Injury Report: Jesse Joensuu's Status?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Obviously with the potential short or long term loss of Taylor Hall we need all hands on deck. I know that Joensuu's issue has been his back, but has there been any info other than the good ole day to day listing? Hopefully he can come back sometime soon and healthy enough to play a big mans game out there because we really need someone in our top 9 to do that.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
I don't think we've heard anything, I havne't seen anything come across my twitter feed or anything either.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Back problems are tricky, hopefully he gets back quick.

Also I haven't heard anything on Ryan Hamilton either, but he's on IR while Joesnsuu isn't (yet).

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
With the exception of Nuge we haven't heard anything about any of our injured players. Time lines or anything.

MacIntrye
Hamilon
Potter
Joensuu

No idea on any of these guys.

Even Grebeshkov we were in the dark.

I guess we were given an idea with Gagner.

Last edited:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

With the exception of Nuge we haven't heard anything about any of our injured players. Time lines or anything.

MacIntrye
Hamilon
Potter
Joensuu

Could keeping the flow of information on injured players allow the Oilers a bit of flexibility in terms of call-ups and the cap?

edit: maybe not the cap, since none of them are LTIR as far as I know.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
One things for sure... the Oilers ****** luck with injuries continues on year after year after year.

Lots of injuries and no playoffs is the only thing you can be assured of as an Oilers fan.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

MacIntrye
Hamilon
Potter
Joensuu

Seems to be the way Eakins wants to run things.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
I'm a little surprised/disappointed that we haven't heard a timeline from anyone in the media covering the team. If there is no timeline, it would have been nice to hear that too.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm a little surprised/disappointed that we haven't heard a timeline from anyone in the media covering the team. If there is no timeline, it would have been nice to hear that too.

Eakins doesn't let that info out. Unless MacT is being interviewed I doubt we hear much on injury updates.

Even MacT, he seems to be giving pessimistic timelines.

I guess another way to find out would be guys that talk to Gregor, he did have Mac on his show today. Not sure if there was an update on him, but Gregor did get an update from Gagner the other day.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
To add and I'll start by saying I personally like to know what is going on, but what does a coach have to gain by telling the fans what is happening with injuries players?

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
To add and I'll start by saying I personally like to know what is going on, but what does a coach have to gain by telling the fans what is happening with injuries players?

You're absolutely right that there's no benefit to the coach providing this info, and if I recall from a past Eakins interview, he doesn't follow the progression of injured players too much. It's basically "the trainers will let me know when a guy is ready to come back. Until then, I don't really care". I paraphrased that. So he legitimately probably isn't the best guy to be providing that kind of info.

On the flip side, if a guy like Joensuu is say, a week away, what's the harm in telling the fans that? If for no other reason than to keep them happy.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Can somebody help jog my memory on Joensuu.

He was injured and missed a game or two then came back for a game and hasn't been back since correct? Or was he simply gone all this time?

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
Can somebody help jog my memory on Joensuu.

He was injured and missed a game or two then came back for a game and hasn't been back since correct? Or was he simply gone all this time?

You would be correct in your first assumption he came back for a game and then left which I am sure is still the same injury.

Oct 15, 2008
There probably isnt a timeline for Joensuu because nobody knows for sure when he will be able to play. Bad backs are like that.

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
Teams are more and more using injured reserved to cover contract, salary and waiver concerns. Philadelphia has perfected this to an art. If you are going to use it as such you can't or do not want to give out any info as it restricts your flexibility as well as sets you up for rules violations. The less you say, the less can be held against you.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You're absolutely right that there's no benefit to the coach providing this info, and if I recall from a past Eakins interview, he doesn't follow the progression of injured players too much. It's basically "the trainers will let me know when a guy is ready to come back. Until then, I don't really care". I paraphrased that. So he legitimately probably isn't the best guy to be providing that kind of info.

On the flip side, if a guy like Joensuu is say, a week away, what's the harm in telling the fans that? If for no other reason than to keep them happy.

I think the harm is that if you say he is back for next tuesday against Toronto and he plays Sunday fans freak out that he was rushed. If he doesn't play next Tuesday fans freak out that he is severely injured. :laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Teams are more and more using injured reserved to cover contract, salary and waiver concerns. Philadelphia has perfected this to an art. If you are going to use it as such you can't or do not want to give out any info as it restricts your flexibility as well as sets you up for rules violations. The less you say, the less can be held against you.

This is a good point as well.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Chris Wescott ‏@TheChrisWescott 3m
#Oilers Joensuu "not on the radar yet". Still not practicing with team

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
We're back problems his problem in NYI last year too?

Whatever we did with Bulin's back worked. He had a long history of back problems and after the Oilers doctors finally fixed the problem, I think everything else got hurt but his back was actually alright. Rinse and repeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->