Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I like Jesse and I appreciate his potential.
That said for me until Jesse does something then he is just a player with potential. Its up to him to separate himself by accomplishing something noteworthy. He simply hasnt done that yet in NA.
The clock is ticking....he needs to start making some progress.

Yes, I appreciate your opinion. I just disagree with the last line, as it's hard to show your progress until you get to play in the NHL for a while. But if Chia and McLellan are as unsure about his potential they should really trade Jesse, should've done already a while ago, but it's still not too late. However, it sounds at least Chia was very happy with what he saw in the AHL.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
When JP gets comfortable in the NHL and starts playing with the confidence he had in the juniors and Finland, Oilers are gonna win the cup.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yes, I appreciate your opinion. I just disagree with the last line, as it's hard to show your progress until you get to play in the NHL for a while. But if Chia and McLellan are as unsure about his potential they should really trade Jesse, should've done already a while ago, but it's still not too late. However, it sounds at least Chia was very happy with what he saw in the AHL.

This is just not true. I think the challenge for Jesse is the culture shock and adjusting to the NA game. The AHL is the perfect place to do that because the spotlight is off of the player. In the NHL the spotlight is on and that makes this adjustment much harder.
So this is a perfect opportunity for Jesse. I hope that he is mature enough to recognize that.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Pulju can show some progress by lighting up the AHL like who I think is a comparable is Rantanen. Both from the same country. Same height and size and similar skillset except Rantanen isn't as good as a skater. Rantanen got called up by forcing the Avs hands with his plays. Got called up and stayed up for good

Reactions: guymez

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Fair enough everyone. I am just wanting to see something from him that reminds me why he got drafted so high. Like either a really great play or any real wow moment. I haven't seen that from him since we was drafted. Even Draisaitl gave us wow moments. I mean, it might of helped that when he went back down to junior he straight up dominated and Pulju went to a harder league but still.

I am willing to be patient with him but I am just not expecting as much as a lot of people are.

Yeah i agree he has not shown too much yet but atleast one thing stands out to me. Mcdavids first (and only?) Nhl hattrick came during a short stint with puljujärvi. I thought that was promising.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Yeah i agree he has not shown too much yet but atleast one thing stands out to me. Mcdavids first (and only?) Nhl hattrick came during a short stint with puljujärvi. I thought that was promising.

That was the first game they played together and before that McDavid had 10 consecutive games with no goals. I still remember how excited everyone was about Jesse at that time and how magazines named him one of the best players on the ice. I hope and really believe those times will come back.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That was the first game they played together and before that McDavid had 10 consecutive games with no goals. I still remember how excited everyone was about Jesse at that time and how magazines named him one of the best players on the ice. I hope and really believe those times will come back.
And after that I don't think Pulju saw McDavid time again.

Which is why I think McLellan might just not like him.

I don't think Pulju has shown enough but maybe its cause he isn't being given the opportunity to?

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I was trying to check some info and happened to see an article at Oilonwhyte.com from this preseason. Here's some quotes:

Considering his performance, as well as his speed and overall improvement of his game, he is proving that he has what it takes to perform at the NHL level.

However, he came out showing speed and skill and tried to do everything in his power to stand out. With great speed, quick hands and a lethal shot, he managed to be one of the best Oilers on the ice and the first star of the night.

In 28 games with the Oilers last season, he recorded a goal and eight points before being assigned to the Bakersfield Condors, where he impressed and posted 12 goals and 28 points through 39 AHL games.
The 6-foot-4, 211-pound winger is an excellent skater with quick hands and great vision. He is able to make smart passes and carry his own line, and he also has an outstanding shot. However, he will have to work on remaining consistent game after game and could stand to focus more on his two-way game.

As I've written several times consistency is the main thing he needs to work on and this writer seems to see it the same way. I bolded one sentence, as if that's true I don't think that's too bad for a 19-year-old player.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

I don't think Pulju has shown enough but maybe its cause he isn't being given the opportunity to?

He did have altogether four games with McDavid and started the fifth with him, but the lines were shuffled after they'd had just a couple of shifts in that game. At that time everyone seemed pissed about that move. In those four games Jesse had five points (should've been six), but once he was dropped down and soon benched things started to go downhill.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

You could be right. I definitely thought at the time that maybe he didnt like JP.

But TM has pretty much done the same thing to Yamamoto so far. He hasnt got much opportunity and when Yama has made a mistake hes been benched or relegated to the fourth line. Last year when JP made a mistake and would get benched for the third period. Letestu and Hendricks would make a mistake and cost a goal against, then when the Oilers were up a goal and 1 minute left, TM would put Letestu and Hendricks back out there to protect the lead.

I think Yamamoto has actually gotten the cold shoulder more than JP did, so I dont know if I would say TM doesnt like JP. I do think he likes Yamamoto but I honestly just dont think TM wants to play (18/19/20 year old) rookies. Unless your name is McDavid or Draitsaitl, which are the obvious exceptions.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You could be right. I definitely thought at the time that maybe he didnt like JP.

But TM has pretty much done the same thing to Yamamoto so far. He hasnt got much opportunity and when Yama has made a mistake hes been benched or relegated to the fourth line. Last year when JP made a mistake and would get benched for the third period. Letestu and Hendricks would make a mistake and cost a goal against, then when the Oilers were up a goal and 1 minute left, TM would put Letestu and Hendricks back out there to protect the lead.

I think Yamamoto has actually gotten the cold shoulder more than JP did, so I dont know if I would say TM doesnt like JP. I do think he likes Yamamoto but I honestly just dont think TM wants to play (18/19/20 year old) rookies. Unless your name is McDavid or Draitsaitl, which are the obvious exceptions.

This is starting to sound like Yakupov Ver 2.
Its seems to me instead of suggesting that TM doesnt like 'rookie player X' that maybe there are other more legitimate reasons for whats happening.
McDavid is seeing the best dmen in the NHL...it seems more than reasonable to me that McLellan is trying to provide an easier development path for these young players.
I mean suggesting that its because he just doesnt like the player seems a little ridiculous.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Its seems to me instead of suggesting that TM doesnt like 'rookie player X' that maybe there are other more legitimate reasons for whats happening.
McDavid is seeing the best dmen in the NHL...it seems more than reasonable to me that McLellan is trying to provide an easier development path for these young players.
I mean suggesting that its because he just doesnt like the player seems a little ridiculous.
Its more, young player gets put with Mcdavid, does really well they put up a few points. Then next game they get 4th lined and their confidence takes a hit.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Its more, young player gets put with Mcdavid, does really well they put up a few points. Then next game they get 4th lined and their confidence takes a hit.

I think you might be referring to preseason.
In preseason I didnt see that take place. I saw McLellan playing different players with McDavid.It was a limited amount of games and McDavid didnt play every game.
So I never saw the trend that you are referring to.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I dunno if I worded my post weird or not. But I think we are saying the same thing. My point is that I dont think TM is/went going out of his way to treat JP poorly. Because he has treated KY essentially the same way he has treated JP. I dont think TM actually dislikes any of these players. I think its his way of developing players, similar to what you said.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I dunno if I worded my post weird or not. But I think we are saying the same thing. My point is that I dont think TM is/went going out of his way to treat JP poorly. Because he has treated KY essentially the same way he has treated JP. I dont think TM actually dislikes any of these players. I think its his way of developing players, similar to what you said.

Oh okay...fair enough.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think you might be referring to preseason.
In preseason I didnt see that take place. I saw McLellan playing different players with McDavid.It was a limited amount of games and McDavid didnt play every game.
So I never saw the trend that you are referring to.
It has been in the past couple years. With Yakupov and Puljujarvi.

Maybe he does like the players but it's his way of developing them. Either way I am not a huge fan of it but if it works in the end, whatever.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
It has been in the past couple years. With Yakupov and Puljujarvi.

Maybe he does like the players but it's his way of developing them. Either way I am not a huge fan of it but if it works in the end, whatever.

The thing that worries me about what TM does is that I wonder what kind of signal it sends to the player. Yamamoto cheats for offense and gives the puck away ... but nothing happens. McDavid and Draitsaitl cheat for offense numerous times and end up as a -3. TM keeps putting them out there.

I'm not saying that TM shouldnt be playing McDavid or Draitsaitl, but if I put myself in Yamamotos shoes it just seems unfair. One player gets continuous ice time while the other gets benched. Happened a lot last year with JP as well.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The thing that worries me about what TM does is that I wonder what kind of signal it sends to the player. Yamamoto cheats for offense and gives the puck away ... but nothing happens. McDavid and Draitsaitl cheat for offense numerous times and end up as a -3. TM keeps putting them out there.

I'm not saying that TM shouldnt be playing McDavid or Draitsaitl, but if I put myself in Yamamotos shoes it just seems unfair. One player gets continuous ice time while the other gets benched. Happened a lot last year with JP as well.
Thats my thing too. I get why he doesn't sit Drai and McDavid after it because they are our top players and do know better. But I couldn't imagine being a rookie, busting my ass off playing well and I make one mistake and get benched when other guys literally cost goals and keep going. It would probably kill my confidence more and lead to more mistakes.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Guys quit underestimating our rookies.Also you do not give favors to rookie.

It's not about giving favors to a rookie, it's about giving them a fair chance. Last year Jesse really had a different situation compared to basically all the veterans and even Caggiula, as he was considered pretty mistake free at that time (yes, it can be checked from the old posts) but one mistake was enough to get him benched. By that time e.g. Eberle had made lots of costly mistakes, and to be honest the veterans made at least one clear mistake in just about each game. However, the only one to get benched immediately was Pulju.

I think it was just too much to expect that an 18-year-guy with almost no English skills and no prior experience in NA would manage to keep his confidence after that. I emphasize that I'm only talking about the time when Jesse was still considered a hot player, not the time after the benching started.

It's alright to disagree with how I see Jesse's potential, but what I wrote above is exactly how it went. There was actually a lot of talk about the way Jesse was treated, and it's not wrong to say many people felt angry about it. As for Yamo I can't say much as I haven't seen either of the two games.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's not about giving favors to a rookie, it's about giving them a fair chance. Last year Jesse really had a different situation compared to basically all the veterans and even Caggiula, as he was considered pretty mistake free at that time (yes, it can be checked from the old posts) but one mistake was enough to get him benched. By that e.g. Eberle had made lots of costly mistakes, and to be honest almost every veteran made at least one clear mistake in just about each game. However, the only one to get benched immediately was Pulju.

It's alright to disagree with how I see Jesse's potential, but what I wrote above is exactly how it went. There was actually a lot of talk about the way Jesse was treated, and it's not wrong to say many people felt angry about it.

Its hyperbole in my humble opinion.
Like I said before this looks a lot like Yakupov ver 2 where we point the finger at everything (and everybody) but the player himself.
Jesse has a lot to adjust to and the solution for all he has on his plate isn't to point the finger at TMac.
Jesse doesnt even know the fricken language...he said himself that he hasnt adjusted very well and wants to make the adjustment a priority.
So perhaps the coach recognizes that he just isnt ready and that Jesse has a lot to attend to before he is given the toughest minutes on the team with the best player.

Sounds a lot more plausible to me that suggesting that the coach is getting in the way of the players success.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Its hyperbole in my humble opinion.
Like I said before this looks a lot like Yakupov ver 2 where we point the finger at everything (and everybody) but the player himself.
Jesse has a lot to adjust to and the solution for all he has on his plate isn't to point the finger at TMac.
Jesse doesnt even know the fricken language...he said himself that he hasnt adjusted very well and wants to make the adjustment a priority.
So perhaps the coach recognizes that he just isnt ready and that Jesse has a lot to attend to before he is given the toughest minutes on the team with the best player.

Sounds a lot more plausible to me that suggesting that the coach is getting in the way of the players success.

No offense but it seems like you didn't really watch the last season or at least last autumn too much. I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but you should know what I'm talking about is how it went. I may be wrong in many things but I know this is not one of them.

As for Jesse's language, I was very disappointed that he wasn't prepared better. However, he's taken a lot of language lessons and is doing much better now.

I understand there may be a reason for the coach to think Jesse is not ready and that's fine. I'm only talking about the last autumn, as that's when he was doing fine. The rawer sides started to show after the benching roulette started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad