Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
It's nice he's finally getting at least some PP time. Even though he's been great in front of the goal lately I really hope they understand to place him in his correct spot, moving mainly between the blue line and half wall if I got the term right? I also hope they've watched some videos and can feed Jesse when he sneaks to get ready for a shot. At it's best the combination of a great pass and the wicked one-timer is just beautiful to watch, but very frustrating if they don't get the puck to him when he's free to shoot.

Reactions: McBeastMode

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
He could be a Rick Nash-lite player...consistently 30G/65 point season. More importantly a guy that can keep up with McDavid.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Last year some were writing Pulju off because his points, though being pretty good for the ice time, consisted almost merely of assists. He's always been a good scorer so it's nice he's getting it going in the NHL too.

Despite having practically no PP time his goals/60 is about the same as Laine's and Neal's and ahead of Matthews, Scheiffele, Hall, Kane, Nash, Barkov, Rantanen and Toews. E.g. Dubois, Pacioretty, Aho and Tkatchuk have scored less than half compared to Jesse.

At ESG/60 he is now the 8th in the NHL of the players who have played at least 10 games.

It's still fairly early, but not a bad start at all.

Reactions: snipes and Kolja

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Hmm, this is more promising! Seems like the plan is to give him more PP time over time.

Interesting that he cites English ability as a key requirement for more ice time. Communicating on ice is a side of the language barrier I hadn't considered.

I’m not a big fan of TM, but I think he’s done the right thing in this case. JP needs to learn proper English. He should spend all time not training/playing games with an English tutor. He should not be playing on the PP if he doesn’t understand what his teammates are saying. I hope this encourages JP to work on his English, cause he will contribute on the PP once he gets the opportunity.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I hope Pulju doesn't sign long term deal. It's nice to play with McDavid, but if he gets no PP time next 8 years and play 9 to 14 minutes a night, it will be a long deal.

Is this even a serious post? He's 19 years old FFS, his playing time won't be the same as it is when he's even 21.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
He should not be playing on the PP if he doesn’t understand what his teammates are saying. I hope this encourages JP to work on his English, cause he will contribute on the PP once he gets the opportunity.

AFIK he's understood English well enough for quite a while. The problem has been his ability to talk.

At the start of last season he got PP time in a few games and hit the posts/crossbar four times. It really wasn't far from a great start and possibly a very different kind of a season. At that time his English didn't seem to affect it too much so that shouldn't be the case at this point. Otherwise I understand English is one aspect in the process and it probably means much more to TM than to some other coaches. It's easy to see Jesse is more confident now and that was likely another thing that TM wanted to see.

I do believe firmly the Oilers have lost several points because they've delayed using Jesse this long. However, it's great he finally seems to be getting a chance.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Still one more thing about Jesse. Last year his +- was the best of the team when he was still getting constant ice time (+5 at the end of his season) and at the moment it's the best of the team (along with Nurse and Auvitu) even though he's played just half of the games.

I know there are a lot of factors in this stat (like every other one, too), but it goes along with Jesse being a solid 2-way winger. I think this is one reason why he's helping the others in the 1st line (and of course getting a lot of help himself, too).

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
would you guys trade him for Pacioretty?

I wouldnt personally. Not saying the trade value is off or anything, but I would like to see more from JP. He has looked really good lately. He is a pretty polarizing player to watch, the size, speed, reach, shot - theres too much to like to give up on him imo.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
A month ago, probably. Unfortunately he's been too good since.

I wouldnt personally. Not saying the trade value is off or anything, but I would like to see more from JP. He has looked really good lately. He is a pretty polarizing player to watch, the size, speed, reach, shot - theres too much to like to give up on him imo.

I'm going off little more than his pre-draft highlight video hahaha but I wanted to draft him somehow. I thought he'd be better than Laine but that's likely not happening. He just seemed like a beast. Big and fast with some nice skill. As much as we need a C, I still think he'd be a great piece to have. We need a forward like him.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
hehe, I had to chuckle at McLellan's reason for Pulju not being used before as how he needs to be able to communicate on the rushes. Our brilliant rushes that has a guy like Letestu rushing the puck from our blue line and throwing the puck away as he gets into the zone as he's swarmed. Takes perfect english to pull off crap like that I guess.

And he was sure to mention how Pulju "earned" the opportunity (for the Oilers to properly use his skill set while we are desperate for wins).

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
His GF/GA relative numbers so far in the NHL are pretty damned sparkling... which to me is the #1 attribute of a hockey player... to play well at both ends of the ice and to be a positive factor when you are on the ice, offensively AND defensively.

I'm more impressed with his ability to NOT be a negative out there at such a young age which is an excellent sign for a player with a little over 40 NHL games under his belt. His offense has been ok... but it's his all around game that looks very good and encouraging to me.

Reactions: Kolja

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
His GF/GA relative numbers so far in the NHL are pretty damned sparkling... which to me is the #1 attribute of a hockey player... to play well at both ends of the ice and to be a positive factor when you are on the ice, offensively AND defensively.

I'm more impressed with his ability to NOT be a negative out there at such a young age which is an excellent sign for a player with a little over 40 NHL games under his belt. His offense has been ok... but it's his all around game that looks very good and encouraging to me.
His possession and +/- metrics have been great including last year. His defensive play is very good for a player his age, and its why I think he's going to become an elite winger. I personally think he has the potential to become a near PPG winger someday soon, but even if he doesn't I expect he'll be a 30-30 winger with a great defensive game at minimum. I was beyond ecstatic when he fell to us at the draft, and his struggles last year and early this year never made me question my expectations of him. I knew it might take him some time, and tbh, he's already exceeding the timeline I had set for him coming into this year.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

You're describing his best quality. In my opinion at least.

I've got it in a few words, he's a "puck hound". He just hounds the puck every shift. Him and McDavid must be a nightmare on the forecheck. They both chase the puck so fast that Dmen have no time to think. It opens up hits for Lucic too.

I really think Pulju's speed and effort every shift to create turnovers helps McDavid immensely in a way that no other winger can.

Hard to believe that's these two are 19 & 20 respectively. Look out NHL.

Reactions: McFlyingV

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You're describing his best quality. In my opinion at least.

I've got it in a few words, he's a "puck hound". He just hounds the puck every shift. Him and McDavid must be a nightmare on the forecheck. They both chase the puck so fast that Dmen have no time to think. It opens up hits for Lucic too.

I really think Pulju's speed and effort every shift to create turnovers helps McDavid immensely in a way that no other winger can.

Hard to believe that's these two are 19 & 20 respectively. Look out NHL.
Despite the poor start to this year I have to just laugh thinking about this teams young core up front. McDavid, Drai and JP are all going to be major studs on this team for many years, RNH is showing he's another very good player who still likely has a few more years to continue to grow his game, and I still have high hopes for Yamamoto and Benson as supporting cast. If the latter 2 pan out into top 6 or even middle 6 scoring wingers we will be absolutely laughing over the next decade.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Edmonton- Minnesota game was our Viaplays weekend game and the studio were talking of how Puljus skating/effort help McDavid to save energy, Pulju really plays W like a C and he's willing to play all over the ice.

I just thought of a time where Todd or whoever puts those 2 on a 3-3 together.

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->