Olympics: Jerseys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Agree, that logo was really nice, the best Canadian jersey ever IMO.

preview_614_17029.jpg

team-canada-72-replica-away-jersey.png

Best ever.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
preview_614_17029.jpg

team-canada-72-replica-away-jersey.png

Best ever.
Nope, I don't like the Hockey Canada logo because the hockey player silouette is tacky on a national emblem. It's fine as a hockey federation logo, but very ugly on a national jersey.

I also don't like the 2nd one. The leaf is too big, the whole is too plain and too 70ish.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It all comes down to taste. Aside from the "laces" on these jerseys, I think they're all very nice, and I think a lot of the ones being shown as good examples of old jerseys are awful. It's almost entirely subjective.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Most of the uniforms actually look good; especially from a wide angle.

I think Canada, especially the red uniform, is by far the worst in the tournament.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Where does the green color come from?

200px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Slovenia.svg.png

200px-Flag_of_Slovenia.svg.png

I'm not sure why green specifically. But I had read somewhere that because Yugoslavia wore red and blue at the Olympics, the Slovenian Olympic Committee decided when Yugoslavia dissolved that they wanted a new identity. They did not want to be seen as the successor to Yugoslavia for political reasons. Thus, the different colours.

Being that this was decided in the early 90s, neon colours were all the rage. For instance the WLAF's Orlando Thunder wore neon green uniforms during their existence. So it may have been a sign of the times, I am slightly surprised they didn't wear teal. But it very well could be due to more than simply what was in at the time.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
I really didn't like that blue stripe across the Czech chest. Looked out of balance and out of balance.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Meh. It's fine. Outside of the tacky crap at the top and the blasphemous Nike logo.

This is the second post I've seen you say something about the Nike logo. You realize this is standard operating procedure for every piece of sporting equipment in the last 30 years right?

I mean all things considered it's really not bad.

zamo86*

Being that this was decided in the early 90s, neon colours were all the rage. For instance the WLAF's Orlando Thunder wore neon green uniforms during their existence. So it may have been a sign of the times, I am slightly surprised they didn't wear teal. But it very well could be due to more than simply what was in at the time.

Neon colours on the jerseys are a recent invention and has nothing to do with the 90s. Dont know who invented it and decided to put it on the jerseys and whats got to do with the national symbolism but I dont recall a single national team or an individual athlete jersey from Slovenia that had that neon green.. lets say before 2010.

I think they just picked the colour from the most recent marketing stunt of the Slovenian Tourism Board:
0476646001353151521.jpg

The Slovenian Basketball Association then came up with this:
logo.jpg

And eventually, for 2013, they came up with this (they're the only national team that has used green as a primary or secondary colour since the independence and the only one next to the volleyball team who started using neon green as primary/secondary colour, also picked up in 2013 - its kind of sad really that a commercial determines the colours of the national team jerseys):
slika-600x340-1341828800-763893.jpg

635052476156078216_odbojka_slo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

zamo86*

I'm not sure why green specifically. But I had read somewhere that because Yugoslavia wore red and blue at the Olympics, the Slovenian Olympic Committee decided when Yugoslavia dissolved that they wanted a new identity. They did not want to be seen as the successor to Yugoslavia for political reasons. Thus, the different colours.

That was the official "argument" of the Slovenian Olympic Committee :) In reality, the Slovenian ice hockey team continued the tradition of the white, blue and red jerseys that represented Yugoslavian ice hockey team before the breakup of the country. The reason was because most Yugoslav ice hockey players were from Slovenia (56 out of 60 Yugoslav ice hockey Olympians were ethnic Slovenians). Good old days when tradition and history mattered I guess :sarcasm:

Using only national colours and keeping up with the tradition:
634510805993566637_jersey2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad