Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Puljujarvi will be fine... just a slower riser than many young prospects.

I would have taken McAvoy in that draft but Puljujarvi is a decent prospect with upside.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
Prepare to wait that at least 2 more years perhaps even more if something goes wrong in AHL.
Right now looks obvious Puljujarvi is long term project pick with that ''bandy'' skating

Jesse looked really good in 2016 world juniors only for that he played with Laine and Aho.
Which made him better also big European ice surface was huge factor.

If 2016 world juniors would have played in North American ice
Jesse's draft number would have been something else than 4 ( somewhere in top 30 like Tolvanen this year)

Sorry to say this.
But Jesse Puljujarvi didn't get nothing refinement to NHL requirements during his years in SM liiga.

Lauri Marjamaki's passive and slow trap game when he coached Jesse in SM liiga
is seriously hindered Jesse's transition to North American ice surface.

And yes to me Jesse is player who would benefited to playing in CHL instead of passive and slow SM liiga. Which hasn't been real NHL refinery for years without the exception of certain exceptions ( Barkov, Laine and Aho). Other brutal fact is Marjamaki was that coach who questioned Jesse's received coaching in AHL last season before hockey world championships in Paris.

This is pretty obvious, other Finnish players have chosen the longer route of NA college/junior leagues and imo are better suited for the NHL straight up because of that experience. Laine shouldn't be in these kind of conversations since he is an extreme anomaly.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Laine shouldn't be in these kind of conversations since he is an extreme anomaly.

Laine wasn't and actually still isn't "ready" in some areas, but his shot covers the shortcomings while he's getting readier.

It'd been interesting to see how last season would've gone with Jesse if he'd hit some goals at the start of the season instead of hitting the posts. I still don't quite get it how some people now think he's some two years away from being NHL-ready, while he was doing just fine last autumn. Was even one of the best players in some games. And out of the three last preseason games he had good games, scoring 2+1 (plus one clear assist not counted) in four games so was it really that bad. He would definitely be playing in many other teams, probably at a top6 spot, so the circumstances play a big role too. Patience is the key word here as his time will come.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
To sad he is not ready yet, would be an excellent moment for him now, Oilers plays bad, second best player is down with an injury. Man I wish he mskes it soon, so he could shut up all Leaf fans...

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
To sad he is not ready yet, would be an excellent moment for him now, Oilers plays bad, second best player is down with an injury. Man I wish he mskes it soon, so he could shut up all Leaf fans...

I would love to see him up here now, but I understand they don't want to call him up immediately after they just sent him to the AHL. As for being ready, I don't think there will be an exact moment when he's ready, as I don't think any 19-year-old player from outside of NA can be 100% ready. Neither do they need to be if they're good enough anyway.

After the last preseason game I saw no report that said Jesse wouldn't be ready, so I personally don't quite understand why e.g. Caggiula, Strome, JJ and Slepy have such secured spots, but that's how it is. I hope Jesse will have some good games in the AHL and once he gets back he'll continue from where he left at the last game.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
You would've taken McAvoy 4th overall? Right...
Yes and said so in the draft thread as well at the time... but the prudent thing to do would have been for the Oilers to trade down and take him.

He was the 3rd best prospect in that draft behind Matthews and Laine though and I said so at the time.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Another game in the AHL and another disappointing outing for Pulj. How anybody can think that this player is going to be an offensive player in the NHL is beyond me. He fails the eye test, and he fails the stats test. 2 points through 4 games, and no goals. It isn't like he's getting lots of chance either, with under 2 shots per game. No offence to his game whatsoever.

Tkachuk would have been a much, much better pick. I can't say that I knew any better though, I was very happy to have Pulj "fall" to us, and there is no way that I would have chosen Tkachuk over Pulj either. It's just to bad that the early results are showing that we have wasted yet another high draft pick.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Another game in the AHL and another disappointing outing for Pulj. How anybody can think that this player is going to be an offensive player in the NHL is beyond me. He fails the eye test, and he fails the stats test. 2 points through 4 games, and no goals. It isn't like he's getting lots of chance either, with under 2 shots per game. No offence to his game whatsoever.

Tkachuk would have been a much, much better pick. I can't say that I knew any better though, I was very happy to have Pulj "fall" to us, and there is no way that I would have chosen Tkachuk over Pulj either. It's just to bad that the early results are showing that we have wasted yet another high draft pick.

Exactly why you should wait before continuing to crap on the player. He's a year and change after his draft, lots of time before we should be concerned about him potentially being a bust.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Exactly why you should wait before continuing to crap on the player. He's a year and change after his draft, lots of time before we should be concerned about him potentially being a bust.

Yeah, it's possible that he can turn into something. Drai didn't look very good in the AHL, and he was 1 year older than Pulj. I would strongly argue that Drai looked a LOT better in the NHL during his rookie year. You could see that Drai had the potential of being a good offensive player (although I never thought he'd end up as good as he currently is). You just don't see that with Pulj, at least I don't see it anyhow. Hopefully I'm wrong, and Pulj starts to do *something* that gives us a glimmer of hope, because so far it's just been crickets offensively.

Reactions: jebs

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
You would've taken McAvoy 4th overall? Right...

Just as further proof of my thoughts on that draft...

Here were my pre-draft rankings of the players:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...ely-now-according-to-stauffer.2087995/page-17

I had Puljujarvi ranked #11 in a tier with several other players well below McAvoy who I felt was all alone at #3 below only Matthews (the clear #1) and Laine (the clear #2).

I had Tkachuk at #7 in a tier with Brown and Sergachev.

That's why I put my ranks up pre-draft... so I wouldn't take shit about that non-consensus view of having McAvoy so high and then when McAvoy turns out well and people started to say "nobody knew he'd be that good"... I could refer back to that.

Reactions: bukwas

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Well i dont know. I still have faith for pulju but if you look at his stats at eliteprospects you can see that something happend after his stint in NHL.. production dropped to zero in internationals. He did produce decent in the ahl tho. Maybe it is because he is focusing on something else on his game or something? Otherwise he took a huge nosedive ;/

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

I remember I said for you guys that Puljujarvi scored those 17 points in 2016 world junior only because he was playing with Laine and Aho which made him better what he actually was.

Puljujarvi and Teemu Pulkkinen are modern examples on that how lousy league SM liiga is preparing players to NHL standards without any exceptions ( Barkov, Laine, and Aho)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If Jesse Puljujarvi isn't showing any signals on improving when this season is ended it could be better to trade Jesse during next summer.

Teravainen had also some problems in Blackhawks and they traded him to Carolina so maybe Oilers should try same with Puljujarvi.
In Carolina Jesse can play again with Aho and who knows if he makes impact in there.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Jesse Puljujarvi isn't showing any signals on improving when this season is ended it could be better to trade Jesse during next summer.

Teravainen had also some problems in Blackhawks and they traded him to Carolina so maybe Oilers should try same with Puljujarvi.
In Carolina Jesse can play again with Aho and who knows if he makes impact in there.

I’d trade him for Slavin but I doubt Carolina would.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, it's possible that he can turn into something. Drai didn't look very good in the AHL, and he was 1 year older than Pulj. I would strongly argue that Drai looked a LOT better in the NHL during his rookie year. You could see that Drai had the potential of being a good offensive player (although I never thought he'd end up as good as he currently is). You just don't see that with Pulj, at least I don't see it anyhow. Hopefully I'm wrong, and Pulj starts to do *something* that gives us a glimmer of hope, because so far it's just been crickets offensively.

I disagree with the bold. Drai was awful in his 1/2 rookie season. A complete fish out of water. I think some people forget that because of how good he was in his second season and last year. Pulju had the same production Drai did in their rookie seasons in 10 fewer games. And wasn't the liability Draisaitl was as a rookie.

I'm also willing to bet you made posts about Draisaitl after a slow start in the AHL in his 2nd season that are nearly identical to the ones you're posting here about Puljujarvi.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

Trade him for Slavin?? OMG. Right now his value is pretty low as he's not even excelling in the AHL and could easily flame out. At the draft I wanted Tkachuk and his edge and pedigree, and Tkachuk went WAY past anything I thought he could have in his rookie year. I just thought his edge and determination would have been a great fit for this team. Oh well, easy to go back and say who we SHOULD have picked - at the time there was a party when Pulju "slipped" to the 4th pick LOL... Everyone was super happy.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I hardly ever agree with you and generally think that you jump to conclusions on players way too quickly but I have to agree here.

I voiced these concerns early in the thread that I just haven't see any high level skills from him that you always see at least glimpses of from highly touted forwards. He's soft as charmin as well too. His AHL start isn't helping to ease these concerns.

Some people say that they want to send Yamamoto down and replace him with Puljujarvi and to that I say WHAT? What has Pulju done to prove that he's better than Yamamoto in any aspect besides being taller? The kid needs to start showing something this season. He's still very young but these are critical development years and he needs to have a year of progress.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
What is disconcerting about his game is his stat line seems to show he is not even getting much off on the way of shots on net. If he was getting 5 or 6 shots a game like Yam's is up here then that would be a tell ... he isn't.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Trade him for Slavin?? OMG. Right now his value is pretty low as he's not even excelling in the AHL and could easily flame out. At the draft I wanted Tkachuk and his edge and pedigree, and Tkachuk went WAY past anything I thought he could have in his rookie year. I just thought his edge and determination would have been a great fit for this team. Oh well, easy to go back and say who we SHOULD have picked - at the time there was a party when Pulju "slipped" to the 4th pick LOL... Everyone was super happy.

I wanted Tkachuk but I think that since we signed Looch and acquired Maroon that we felt that we had that that player type covered. As it stands there is lots of time for Jesse to get going and as long as management sees him making a solid effort I think that he'll be here long term.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

As a Panthers fan i would like see Jesse in Barkov's RW.
But Panthers has Owen Tippett looking that spot when Vrbata retires so i'm not sure is Dale Tallon interested Puljujarvi.

Some reason i'm still hoping that Puljujarvi goes Mikael Granlund's route than Teemu Pulkkinen's route.
It took 4 seasons of Mikael Granlund before he made impact ( last season) in Wild so i'm not given up yet.

But i have my doubts so long when Jesse finally proves himself in NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad