Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Pulju will not be top 6 ready next year but will probably end up being force fed the minutes. Should be in the ahl/third line.

Honest question. When was the last time we developed a top 6 player. A guy who wasn't just one from the minute they stepped on the ice at the NHL level?

Reactions: PositiveCashFlow

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Pulju will not be top 6 ready next year but will probably end up being force fed the minutes. Should be in the ahl/third line.

Honest question. When was the last time we developed a top 6 player. A guy who wasn't just one from the minute they stepped on the ice at the NHL level?
I'm thinking Shawn Horcoff. A semi-weak case could be made for Patrick Maroon.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm thinking Shawn Horcoff. A semi-weak case could be made for Patrick Maroon.
Maroon just clicked with McDavid.

I think you are right though. Shawn Horcoff...which was....15 years ago

Actually drafted 98, became a legit top 6 guy for the 2005-2006 season. So pretty much we haven't since before the decade of darkness.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Kid hasn't even played 100 games yet... and yes he's a kid because until a few days ago he was still 19.

Cut him some slack. He's no generational McDavid type talent so he's not going to light up the league as soon as he steps in. It can and often does take years for players (especially those from another country that don't even speak the language well) to turn into solid NHL players.

I wasn't huge on the pick when they made it because I had JP ranked lower in that draft but that doesn't mean he's dogshit. He's a 1st round pick that will take some time to develop and although development hasn't been a strong suit of the Oilers... that doesn't mean JP is doomed either.

I do agree this upcoming season will be important (but not do or die for him either)... he'll pass the 160 game mark later next season which should give us a better idea of where he is trending but even then he'll only be ~20.5 years old mid next season... still far too young to write him off as a has-been or never-was.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Maroon just clicked with McDavid.

I think you are right though. Shawn Horcoff...which was....15 years ago

Actually drafted 98, became a legit top 6 guy for the 2005-2006 season. So pretty much we haven't since before the decade of darkness.

Horcoff went to college IIRC so not developed by the Oilers. My guess is theres a case for Khaira but we'll see how he plays out.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I was reading the main boards and it was As GM what did you learn from vegas this year. A big point was not to judge a player or prospect too soon, label them a tweener etc.

People also discussed coaching and how Galiant doesn't bench or limit ice time because of a mistake. Doesn't want players playing afraid to make a mistake but playing to win and with confidence.

I couldn't help but think of Puljarvi. I have the fear he is gonna get dumped and we still don't even know what we have as a player. I can just see him getting traded and immediately clicking in a top 6 role with another team and its another asset sold low.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I can just see him getting traded and immediately clicking in a top 6 role with another team and its another asset sold low.
On the flip side, it is very easy to see him hanging around on the Oilers for 3 more years, not improving in any way and being sold for an ECHLer and a pick.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think one of the big things for Jesse will be to put on a bit of weight this summer. It would go a long what to helping his balance and fighting through checks.

While I don't question his strengh/gym workout, for someone who's 6'4, 210 strikes me as too light, especially when they don't have great coordination at that size (Malkin or Laine for example). While I'm not expecting Draisaitl, he'd be better off getting to a build like Slepyshev's, who's over 220.

In other words...

XpscaFU.gif

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I was reading the main boards and it was As GM what did you learn from vegas this year. A big point was not to judge a player or prospect too soon, label them a tweener etc.

People also discussed coaching and how Galiant doesn't bench or limit ice time because of a mistake. Doesn't want players playing afraid to make a mistake but playing to win and with confidence.

I couldn't help but think of Puljarvi. I have the fear he is gonna get dumped and we still don't even know what we have as a player. I can just see him getting traded and immediately clicking in a top 6 role with another team and its another asset sold low.
Que up Todd Nelson!

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018

One can only hope that McLellan is willing to learn and adapt. To me what Jesse was lacking was his confidence. And McLellan was not helping... Gallant is sure doing an excellent job there!

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
28 points in half a season as an 18 year old in the AHL is not ready? Crediblity lost.

I think given the hype surrounding him pre-draft, you'd think he be tearing it up like Hall and Eberle at a ppg pace

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
One can only hope that McLellan is willing to learn and adapt. To me what Jesse was lacking was his confidence. And McLellan was not helping... Galiant is sure doing an excellent job there!

TMac doesn't know how to use him and JP hasn't show enough to justify. It is what it is .
At this point, can only hope that JP breaks out on his own, coaching be damned.

Reactions: Ippenator

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think given the hype surrounding him pre-draft, you'd think he be tearing it up like Hall and Eberle at a ppg pace

Hall was 21/22 when he was tearing up the AHL. Eberle was 23. Puljujarvi was 18. Huge difference in physical maturity at those ages. Nevermind the fact that Eberle had 147 NHL games under his belt before playing in OKC and Hall had 127 NHL games.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Hall was 21/22 when he was tearing up the AHL. Eberle was 23. Puljujarvi was 18. Huge difference in physical maturity at those ages. Nevermind the fact that Eberle had 147 NHL games under his belt before playing in OKC and Hall had 127 NHL games.
Eberle also did it (PPG) when he was 18 for Springfield.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Over a nine game stretch.
It doesn't change the fact, the next year (19) it was 14P in 11 games, there is a pattern. We can all hope Puljujarvi comes around and scoring points in AHL doesn't mean all that much, but if you are comparing at ages as you did in that post...fair is fair.

Reactions: frag2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->