Injury Report: Jesper Fast: Hip Surgery, Recovery Time 5 months

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I guess not. Just like people call Stepan a veteran, but Kreider a promising player, despite only being 9 months younger.

Fast and Lindberg are so overrated by our fanbase. Losing one of these guys for nothing in expansion really isn't a big deal. They're dime-a-dozen players. Every single NHL team has 2-4 guys that they can play up and down the lineup in a pinch.

They're good bottom-6 players. And losing an asset for nothing is always going to suck. But there are quite a few UFA players out there this season that can step into the bottom-6 and replace and/or outperform what Fast and Lindberg bring.

I'd rather lose the winger than the center. Replace Fast with...

Weal, B. Boyle, Gagner, PAP, Pyatt, Skille, Hrivik(!).

Some of these guys bring things to the table that Fast doesn't, some of them don't bring to the table things that Fast did.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Stepan isn't flashy. That's what people don't like. They want some fancy center who scores 30 goals every season.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Stepan isn't flashy. That's what people don't like. They want some fancy center who scores 30 goals every season.

In Stepan defense both him and Zucc hit so many posts this season. He still produce points indeed, but what most fans especially radio or podcast shows mention is the lack of FO% 47.04 in regular season, and FO% 41.94 in playoffs.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I'm not looking to get rid of Stepan despite the awful playoffs.

Stepan is what he is at this point. The frustrating part about him is that he looks like he can be a much better scorer than he is. He puts himself in great position to score with his smart play, but then slightly hesitates to shoot or shoots wide and the golden opportunity is gone.

While Hayes may end up coming close to Stepan in points, that's all he will come close to. Hayes fails in comparison at everything else. It would be a big mistake in my opinion to trade Stepan and expect Hayes to fill his shoes. If I'm moving someone, I'm moving Hayes.

Let Lindberg fill the third line role if necessary.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Christ. This "you're stupidif you want to trade Stepan" **** is in every freaking thread.

Don't think anyone is saying that. But what is happening in every thread is a comparison to, and a massive underrating of, Stepan.

And when people say that they think Lindberg will be a better player than Stepan, they deserve to get taken down.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
In Stepan defense both him and Zucc hit so many posts this season. He still produce points indeed, but what most fans especially radio or podcast shows mention is the lack of FO% 47.04 in regular season, and FO% 41.94 in playoffs.

Nobody is complaining about Malkin with 43.1%, or McDavid with 43.2%. Those are obviously better centers but the point is that face-off percentage isn't really a big deal.

It seems like it's often used to judge centers who aren't putting up 80+ points, to justify why they should be traded/aren't good. If you really want to judge a center on his FO%, you should look at the most important draws.

In the defensive zone (Where face-offs are deemed most important) Stepan is 49.3%.

That's better than:

Thornton (48.9%)
Sedin (48.5%)
Tavares (48.4%)
Backstrom (45.3%)
Crosby (45.2%)
Barkov (45.2%)

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Fast and Lindberg are so overrated by our fanbase. Losing one of these guys for nothing in expansion really isn't a big deal. They're dime-a-dozen players. Every single NHL team has 2-4 guys that they can play up and down the lineup in a pinch.

They're good bottom-6 players. And losing an asset for nothing is always going to suck. But there are quite a few UFA players out there this season that can step into the bottom-6 and replace and/or outperform what Fast and Lindberg bring.

I'd rather lose the winger than the center. Replace Fast with...

Weal, B. Boyle, Gagner, PAP, Pyatt, Skille, Hrivik(!).

Some of these guys bring things to the table that Fast doesn't, some of them don't bring to the table things that Fast did.

That is exactly right. Centers are the backbone of the offense. I am hoping we don't lose Lindberg. I'm actually worried. It's harder to replace centers than wingers.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Don't think anyone is saying that. But what is happening in every thread is a comparison to, and a massive underrating of, Stepan.

And when people say that they think Lindberg will be a better player than Stepan, they deserve to get taken down.

I don't know anyone who has said that, but I do know this; Lindberg is a very good bottom six center. In that he has value to this team.

It's been said in here many times and it happens to be true that if Stepan is your first line center, your team has major problems.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I don't know anyone who has said that, but I do know this; Lindberg is a very good bottom six center. In that he has value to this team.

It's been said in here many times and it happens to be true that if Stepan is your first line center, your team has major problems.

Same. My gut tells me Lindberg will wind up being better then Steps as a 2 way center. Both on O and D.

His gut sucks.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Guys, more importantly, we're all calling him Jester Fast from now on, right?

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
We need more players like Fast and Lindberg, not less. I hope we manage to keep both of them. More on topic, Fast will likely struggle upon his return just like Lindberg did. I hope our fanbase can be patient and give him time. These two were two of our best players in the playoffs. They are huge pieces to this team.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
They should send Lindberg off to get some undisclosed minor cosmetic surgery and announce he'll be out for 8 months.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
They should send Lindberg off to get some undisclosed minor cosmetic surgery and announce he'll be out for 8 months.

Might as well do the same thing for all players they are not looking to trade/lose to the expansion.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
If they want Fast they can still pick him injured or not. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->