Salary Cap: Jets approaching cap issues.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
For me, the two big dominos are Trouba and Wheeler. There are so many variables and options that I won’t even try to figure it out until I know more about them.

As much as it pains me to say it, we absolutely cannot afford to keep Wheeler if he expects a big pay raise for long term. If we want a long window of success, Chevy has to consider trading him to move down the age curve. Ideally Wheeler understands the situation and is willing to sign a reasonable contract for a reasonable term. I think it will come down to him having to weigh his desire to see this through and (hopefully) win with his desire to maximize his wealth and get paid like one of the best wingers in the game (which he is now but realistically won’t be for many more years).

Reactions: ps241 and GNP

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hard to say at this point Myers is having a much better season in term of producing offence and PKing than Buff. But there is also a factor of Buff being a face of the franchise. Going forward I also think if Trouba stays then both Morrissey and Trouba are looking to take over more and more of Buff's roles going forward. Buff's PK is way down from previous seasons. He still plays the most ES and PP time but I think in due time the younger guys will be taking that away from him. So it will eventually become a case of paying your 4th or 5th best defencemen the most money on the team simply because he is a face of the franchise.

What's hard to say? I didn't choose one over the other.

I can see Myers going sooner because his contract expires sooner. If it is to be Buff I think it is more likely a year later, that's all.

If Trouba signs longer term I would be ready to move on from Buff but that is the big if. We have to wait and see - there is a lot on hold in the meantime. I still wish Chevy had forced the issue last off-season but that ship has sailed.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What's hard to say? I didn't choose one over the other.

I can see Myers going sooner because his contract expires sooner. If it is to be Buff I think it is more likely a year later, that's all.

If Trouba signs longer term I would be ready to move on from Buff but that is the big if. We have to wait and see - there is a lot on hold in the meantime. I still wish Chevy had forced the issue last off-season but that ship has sailed.

I think he just wanted to give Trouba more time to change his mind. Which seems to be a good tactic so far.
I think it's hard to say which one to choose. But going forward Myers is doing more for the team offensively and on special teams. I could only imagine how many more points he'd have getting those PP1 minutes with Laine.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah I like Niku as well. Skates better then Enstrom but is more of an offensive threat. Could work well with Poolman if he takes another step forward.

Don't know if Chevy is thinking that way or not (Niku that is). It seems to me that he has been way ahead of us a couple of times before. We are all thinking 'maybe' this or that and his behaviour showed that he had already seen what he needed to see and made his decision. Not always of course, but sometimes. Mason signing was an example where he was not certain enough sooner. He needed a veteran until Helle could show himself. Turned out to have been unnecessary but that is hindsight.

Reactions: Daximus

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Don't know if Chevy is thinking that way or not (Niku that is). It seems to me that he has been way ahead of us a couple of times before. We are all thinking 'maybe' this or that and his behaviour showed that he had already seen what he needed to see and made his decision. Not always of course, but sometimes. Mason signing was an example where he was not certain enough sooner. He needed a veteran until Helle could show himself. Turned out to have been unnecessary but that is hindsight.

Yeah I mean he's typically ahead of the curve. Of course that is a lot easier when you are privy to information we will never get our hands on. We don't do to bad around here for being pretty much completely in the dark most of the time. :laugh:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think he just wanted to give Trouba more time to change his mind. Which seems to be a good tactic so far.
I think it's hard to say which one to choose. But going forward Myers is doing more for the team offensively and on special teams. I could only imagine how many more points he'd have getting those PP1 minutes with Laine.

Yeah, I can't fault Chevy's handling of Trouba at this point. I wanted the uncertainty removed but if Chevy still believes there is a better than even chance of keeping Trouba then playing out the game is the way to go. OTOH, if those who think Trouba wants out and will get it are correct then sooner might have been better.

Might have been able to get McAvoy + out of Boston last summer. Just a hypothetical. Wouldn't get him now even if we add. :laugh: All good if he gets Trouba signed for several more years.

I like Myers' recent offense. I don't think he is any better defensively. In fact, in spite of Buff's big event mistakes I think he is still better defensively. Then there is the physical play. Despite his size Myers is no where near the physical presence Buff is. Of course Myers doesn't take the penalties that Buff does either.

Buff is 5 years older and that is Tyler's big advantage. Buff is likely to start showing his age pretty soon.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah, I can't fault Chevy's handling of Trouba at this point. I wanted the uncertainty removed but if Chevy still believes there is a better than even chance of keeping Trouba then playing out the game is the way to go. OTOH, if those who think Trouba wants out and will get it are correct then sooner might have been better.

Might have been able to get McAvoy + out of Boston last summer. Just a hypothetical. Wouldn't get him now even if we add. :laugh: All good if he gets Trouba signed for several more years.

I like Myers' recent offense. I don't think he is any better defensively. In fact, in spite of Buff's big event mistakes I think he is still better defensively. Then there is the physical play. Despite his size Myers is no where near the physical presence Buff is. Of course Myers doesn't take the penalties that Buff does either.

Buff is 5 years older and that is Tyler's big advantage. Buff is likely to start showing his age pretty soon.

I think he's already showing it in some regard. His conditioning is decreasing. He can't be expected to play the same minutes he used to. He gets gassed a lot more now when playing those kinds of minutes and unfortunately sometimes that happens during the worst times in a game.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Havnt read the thread so not sure if it's been mentioned, but I imagine we'll lose someone with a decent size cap hit once Seattle picks from our team.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Havnt read the thread so not sure if it's been mentioned, but I imagine we'll lose someone with a decent size cap hit once Seattle picks from our team.

Yeah I made mention of it earlier. Seattle is going to get some very very good players. If they are announced to begin play for 2020/21 season like many expect they will have decent shot at Lafreniere as well. Could be a pretty stacked team actually.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Some current 14 year old will make the Seattle expansion team dangerous in the future?

I guess so.

Another current 14 year old might make the Jets in 8 years.

:sarcasm:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Yeah I made mention of it earlier. Seattle is going to get some very very good players. If they are announced to begin play for 2020/21 season like many expect they will have decent shot at Lafreniere as well. Could be a pretty stacked team actually.

Just in time for the lockout ;)

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Assuming jets will have a few extra firsts over the next few years if they have to unload a myers and other vets. Heaven forbid wheels has to be traded but could happen.

Jets becoming a player development warehouse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad