News Article: Jets are an enigma, but you can't knock their hustle

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
dynamic_resize

Jets are an enigma, but you can't knock their hustle

Ted Wyman, Postmedia Network
Nov 5, 2016

NEW YORK — I’ve started to write a certain column about the Winnipeg Jets so many times already this season that I’ve lost count.

Every time the Jets fall behind by three goals, skate in muck in the second period and enter the third chasing the game, I’m tempted to write that they’re a bad hockey team that has a better record than it deserves and is in for a long, frustrating season.

Then, invariably, they do something that makes me think the exact opposite.

You see, for all the atrocious second periods, the average goaltending, the middling defensive play and the impotent power play, these Jets have qualities that make them difficult to beat.

They have character, quick-strike scoring and, most importantly, resilience.

They are the comeback kids of the NHL, having erased third period deficits six times in 12 games. They’ve trailed in every game but two, nine times by at least two goals, and yet they have a 5-6-1 record and are playing a brand of hockey that has Winnipeg hockey fans buzzing almost every night.

This team might not make the playoffs, but don’t dare change the channel, no matter how far behind they fall.

Read the rest here:

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Winnipeg/2016/11/05/22680472.html?cid=rsssportsslam%21+hockey

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I honestly think they may be better than their record.

Injuries and sub par goaltending and special teams have held back this team from the playoffs for more years than not, and I don't see a change this year so far.

I have faith in the goaltending to come around simply due to the fact that Hutch and Helle are not Pavelec, but that's not a given yet. I have faith in the PP to come around due to the fact that Laine is on the team, but if he's not getting PP1 minutes, then NOPE! I have faith that the PK can come around if Maurice can resist the urge to put Stuart on the ice during them, but that's a big if.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad