Confirmed with Link: Jets acquire Joe Morrow from Montreal for 4th round pick (2018)

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
He is a 6/7/8 defenseman that flew in, had one practice with new team and partner and played against one of the best teams in the league. Not a recipe for success, nor a measuring stick for the guy.

Perfectly said. How about a few more games from the guy before the torches and pitchforks come out? If Stastny had sucked last night, the narrative would have been exactly this: "well he just got in, new linemates, new systems, only one practice" etc etc. Very few would have been calling for his head. It could very well be Morrow ends up sucking balls big time, but talk about reactionary!

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Perfectly said. How about a few more games from the guy before the torches and pitchforks come out? If Stastny had sucked last night, the narrative would have been exactly this: "well he just got in, new linemates, new systems, only one practice" etc etc. Very few would have been calling for his head. It could very well be Morrow ends up sucking balls big time, but talk about reactionary!

Why do we always act like these people don’t have histories on other teams?

Stastny would be different because he hasn’t sucked on other teams.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
While watching the Habs game I decided to make my bandwagon avatar about six weeks in advance. If you guys really crap the bed, I guess you could blame me.

I won't use it til the playoffs, but..

FoXB6xc.jpg

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

In retrospect, I have to agree that discounting a players history on other teams was a tad dumb of me.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You ain’t dumb at all. :)

I mean there’s a chance that in time Morrow could become better than what he has been. But I understand nervousness of someone performing poorly who has consistently performed poorly at this level.

I have soft spot for second chances, underdogs and hard luck cases...probably like most Jets fans :laugh:

Fastfrde

Oct 11, 2017
Winterpeg

Why does saying a one game sample size with a new team and new partner isn't a measuring stick mean everyone is ignoring history. He is also a former late first round draft pick with some pedigree, no one said he should be thought of as a 3/4/5 d-man.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
With Chevy admitting that we offered him a contract in the Summer (Morrow chose Montreal because he had played for Julien in Boston), and with Morrow being an RFA I wonder if remaining games this season are an audition for next year? He replaces Enstrom if Toby continues to slide/wants too much money/term? I'd imagine with Morrow making $650,000 this year he wont be expensive to resign even if he plays well here.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
With Chevy admitting that we offered him a contract in the Summer (Morrow chose Montreal because he had played for Julien in Boston), and with Morrow being an RFA I wonder if remaining games this season are an audition for next year? He replaces Enstrom if Toby continues to slide/wants too much money/term? I'd imagine with Morrow making $650,000 this year he wont be expensive to resign even if he plays well here.
Him replacing Toby would be horrible. That's a massive downgrade. Toby has been really good this year, not 5.75 million dollar good but a very strong contributor defensively.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Him replacing Toby would be horrible. That's a massive downgrade. Toby has been really good this year, not 5.75 million dollar good but a very strong contributor defensively.
I'm not arguing that, just spitballing I guess. Depends on what Toby is asking for I suppose. Just found it interesting that Chevy seems to have liked Morrow for awhile (who I admittedly dont know much about). and with raises due for some of our forwards plus Trouba and Morrissey, we are going have an expensive D core and something has to give. I'm hoping Enstrom will sign a 1 or 2 year deal for cheap to bridge until some of prospects are ready.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
To me, Morrow is more of a rental than Stastny. If Morrow performs well for the remainder of this season, he gets an offer. I'd guess that Stastny gets an extension offer no matter what.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Trade Chiarot

Reactions: Sixty Minute Man

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Why does saying a one game sample size with a new team and new partner isn't a measuring stick mean everyone is ignoring history. He is also a former late first round draft pick with some pedigree, no one said he should be thought of as a 3/4/5 d-man.

I’m just pointing out we have more than last game to indicate how good/bad Morrow is. Stastny performing poorly for one game with his history is different than Morrow as Morrow has a lot more poor games on his resume.

RelCorsi
2014-15 -2.9
2015-16 -2.2
2016-17 -2.8
2016-17 playoffs -8.0
2017-18 -3.2

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Fastfrde

Oct 11, 2017
Winterpeg
I’m just pointing out we have more than last game to indicate how good/bad Morrow is. Stastny performing poorly for one game with his history is different than Morrow as Morrow has a lot more poor games on his resume.

RelCorsi
2014-15 -2.9
2015-16 -2.2
2016-17 -2.8
2016-17 playoffs -8.0
2017-18 -3.2
Fair enough, again though, different system, different partners will affect style and quality of play. Could be worse, same or better, a larger sample size is still needed was all I was saying. Agree that history was not great though.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Fair enough, again though, different system, different partners will affect style and quality of play. Could be worse, same or better, a larger sample size is still needed was all I was saying. Agree that history was not great though.

Better usage and system will impact results but it’s not going to make someone not good enough for the NHL spontaneously good enough.

Reactions: JetsUK

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Have never liked Morrow as a player and don't get Chevy's interest in him, especially with Poolman having played well in his games this season. There's depth, and there's deep, deep AHL-tweener depth. I feel like Morrow's the latter.

Fastfrde

Oct 11, 2017
Winterpeg
Better usage and system will impact results but it’s not going to make someone not good enough for the NHL spontaneously good enough.
Haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion myself, statistically speaking you appear be correct, but even statistically is he worse than Chiarot? I can't compare numbers with yours for Morrow (the ones I am looking at don't quite jive) but what I am looking at says no, but not much of an improvement.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

The biggest factors in growing as a player are level of competition & ice time. Morrow has played 104 NHL games in 4 years & has played 3 AHL games since the 2014 season. He's been a healthy scratch for a 2/3'rds of his NHL career. It's pretty hard to improve on the bench.

Paul Postma found himself in the same position. Yes Postma is presently at best a 7/8 defensemen, but had he had the opportunity to play 240 NHL games over the past 3 season he'd almost certainly be a far better player at present.

There's a very small window of opportunity for players & the competition for these opportunities is substantial.

At this point it's doubtful Morrow ever become a fixture on any NHL blue line. There's a lot of factors as to why a player with his pedigree hasn't progressed, but I'd suggest if he wasn't ready for a full time spot on the Bruins blue line back in his 3rd pro season, he should have been left in the AHL until he was either ready or until waiver eligibility forced the Bruins to make him a healthy scratch.

In my opinion calling up any 21-24 year old player from the AHL only to have him watch over half a season from the press box is terrible asset management.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Have never liked Morrow as a player and don't get Chevy's interest in him, especially with Poolman having played well in his games this season. There's depth, and there's deep, deep AHL-tweener depth. I feel like Morrow's the latter.

Never liked Morrow as a player? You must be a hell of a hockey fan to have followed a perennial press box sitter closely enough to make that statement.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
I will give Morrow time before saying yay or nay... just like Tanev...

He deserves it...

How often is Chevy and his team wrong?

I like those odds...

Better than gambling...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I will give Morrow time before saying yay or nay... just like Tanev...

He deserves it...

How often is Chevy and his team wrong?

I like those odds...

Better than gambling...
Well in the last few years Chevy and his team have brought in defensive stalwarts such as Brian Strait and Andrew MacWilliam and moved up to draft Logan Stanley, so.... ;)

Reactions: Board Bard

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
How is that in comparison to other 7 / 8 D?

RelCorsi
2014-15 -2.9
2015-16 -2.2
2016-17 -2.8
2016-17 playoffs -8.0
2017-18 -3.2

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Is it possible that we'd rather form our opinions with our own eyes?

Or possibly, we put more emphases on present, than the past?

Could be that some believe environmental influences that existed with another team, will not be present with the current team?

Or a little of all of the above.

Has a player ever improved due to a change in scenery? Yup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad