Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don't think the issue is with Pulju's training, rather for the type of game he wants to play at the NHL he's still to weak as a 19 YO.

Drai had the same problem in his rookie year but fixed that going into his second. Though he had the advantage that he's built like a tank vs. Jessie, who just tall, and thus can be easily beaten through leverage.

His balence and lower core need to improve, but that'll come as he physically matures.

Reactions: PulYou

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I don't think the issue is with Pulju's training, rather for the type of game he wants to play at the NHL he's still to weak as a 19 YO.

Drai had the same problem in his rookie year but fixed that going into his second. Though he had the advantage that he's built like a tank vs. Jessie, who just tall, and thus can be easily beaten through leverage.

His balence and lower core need to improve, but that'll come as he physically matures.

My one and probably only message to this thread during this month:

I agree with you. To me it seems TM didn't allow Jesse to play with his strengths, but instead wanted to transfer him into a player that he'd like to see Jesse as. If things go well this can bring a great combination in the future, but I believe it's also made Jesse somewhat confused.

If Jesse could've kept the energy level, confidence, and the joy of playing that he had at the start of his season it could've been a whole different kind of a year for him. Another try next year.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
My one and probably only message to this thread during this month:

I agree with you. To me it seems TM didn't allow Jesse to play with his strengths, but instead wanted to transfer him into a player that he'd like to see Jesse as. If things go well this can bring a great combination in the future, but I believe it's also made Jesse somewhat confused.

If Jesse could've kept the energy level, confidence, and the joy of playing that he had at the start of his season it could've been a whole different kind of a year for him. Another try next year.

Yeah his usage made little sense this past year (but that was the story for the rest of this team too).

Though he's big enough, using Jesse on a like that needs to cycle is a mistake as he just doesn't have the strength/balence to excel.

To me, he should have been stapled to Cammy and Strome on a 3rd line that looked to play a skating and skill game.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
19 year old Jesse was used @even
We received Top prospect even goal production.
19 yr season evgpg
Barkov .183
Horvat .176
Mackinnon .172
Dubois .170
Perron .161
Duchene .160
Tavares .159
Puljujarvi 65gm 10 evg 1.54 evgpg
Galchenyuk .154
Ehlers .153
Couturier .143
Seguin .135
O,Reilly .135
M. Tkachuk .132
Voracek .113
N. Patrick .110
J. stall .110
Folks need to readjust the incorrect idea of what elite 19 yr old production is. Puljujarvi was real good considering line mates and his superior 200 ft game to players on this list.

He is 6’4” so lean mass development ends a yr later than standard prospects.
He has 1 more season before we see true core strength development.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think the problem is coaching doesn't know how to use him at all. They likely dont know what kind of player they really have in JP and JP himself hasn't really shown 'much'.

He's versatile but not adept any really anything at the moment. Once again, going back to the "rawness" in his game
Coaching staff doesn't seem to know how to use him which is their fault. Although I wonder if part of it is his. Maybe in practice he isn't really showing any particular strengths so they don't know where to put him for it.

I 100% believe that the staff is using him wrong but I do believe that Pulju needs to start doing things to force the issue.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
19 year old Jesse was used @even
We received Top prospect even goal production.
19 yr season evgpg
Barkov .183
Horvat .176
Mackinnon .172
Dubois .170
Perron .161
Duchene .160
Tavares .159
Puljujarvi 65gm 10 evg 1.54 evgpg
Galchenyuk .154
Ehlers .153
Couturier .143
Seguin .135
O,Reilly .135
M. Tkachuk .132
Voracek .113
N. Patrick .110
J. stall .110
Folks need to readjust the incorrect idea of what elite 19 yr old production is. Puljujarvi was real good considering line mates and his superior 200 ft game to players on this list.

He is 6’4” so lean mass development ends a yr later than standard prospects.
He has 1 more season before we see true core strength development.
He's had better numbers than some really good players. It shows what I and some others have been saying, that he needs time.

He's a kid and needs time.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
According to Scott Cullen of TSN he will be with Carolina to start the season.

In a package for Faulk?

McLellan will despise Faulk I bet. Guy puts zero effort in his own end. At least that's my impression from limited viewing :)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
In a package for Faulk?

McLellan will despise Faulk I bet. Guy puts zero effort in his own end. At least that's my impression from limited viewing :)

He hasn’t posted the Oilers projected lineup yet but Lowetide today speculates that Faulk will appear in Cullens Oilers lineup. Carolina’s lineup also without Skinner. Perhaps a Skinner / Faulk combo for PJ and pick(s)?

I haven’t watched Faulk enough to make a rational judgement on him but analysts have said he had a bad year and was dropped to the #2 PP unit ahead of some of the young talent on D the Canes have.

Makes sense for the Canes to move him, they have Bean coming on and need to give Hanifin and TvR new deals. Faulk could be had for a good price perhaps but I am not sure the Oilers should trade PJ.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018

McLellan as Edmonton's coach this could be for Jesse's benefit...

At the same time I think McLellan as a coach for Oilers has been quite Expensive for the Edmontonians. It seems like McLellan did not like Hall, Eberle, Pouliot or Hendricks in his roster. It does seem like he does not like Pulju in his roster either...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

How reliable is Cullen? I gotta say it kind of hurts to see him traded away so soon as I really like the kid and think that he'll be a damn good hockey player at some point. I wonder if we are adding and Skinner is coming our way as well?

Faulk + Skinner + 2OA for
Draisaitl + Puljujarvi

Would you guys do it?

Svechnikov-McDavid-Rattie
Skinner-RNH-Yamamoto
Lucic-Strome-Caggiula
?-Khaira-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Faulk
Nurse-Benning/Russell

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
McLellan as Edmonton's coach this could be for Jesse's benefit...

At the same time I think McLellan as a coach for Oilers has been quite Expensive for the Edmontonians. It seems like McLellan did not like Hall, Eberle, Pouliot or Hendricks in his roster. It does seem like he does not like Pulju in his roster either...

This point needs to be emphasized.

Hall, Eberle, RNH (prior to this season) and Schultz all had their worst seasons under his coaching. I was hoping for a new HC so that we could get more out of our players, especially Jesse. But IMO one of Chia's gravest mistakes is keeping McLellan.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
How reliable is Cullen? I gotta say it kind of hurts to see him traded away so soon as I really like the kid and think that he'll be a damn good hockey player at some point. I wonder if we are adding and Skinner is coming our way as well?

Draisaitl + Puljujarvi

Would you guys do it?

Skinner-RNH-Yamamoto
Lucic-Strome-Caggiula
?-Khaira-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Faulk
Nurse-Benning/Russell

NO. Jesus christ no. You do not trade away our one prospect we've developed beyond expectations into a young bonafide NHL star for question marks and another shiny prospect. That's a hell of a haul but consider this not that unlikely scenario:

Faulk doesn't rebound with us and instead slowly declines into a better skating MA Bergeron/Justin Schultz with us.
Skinner gets another concussion and plays 30-50 games a season for the next 3 seasons before he peters out of the league.
We draft Svechnikov and then fail to develop him at all, because he's Russian and we're the Oilers.

That's not that unreasonable an outcome IMO. And that's why you can't trade a known-entity like Draisaitl for it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
NO. Jesus christ no. You do not trade away our one prospect we've developed beyond expectations into a young bonafide NHL star for question marks and another shiny prospect. That's a hell of a haul but consider this not that unlikely scenario:

Faulk doesn't rebound with us and instead slowly declines into a better skating MA Bergeron/Justin Schultz with us.
Skinner gets another concussion and plays 30-50 games a season for the next 3 seasons before he peters out of the league.
We draft Svechnikov and then fail to develop him at all, because he's Russian and we're the Oilers.

That's not that unreasonable an outcome IMO. And that's why you can't trade a known-entity like Draisaitl for it.

I thought that it was a steep price as well. Just wondering what else would be able to net us Skinner and clearly Skinner alone wouldn't be anywhere near enough to bring in Drai.

Changing gears:

To Edmonton: Faulk, Staal, 2nd overall
To Carolina: Draisaitl and Puljujarvi

We get the offensive threat on D, a very good 2/3 center that plays a very good 2 way game and a sniper for Connor.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Draisaitl + Puljujarvi

Would you guys do it?

Skinner-RNH-Yamamoto
Lucic-Strome-Caggiula
?-Khaira-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Faulk
Nurse-Benning/Russell

Absolutely not. Skinner and Faulk doesn't move the needle much and to make it worse they have 1 and 2 years left on their deals respectively. You don't give up 7 years of Draisaitl for that package.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I thought that it was a steep price as well. Just wondering what else would be able to net us Skinner and clearly Skinner alone wouldn't be anywhere near enough to bring in Drai.

Changing gears:

We get the offensive threat on D, a very good 2/3 center that plays a very good 2 way game and a sniper for Connor.

I like it more since we get a second solid NHLer in Staal, but I dunno. I don't think I can stomach giving up Drai unless its in a package for a huge star - e.g. as part of a Karlsson deal (and yeah, even then, there's arguments not to do it).

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Draisaitl + Puljujarvi

Would you guys do it?

Skinner-RNH-Yamamoto
Lucic-Strome-Caggiula
?-Khaira-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Faulk
Nurse-Benning/Russell

I don’t think he’s an insider per se but more doing a logical breakdown of what each team could look like if they address their core needs this off season.

Not for me, a little too risky but I’m thinking this, and it works with an $82M cap which is the high end of where it is projected to be;

Skinner (50% retained), Faulk and their 4th or 5th.
Kassian, JP and our 3rd.

Carolina loses money hand over fist and has a lot of pending RFA’s this year and next, Dundon the new owner sounds frugal as hell, wants to ditch the “losing” Cane players which sure sounds like Faulk and Skinner, manage to cut salary for this year and Kassian makes them tougher which is a stated need by the new owner, along with a blue chip prospect in JP and a higher pick in this year’s draft. Skinner is up end of next year, Faulk the year after so they are good as gone.

Oilers get a proven scoring skating winger and a D which can provide offensive both on short term deals that can be re-upped for not much more than they make now down the road and can afford with the rising cap and once we can ditch the Sekera and Russel deals in a year or two with Bear coming in.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Still think he becomes our Marian Hossa actually, but this year he really needs to take a step forward.

We will know more by the end f the year if Jesse has it in him.

That's the comparable I've been saying all the time. He has the tools to become Hossa-lite but not sure if he'll ever get there

Reactions: PulYou

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Changing gears:

Not a chance, you usually lose the trade when you're trading the best player in the deal, only way drai goes is for a #1 D.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Cullen isn't putting rumours out there. He is just hypothesizing trades that make sense in his head.

He also has Robbi Fabri and Connor Sheary on the Sabres for next season.

He's a glorified HFboards trade proposal poster.

Good to see the by the numbers "statistically speaking" guy turning into a "just making crap up" guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->