, since they make no sense to me. 1) SO winners do not count as goals. 2)Goalies who win in a SO do get the win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad