Post-Game Talk: Jets 5 Stars 3 Chevy love edition

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
If this form keeps up I'll put in a cheeky Laine for Conn Smythe bet. Kuch/Vasi/Wheeler/Subban are probably the best bets, but Laine absolutely tore it up in 1st Liiga playoffs, so why not take the risk

Imagine if the jets play Dallas in the first round. Laine could have ten goals in that series hah

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I'm in a video mood. Not to pick on Lil Nicky and not to be accused as being biased (because I like him usually), but here is something that won't endear him to Maurice. Had the Stars scored here things may have been a bit more tense, Hutch bailed him out. Watching 3 Stars jerseys in front of him and gliding back into the zone was not a good look for him, regardless of how badly Kuli mangled that play. Hendricks pretty put to lunch as well, both him and Petan left it to the other guy to be F1. Laine is the only one who can be excused.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Great road divisional win , i might be in the minority here but even though Hutch played ok i still have seen enough of him to say he is a fantastic AHL goalie but only a boarder line NHL goalie . I haven't seen nearly enough of Mason yet to say get rid of him . Anyway not trying to be a downer great win , nice to see Enstrom get a goal .

I think if the Jets really think we can win the cup - REALLY (and I think they do), we need to go out and get a goalie. Look at the facts:
  • Both our backups have been concussed this season (Mason twice).
  • Comrie is not ready, he's shown that pretty clearly (that's ok, he's still tracking great)
  • Mason is EXTREMELY up and down, and having a shitty game in the playoffs can spell the end for your chances
  • Hutch has been good, but he's still prone to those bad goals, and you can't really afford that in the playoffs either (it won't be as easy for us to score, even with this lineup).
  • Getting a rental at goal is never really that expensive, even for a quality guy.

I am less worried about getting a forward, we have 3 ridiculous scoring lines right now, AND still have to squeeze Lowry and Tanev back in. I think those 2 are built for playoff hockey.

I would still like to get another defenseman, though I know people aren't crazy about messing with chemistry. I just know how quickly you can tear through D men in the playoffs, and we have a few injury prone guys back there.

What a weekend! 2 4 point games, burying the chances of both teams to catch us. Beauty!

Fishy

May 14, 2016
Winterpeg
I'm in a video mood. Not to pick on Lil Nicky and not to be accused as being biased (because I like him usually), but here is something that won't endear him to Maurice. Had the Stars scored here things may have been a bit more tense, Hutch bailed him out. Watching 3 Stars jerseys in front of him and gliding back into the zone was not a good look for him, regardless of how badly Kuli mangled that play. Hendricks pretty put to lunch as well, both him and Petan left it to the other guy to be F1. Laine is the only one who can be excused.

he enters the play and they get called for too many men...look at the jet jump onto the bench right at the beginning of the gif.

edit: never mind. you are right and i am hung over

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think its more to do with matchup syndrome. Put Little against the matchups they've been seeing and he'd chew them up.

I like things the way they are now but the Jets depth is what is causing the most problems for other teams.
Bingo!

We have 3 lethal scoring lines right now. If you don't check one of the 3 of these with your best guys, they are probably going to light you up.

I'd hate to figure out a 7 game strategy against this team.

With lots of teams, you can isolate 3 or 4 players, and if you can neutralize them you have a real good chance to beat them. Teams will have to attack the Jets at their system (like the Kings did). Problem with that is, we can always counter that in a series, and, in the end, talent usually finds a way.

No one wants to play the Jets in the playoffs.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Buff's play on that first goal is what makes him so special.
He's lucky he didn't get a big mans penalty on the play but man I was whooping and hollering after that.

Buff has been impressing this year.

I still don't understand the thought on here that Hendricks shouldn't be in the lineup and somehow Petan should?

Again, there is no sane way to claim that Petan isn't heads and shoulders better than Hendricks when it comes to skill. However, I do not think Petan executes his game well enough and consistently enough at this level. Furthermore, he isn't good enough defensively to stick around in that role. Finally, he is not going to be able to help the Jets in the size and battle game of the playoffs.

Hendricks to me does the stuff a 4th liner is supposed to do at a competent level. He's not great at it, but better than many many guys before him here. The thing he adds to the team that Petan does not is mental.

I think of Hendricks as a quality engine oil. The mechanical parts of the engine do the work, the gasoline is the catalyst, but without a good engine oil you aren't going to get the performance you want out of the motor and are going to have some problems.

I wish people would realize, even if we get a guy like Pleks, Hendricks is not coming out of the lineup. The coaches know his value (thank God).

Last edited:

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

That was Hutch's best save.

Reactions: Ducky10

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I seriously questioned the decision to put Hutch in, in such an important game. I thought he shouldn't go in until the the game against the Wings. And was even more concerned after that quick first goal. But he seemed pretty relaxed and not phased by it. I thought he responded very well. Probably would like to have that last goal back, but it doesn't change anything.

It's still a small sample size for both Hutch and Mason to make any final decisions yet. But we know that Hutch has distinguished himself on the Moose and played a strong game for us after travelling from the all star game.

Fact is, we're in a good position in goal right now going into the playoffs. We don't have to make any decisions until summer or later. Let's see how this all plays out. I'm rooting for Hutch as a cheaper alternative to Mason, if he can show he's capable. Also would show that the scouts and management's original instincts were correct.

Reactions: GNP

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
He's lucky he didn't get a big mans penalty on the play but man I was whooping and hollering after that.

Buff has been impressing this year.

I still don't understand the thought on here that Hendricks shouldn't be in the lineup and somehow Petan should?

Again, there is no sane way to claim that Petan isn't heads and shoulders better than Hendricks when it comes to skill. However, I do not think Petan executes his game well enough and consistently enough at this level. Furthermore, he isn't good enough defensively to stick around in that role. Finally, he is not going to be able to help the Jets in the size and battle game of the playoffs.

Hendricks to me does the stuff a 4th liner is supposed to do at a competent level. He's not great at it, but better than many many guys before him here. The thing he adds to the team that Petan does not is mental.

I think of Hendricks as a quality engine oil
. The mechanical parts of the engine do the work, the gasoline is the catalyst, but without a good engine oil you aren't going to get the performance you want out of the motor and are going to have some problems.

I wish people would realize, even if we get a guy like Pleks, Hendricks is not coming out of the lineup. The coaches know his value (thank God).
With a high viscosity:sarcasm:

Reactions: Jet

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
No metrics required, only eye test,

hkn_oilers_jets_20170920_59244396-e1508812959205.jpg

Hendy makes the greatest derp faces. He's like a walking meme :laugh:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

That is a complete mess. Petan might actually be most in position. Nice gap Chiarot.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Missed the game, but I read Myer's got injured ?? Does anyone know if it's a serious injury or just a minor one ?? can someone comment on this ???

Blocked a shot. Looked like it hurt. Was back later in the game

Reactions: GNP

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
That is a complete mess. Petan might actually be most in position. Nice gap Chiarot.
He was, but he should have kept his feet moving and not allowed that 2nd chance.

Agree on Chiarot's gap, they are consitently a mess.

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Oilers had some heart n soul when we had him. Now he's gone and the team is gutless again. Signs with the Jets and the team just oozes character (not saying the Jets didn't have character before but that Hendricks brings a lot of jam and passion to the locker room)
Buy the Oilers a jar of Smuckers. If you are blaming their woes entirely or mostly on Hendricks walking, I really don't know what I can tell you.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB

If you think Hendricks should be going below the goal line as a winger in that situation, you're lost.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
I seriously questioned the decision to put Hutch in, in such an important game. I thought he shouldn't go in until the the game against the Wings. And was even more concerned after that quick first goal. But he seemed pretty relaxed and not phased by it. I thought he responded very well. Probably would like to have that last goal back, but it doesn't change anything.

He let in a quick one but kept us in the game, we won and I think the players trusted the goalie to do his job (which is quite important).

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
If you think Hendricks should be going below the goal line as a winger in that situation, you're lost.
Who said anything about a winger? If you think pro teams operate that way, carry on.

Actually looks like Hendricks just jumped off the bench, so he's not in a position to be the first guy back in, winger or not.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
I think of Hendricks as a quality engine oil. The mechanical parts of the engine do the work, the gasoline is the catalyst, but without a good engine oil you aren't going to get the performance you want out of the motor and are going to have some problems.

...I thought Hendricks was a glue guy? Don't glue and oil have the complete opposite effects? I'm so confused. The Hendricks effect is much more complicated than I thought. :)

Reactions: Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->