Salary Cap: Jets approaching cap issues.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You sure did:

I actually followed the conversation.

And then I crunched the numbers and said we could keep Buff for another year or are we going to keep bringing up more posts from the first 2 pages of the conversation?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I don't think Buff Trouba and Myers will all be on the same D core after the 2018-19 season. I have no idea how it shakes out though.

For that season

Buff is under contract
Trouba is in his last year of team control (probably dealt with in the offseason)
Myers is a UFA

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
For that season

Buff is under contract
Trouba is in his last year of team control (probably dealt with in the offseason)
Myers is a UFA

What Myers wants on his next contract will be another factor. And we will know at that time if he is worth keeping. He seems to have really hit a stride this year. Will likely finish as our top defensive scorer.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
And then I crunched the numbers and said we could keep Buff for another year or are we going to keep bringing up more posts from the first 2 pages of the conversation?

It's really hard to keep up with the conversation if you suggest trading Byfuglien this offseason on the second page and follow up with "I never said immediately" (emphasis mine) on the fourth page. Really hard.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
You sure did:

I actually followed the conversation.

Someone gets it. I still go back to the OP. The salary chart deals with next season. Not sure why we've moved ahead another season

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's really hard to keep up with the conversation if you suggest trading Byfuglien this offseason on the second page and follow up with "I never said immediately" on the fourth page. Really hard.

Now you are just purposely ignoring the rest of the conversation to pick apart a post made on the first two pages. But hey you do you.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Someone gets it. I still go back to the OP. The salary chart deals with next season. Not sure why we've moved ahead another season

Discussions evolve. In fact the 4th post made by the original poster of this thread deals with the 19/20 season. So the conversation had already evolved well before any of this nit picky bull crap started.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
What Myers wants on his next contract will be another factor. And we will know at that time if he is worth keeping. He seems to have really hit a stride this year. Will likely finish as our top defensive scorer.

Perhaps the Jets will trade Myers if Trouba signs long term . Just another very realistic possible outcome that doesn't involve trading Buff

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Perhaps the Jets will trade Myers if Trouba signs long term . Just another very realistic possible outcome that doesn't involve trading Buff

It will all come down to what we prefer at that point likely and what the cap is at and what Myers wants to sign for. If myers continues to play at this level and doesn't want a massive raise I'd elect to keep him over an aging Buff myself. He's scoring more than Buff is this year with less even strength and PP time and is a fixture on our PK.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Discussions evolve. In fact the 4th post made by the original poster of this thread deals with the 19/20 season. So the conversation had already evolved well before any of this nit picky bull crap started.

OK whatever

IMO it's a bit premature to try to claim to know what will happen two years in the future but hey, to each his own

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
It will all come down to what we prefer at that point likely and what the cap is at and what Myers wants to sign for. If myers continues to play at this level and doesn't want a massive raise I'd elect to keep him over an aging Buff myself.

But it is a scenario where Buff does not "have to go"

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
OK whatever

IMO it's a bit premature to try to claim to know what will happen two years in the future but hey, to each his own

We're having fun.

But it is a scenario where Buff does not "have to go"

Oh for sure it is. There are a tonne of scenario's where Buff doesn't have to go. We could trade Connor and Roslovic to keep him. We could move Laine or Little or Ehlers or Scheifele or not resign Wheeler. There are a tonne of possibilities.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I mean, they did lock up their core long term, it's just that their core includes Byfuglien....
Why does your "core" (from your 19-20 chart) need five >55-point wingers on full value contracts?
Why does your "core" need a five-million 29.5-year-old Myers?
Again, we will have to say goodbye to a good player at some point.

But you wrote this:

and "we need to move Buff" is just BS. There are a lot of other options (some of which I listed), and he won't be the only old player on the team. Wheeler, Little, Myers, Perreault, they all could decline, they all could get health problems. Remember the poll back in 2015, who should the team walk away from if they can only keep one between Ladd and Buff? Think it was 70% or 75% percent for keeping Ladd. At the 2016 deadline, most around here were happy to move Ladd who played like a glorified checking line forward after his surgery. Things change.
True there lots of possibilities, but moving Buff either this summer or next makes a lot of sense assuming you can get Trouba under contract. Buff is the highest paid player on the team and production is starting to drop. He has been surpassed by 2 youngsters and that is a lot of money for your 2nd pairing. I would find it hard to believe Chevy wouldn't make every effort not to keep his young drafted core together to help keep open a contending window as long as possible. I see it as very unlikely he starts dealing these young players to squeeze an extra year or 2 out of guys clearly on the down slope of their careers.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wish we could keep all of our players to and in a perfect world we can but this exercise is a reality check for everyone. Keeping Buff likely means we move younger, cost controlled guys to do so. Unless somehow the cap magically increases by $15 mil over the next 2 years. We've seen what happens to teams when you elect for aging 33yo+ vets over young cost controlled assets.

I don't think that is exactly the choice. I think that, at minimum we have to part with 1 of our 3 RHD. I moved out Myers just because he appears the least controversial and the least dependent on what happens with Trouba. It is not either Buff or a younger, cost controlled guy. I guess you could call both Myers and Trouba that :laugh: but I mean guys like Morrissey, Connor or Roslovic.

If Trouba signs long term then I think 1 of the other 2 has to go. If not then it is Wheeler who has to go. Some one will probably argue with that but I don't think anything else makes sense.

I think Chevy might move Myers this off-season. Less likely that he would move Buff that soon.

I don't think Chevy will move Trouba before the process plays out but if Trouba goes through with arb, then I think he should be traded as soon as we can find the right partner.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think that is exactly the choice. I think that, at minimum we have to part with 1 of our 3 RHD. I moved out Myers just because he appears the least controversial and the least dependent on what happens with Trouba. It is not either Buff or a younger, cost controlled guy. I guess you could call both Myers and Trouba that :laugh: but I mean guys like Morrissey, Connor or Roslovic.

If Trouba signs long term then I think 1 of the other 2 has to go. If not then it is Wheeler who has to go. Some one will probably argue with that but I don't think anything else makes sense.

I think Chevy might move Myers this off-season. Less likely that he would move Buff that soon.

I don't think Chevy will move Trouba before the process plays out but if Trouba goes through with arb, then I think he should be traded as soon as we can find the right partner.

Hard to say at this point Myers is having a much better season in term of producing offence and PKing than Buff. But there is also a factor of Buff being a face of the franchise. Going forward I also think if Trouba stays then both Morrissey and Trouba are looking to take over more and more of Buff's roles going forward. Buff's PK is way down from previous seasons. He still plays the most ES and PP time but I think in due time the younger guys will be taking that away from him. So it will eventually become a case of paying your 4th or 5th best defencemen the most money on the team simply because he is a face of the franchise.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If you could sig
Why give up $4.1 M in salary? If you can't play he still want to get paid so the team would put you on LTIR to recoup cap space.
I can think of reasons to possibly give up 4.1 m. For instance they offer him a position with the team being an ambassador or something for 150,000 a year until retirement. You give up money right now, but, you have some stability with the rest of your life. If no one will offer him another contract to play hockey and he has an uncertain future head with no medical coverage or anything. That doesn't mean that any player would ever do something like that but I can see how I would consider that. Especially if you throw in other benefits like a full-scholarship for their children's education as well as a few paid vacations. All of the owners can afford something like that to get around a salary cap issue.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hard to say at this point Myers is having a much better season in term of producing offence and PKing than Buff. But there is also a factor of Buff being a face of the franchise. Going forward I also think if Trouba stays then both Morrissey and Trouba are looking to take over more and more of Buff's roles going forward. Buff's PK is way down from previous seasons. He still plays the most ES and PP time but I think in due time the younger guys will be taking that away from him. So it will eventually become a case of paying your 4th or 5th best defencemen the most money on the team simply because he is a face of the franchise.
I can see lots of other people becoming the face of the Franchise like Lanie, Chef, Hellebuyck.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I can see lots of other people becoming the face of the Franchise like Lanie, Chef, Hellebuyck.

Yeah same here. We have plenty of young draft grown talent that is likely to become fan favourites if they aren't already.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
IMO Mason should be gone this summer to save cap. Buff will be less likely and harder to trade. Mason should be gone, promote Comrie or Hutch as backup.
Comrie would have to show a lot more before you can feel comfortable with him as a back up. I think Mason will get the opportunity yet and we will be very happy we have him to pick up some of the load. I wouldn't be rushing him out the door quite yet.

Reactions: Bristo

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Comrie would have to show a lot more before you can feel comfortable with him as a back up. I think Mason will get the opportunity yet and we will be very happy we have him to pick up some of the load. I wouldn't be rushing him out the door quite yet.

Agreed. At this point I have more faith in Mason than I do in Hutch, even after Monday's game.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If you could sig

I can think of reasons to possibly give up 4.1 m. For instance they offer him a position with the team being an ambassador or something for 150,000 a year until retirement. You give up money right now, but, you have some stability with the rest of your life. If no one will offer him another contract to play hockey and he has an uncertain future head with no medical coverage or anything. That doesn't mean that any player would ever do something like that but I can see how I would consider that. Especially if you throw in other benefits like a full-scholarship for their children's education as well as a few paid vacations. All of the owners can afford something like that to get around a salary cap issue.
But all that isn't necessary. The player gets his money and the team gets cap relief under the current CBA rules. Why go looking for exotic solutions when there isn't a problem for either the player or the team? There are dozens of players out there getting paid and not playing due to long term injuries and none of them are retiring before their contracts expire. You might see the odd situation where a Russian player wants to go back to the KHL, but that doesn't really apply to Mason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->