Jesse Puljujarvi Points in D+2 Year.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
15-17 goals and 15ish assists would be my guess.

If pulju can put away 15 goals this year I'd be ****ing thrilled. Anything more then that is gravy.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Depends on who he plays with, but I'd say at the very least, 40 points
Maroon-McDavid-Puljujarvi
or
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi(RNH on 97's RW)
or
Lucic-RNH-Puljujarvi
or
Jokinen-Strome-Puljujarvi

McLellan will throw the top 9 in a blender this season. Probably see 97-29-93 down the middle with Strome and Puljujarvi on RW

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There isn't a poll answer for <30 to >60 cause it can be any of those depending on
1) Does he makes the opening day roster which is not a given it depends if the oilers think he is ready to be a top 6 NHL player and if not is it better for his development to play a bottom 6 role in the NHL or a top line role in the AHL
2) Does Draisatl get transitioned to center which opens up a RW slot in the top 6
3) Which line he plays RW on (1st with McDavid centering its 60 pts plus, 2nd with Draisatl centering its probably 50 points plus, 2nd or 3rd with RNH centering its 40 pts plus if its 2nd line and 30 pts plus if its 3rd line, 3rd or 4th with Letesku centering its probably >30 pts

It will depend on Jesse and how he looks at camp I would guess. For me its just too hard to ignore this guys size, skating, and skill set, to see anything less than an impact player in the NHL once he is given the chance.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Joel Armia is the same size, had the same PPG in Liiga during his draft year, and while JP is the better skater, Armia has more skill with the puck in my opinion.

At the age of 24 Armia is nothing more than bottom 6 winger and if he didn't improve so much defensively the last few years, he wouldn't play in the NHL at all. And he's not a bad skater by any means.

Armia didn't have the chance to play on the same line with one of the best Finnish talents all-time in Laine and Aho in the U20's, and his team in Finland was actually not as good as Pulju's team.

I think both players are similar in a sense. On paper you got a ton of tools, and they look dominant at times against junior competition. However they both lack killers instinct in scoring chances, and seem to completely thrive on confidence resulting in inconsistency.

Pulju has an advantage though, and that is his skating. If he can work on it and be as fast against NHL players as he was against juniors, then there's a chance he can be a top 6 player.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Joel Armia is the same size, had the same PPG in Liiga during his draft year, and while JP is the better skater, Armia has more skill with the puck in my opinion.

At the age of 24 Armia is nothing more than bottom 6 winger and if he didn't improve so much defensively the last few years, he wouldn't play in the NHL at all. And he's not a bad skater by any means.

Armia didn't have the chance to play on the same line with one of the best Finnish talents all-time in Laine and Aho in the U20's, and his team in Finland was actually not as good as Pulju's team.

I think both players are similar in a sense. On paper you got a ton of tools, and they look dominant at times against junior competition. However they both lack killers instinct in scoring chances, and seem to completely thrive on confidence resulting in inconsistency.

Pulju has an advantage though, and that is his skating. If he can work on it and be as fast against NHL players as he was against juniors, then there's a chance he can be a top 6 player.

Puljujarvi had a career AHL season at 18 then Armia did at 20...

Puljujarvi was a WJHC MVP at 18
EDIT: he also had a better PPG in the NHL at 18 than Armia did at 22

Puljujarvi has a better resume

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Puljujarvi had a career AHL season at 18 then Armia did at 20...

Puljujarvi was a WJHC MVP at 18
EDIT: he also had a better PPG in the NHL at 18 than Armia did at 22

Puljujarvi has a better resume

How is any of this relevant to my post? I said there's a lot of similarities between the two at the same age. Actually having watched both quite a lot during their draft years.

How Pulju develops nobody knows, Armia did not take huge strides at any point so hopefully Pulju does better.

I was more so referring to a poster above that even though you might have all kinds of tools on paper, that doesn't mean it translates to success in the NHL. I think it's more about work ethic and you manage to improve moving forward. Pulju didn't a whole lot last year vs the last half of his draft year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would be curious what some of the Finnish fans here think on Puljujarvi? Opinions may be not as high as they are for Laine, and Aho has received a lot of good fanfare here. But strangely Puljujarvi almost seems the as the forgotten Finn of the 3.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I would be curious what some of the Finnish fans here think on Puljujarvi? Opinions may be not as high as they are for Laine, and Aho has received a lot of good fanfare here. But strangely Puljujarvi almost seems the as the forgotten Finn of the 3.

I don't think he's forgotten, but of course there's always some of that what have you done for me lately mentality going on.

But i think because we have such promising young guys who already established themselves in the NHL last season, those guys get the attention and it's easier for people to be pessimistic about Pulju until he raises eyebrows at the NHL level.

And perhaps some people went back to their caves after being sure about Pulju playing in the NHL when he was drafted and calling him a sure thing star, we had long debates about this over in the prospects forum at the time and there were a ton of people saying he's better than Laine, well those people haven't been seen around in a while.

I think all Finns recognize he's a great prospect and there's a ton of time for him to develop, but a lot of people have also realized he's more of a project than Laine and Aho and are prepared to be patient.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Have a feeling he plays with McDavid starting around game 20 and finish's with 70~ points.

His Speed, Size and Shot are built to be a winger for McDavid. I guess it is just a matter of time.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If he makes the team he's playing on the 2nd or 3rd line, but Caggulia is clearly much more effective than he is at this point and I see Hopkins and Caggulia as our #1 and #2 RW at this point.

Playing on the 3rd line with Strome and Slepyshev isn't horrible but they will probably play less minutes. 40 points is a bit lofty.

Also, don't see him getting much time on the PP.

Still have fingers crossed that we start him in the AHL and sign Jagr to a 1 year 4.5M deal.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
30-40 seems reasonable. I'm all for taking it slow with this kid, he has such a unique skill set that could be so valuable for us. Take it slow and play him in situations where he has the opportunity to succeed, whether that's with the Oilers or down in the A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad