Salary Cap: Jets 2019: roster and cap situation

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
We lack the cap space to sign him. Plain and simple.
Plain and simply wrong, cap space is a fluid number. A number that the GM can make more in his favour by actually managing his roster.

Jets would need to want to sign him and Stastny would need to want to sign here, not givens. If both sides are desirous of that it is a rather uncomplicated on how to make the salary fit in the cap picture.

Why some ( more and more are realizing how it can be accomplished ) still insist on this point of view is mind numbing. Maneuvering hasn't been banished.

Jets are better suited to fill in with low cost in house replacements at 3RD & 3LW then they are at 2C. Do that and they absolutely do not lack the cap space.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Plain and simply wrong, cap space is a fluid number. A number that the GM can make more in his favour by actually managing his roster.

Jets would need to want to sign him and Stastny would need to want to sign here, not givens. If both sides are desirous of that it is a rather uncomplicated on how to make the salary fit in the cap picture.

Why some ( more and more are realizing how it can be accomplished ) still insist on this point of view is mind numbing. Maneuvering hasn't been banished.

Jets are better suited to fill in with low cost in house replacements at 3RD & 3LW then they are at 2C. Do that and they absolutely do not lack the cap space.
"Let's rob Peter to literally pay Paul!"

Unfortunately, Peter is not the correct name. Would it be Jacob? Maybe Josh? How about Kyle?

Or do we go down the same route as always and name that poor bloke Bryan, who just so happens to have the magical ability to, you know, not be robbed? By all accounts, he would prefer to stay in Winnipeg. How about Tyler? Well, a decent idea in vacuum, but we also have this guy named Patrik, so there's that...

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

It sets a weird precedent if we end up paying our 2c more than our 1c after all if he was worth it he would be a 1c, so under 6 mil sure, over I don't know.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Unfortunately, Peter is not the correct name. Would it be Jacob? Maybe Josh? How about Kyle?

Or do we go down the same route as always and name that poor bloke Bryan, who just so happens to have the magical ability to, you know, not be robbed? By all accounts, he would prefer to stay in Winnipeg. How about Tyler? Well, a decent idea in vacuum, but we also have this guy named Patrik, so there's that...
Or that funny little French man and that funny little swede.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016

Let's do nothing to improve.

Your use of robbing indicates on how you perceive how the Jets should proceed this off season and going forward. Thankfully it is just that, your opinion and by no means is that the correct or only way to move ahead.

It's not robbing, it's replacing a high salary player(s) that aren't as much of a key player(s) at their positions with one(s) that are. Then filling those spots with in team replacements that cost far less and and thus allow you to fill a needed position with a higher salaried addition.

Myers replaced by Poolman, Perreault replaced by Lemieux or Vesalainen or Petan or Appleton. Jets get assets in return they want and salary cap space.

Stastny or similar 2C, replacement W and Poolman over Perreault, Myers and no real 2C.

You may have favourite players you don't want to move which is fine but not pertinent to making the roster the best it can be. Jets have positioned themselves to have flexibility and young talent ready to replace older costly players. Planning like that allows spending dollars on a player, position that makes more of an impact.

Nashville believed they needed to improve at C, went out and got 3 centres, unrealistic to think the Jets will not prioritize the 2C position. I should say again, as they did with trying to get Brassard and actually getting Stastny.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
It sets a weird precedent if we end up paying our 2c more than our 1c after all if he was worth it he would be a 1c, so under 6 mil sure, over I don't know.
You don't need to actually do that though.

Maybe Stastny only will go to the team that is willing to pay the highest dollar, I doubt it, but perhaps. True chance to be a key player on a cup winner in the next few years, pretty decent wingers in Ehlers & Laine, very good organization may factor in some.

Not saying it will happen but to summarily dismiss the possibility because of a narrow minded approach is so short sighted. If people believe Kevin Cheveldayoff is also thinking that way, they are wrong.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You don't need to actually do that though.

Maybe Stastny only will go to the team that is willing to pay the highest dollar, I doubt it, but perhaps. True chance to be a key player on a cup winner in the next few years, pretty decent wingers in Ehlers & Laine, very good organization may factor in some.

Not saying it will happen but to summarily dismiss the possibility because of a narrow minded approach is so short sighted. If people believe Kevin Cheveldayoff is also thinking that way, they are wrong.
You are set on keeping Stas. I personally wouldn't mind if the team rolled the dice on Roslovic and let him take over that position.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We’re paying our 2nd LW more than our 1C... so there’s that.
No we're not. Scheifele currently makes more than any other forward. This was true for last season, this season and likely next season. After that odds are pretty good Laine will be the highest paid forward. Even if for some reason you mean Stastny the Jets are only paying 1/2 his salary as a rental.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
No we're not. Scheifele currently makes more than any other forward. This was true for last season, this season and likely next season. After that odds are pretty good Laine will be the highest paid forward. Even if for some reason you mean Stastny the Jets are only paying 1/2 his salary as a rental.

Iirc Scheifele is earning around 5M and Ehlers signed the 6M contract, doesn’t it kick in next season already?

Point being the 2nd LW is going to earn more money than our 1C... which is a bit weird. So it wouldn’t surprise me if the 2C was also earning more, considering how cheaply Scheifele signed (bless him).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not if he’s traded before it kicks in ;-) But that’d be a real ******* move...
Jets would never do that. Not sure if it is enforceable but they extended the NMC to the remainder of this season after he signed. No chance they go back on that with the culture they are trying to create.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Iirc Scheifele is earning 5M and Ehlers signed the 6M contract, doesn’t it kick in next season already?
Scheifele's salary was $6.75 M this season with a cap hit of $6.125 over 8 seasons, due to some lockout protection down the line.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Jets would never do that. Not sure if it is enforceable but they extended the NMC to the remainder of this season after he signed. No chance they go back on that with the culture they are trying to create.

I know, that’s why I said it’d be an asshole move, I wasn’t being serious because what’s done is done.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Scheifele's salary was $6.75 M this season with a cap hit of $6.125 over 8 seasons, due to some lockout protection down the line.

Ok I stand corrected, I was remembering it being around 5M. Still, it’s too cheap!! (Good).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Iirc Scheifele is earning around 5M and Ehlers signed the 6M contract, doesn’t it kick in next season already?

Point being the 2nd LW is going to earn more money than our 1C... which is a bit weird. So it wouldn’t surprise me if the 2C was also earning more, considering how cheaply Scheifele signed (bless him).
At no point does Ehlers have a higher salary than Sheifele until the 2023-24 season and that is Scheif's UFA season so very likely before the start of camp he is sitting on his big UFA deal.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Let's do nothing to improve.

Your use of robbing indicates on how you perceive how the Jets should proceed this off season and going forward. Thankfully it is just that, your opinion and by no means is that the correct or only way to move ahead.

It's not robbing, it's replacing a high salary player(s) that aren't as much of a key player(s) at their positions with one(s) that are. Then filling those spots with in team replacements that cost far less and and thus allow you to fill a needed position with a higher salaried addition.

Myers replaced by Poolman, Perreault replaced by Lemieux or Vesalainen or Petan or Appleton. Jets get assets in return they want and salary cap space.

Stastny or similar 2C, replacement W and Poolman over Perreault, Myers and no real 2C.

You may have favourite players you don't want to move which is fine but not pertinent to making the roster the best it can be. Jets have positioned themselves to have flexibility and young talent ready to replace older costly players. Planning like that allows spending dollars on a player, position that makes more of an impact.

Nashville believed they needed to improve at C, went out and got 3 centres, unrealistic to think the Jets will not prioritize the 2C position. I should say again, as they did with trying to get Brassard and actually getting Stastny.

There is a cost to be paid for replacing established good players with untested prospects. Prospects might not be ready, there will undoubtedly be growing pains with some. This org has been very cognizant on how they have integrated our youth, they have yet to really rush anyone and I don't see them starting now. Given that we have entered our contention phases I have a hard time seeing us go for a secondary youth movement. The team is more likely to slow the integration of these kids. I see them doing similarly as they did this year. One or two full time starting spot available with having the others play significant call up minutes with the opportunity for a couple to earn full time spots as the year progresses.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
You are set on keeping Stas. I personally wouldn't mind if the team rolled the dice on Roslovic and let him take over that position.
I want a real, strong 2C. Stastny fits that bill but it can be someone else. IMO the Jets are better with a productive C that can do what he does and maximize what a player like that means to Ehlers & Laine.

Maurice has mentioned more than once that he thinks Roslovic is a RW and not a C now or the near future fwiw.

If Roslovic can be that it's just a bonus for the Jets, but I doubt they want to run with him as the only real option other than Little next year.

Reactions: Tommigun

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
There is a cost to be paid for replacing established good players with untested prospects. Prospects might not be ready, there will undoubtedly be growing pains with some. This org has been very cognizant on how they have integrated our youth, they have yet to really rush anyone and I don't see them starting now. Given that we have entered our contention phases I have a hard time seeing us go for a secondary youth movement. The team is more likely to slow the integration of these kids. I see them doing similarly as they did this year. One or two full time starting spot available with having the others play significant call up minutes with the opportunity for a couple to earn full time spots as the year progresses.
Of course there is, but it has to be done at some point. It is why you build depth and have pressure from the bottom up.

No one suggested rushing anyone. Cheveldayoff has said from day one that when a prospect is ready, he will be regardless of age. He's proven true on that statement.

You add a veteran at 2C so it isn't only or limited to a secondary youth movement, it's balanced. You said one or two starting spots available, that is my example isn't it?

Fans need to stop seeing or thinking of this as a secondary youth movement, or clearing cap room and not using it wisely. Essentially this is a trade on several levels, one that can make the total of the team better. Give you a better chance to win, that's why you do it.

Winnipeg without Stastny right now would be significantly less of a challenge to other teams in a playoff series. Easier to add a 3RHD and 3LW than a really good 2C, plus we have ready replacements for the former positions listed.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Of course there is, but it has to be done at some point. It is why you build depth and have pressure from the bottom up.

No one suggested rushing anyone. Cheveldayoff has said from day one that when a prospect is ready, he will be regardless of age. He's proven true on that statement.

You add a veteran at 2C so it isn't only or limited to a secondary youth movement, it's balanced. You said one or two starting spots available, that is my example isn't it?

Fans need to stop seeing or thinking of this as a secondary youth movement, or clearing cap room and not using it wisely. Essentially this is a trade on several levels, one that can make the total of the team better. Give you a better chance to win, that's why you do it.

Winnipeg without Stastny right now would be significantly less of a challenge to other teams in a playoff series. Easier to add a 3RHD and 3LW than a really good 2C, plus we have ready replacements for the former positions listed.
I agree we can move Myers and Perrault to keep Stas next season. Put poolman and Roslo in. But what if we were already going to move Perrault. Are you willing to move Trouba, Connor, wheeler? At this point maybe move wheeler put Lanie in his spot and forget the intangibles. Then your weak on that side but whatever we have not seen Stas make 3rd liners look great. You go all offense move Trouba weird choice but okay. Or Connor? Do we bridge Connor when he looks so dominant so we can compete for one or two seasons and see him go if he elevates from the level of dominance he is currently having? Moving Armia Tanev and Copp does not equal the money Stas will cost unless you also throw in Lowry's money even tho Lowry has been a complete beast.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I would rather our kids start forcing our vets out at this point unless we have severe cap constraints.

I am fine with Poolman over Myers, he's not a raw rookie and his more balanced all around game will fit better on the bottom pairing. He should cone in good and ready next season after getting his feet wet this season.

Roslovic has imo pushed Armia out of the top 9 and has made him expendable if he asks for too much.

We don't have a left wing prospect who is ready to push Perrault out imo. We would be significantly down grading that position to move him while inserting a Lemieux or Appelton imo. Ves imo will be given the Niku treatment next season to acclimatize.

Niku likely replaces Toby on the roster and plays with Poolman on the bottom pairing to start.

That is still a lot of youth. I like Statsney but I don't see the need to keep him and overload our cap space down the middle.

Him Chef and Little would be about 18 million. Add 3 million to Lowry and that is 21 million. There isn't enough ice time to go around long term to justify those salaries. I think the org is just fine with Lowry and Copp taking the bottom two assignments.

Reactions: Tommigun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad