Jersey types in Pick-up games

dbbourn

Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
Strange, I've seen guys with nhl team jerseys and haven't seen much of a reaction.

The ultimate solution to this issue is the reversable practice jersey. It is white on one side and black on the other. It isn't as light as the regular practice jerseys, but it breathes better than the replicas. Also, it helps you maximize your ice time... when the black team starts losing players toward the end of the open session you can reverse your jersey and help them out. It is a small price to pay to get more ice time.

The one I use is made by Athletic Knit and cost me about $20.
http://www.homegrownsportinggoods.com/atknh6reprje.html

Polska

May 25, 2004
Vancouver
I have noticed one thing though. Anyone wearing a personalized jersey normally stinks. I had the joy of skating with Jagr and Bure tonight....shocking that they were the two worst skaters there.

Well, you can't really blame Bure, his knees are really ****ed up. And Jagr probably didn't get enough sleep the night before, nightmares of last years playoffs and Joe Thornton normally keep him up.

dylan

Nov 30, 2005
ontario
i just wear my suomi jersey i found at the thrift store. i dont see a problem with people wearing the nhl jerseys though.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
I have noticed one thing though. Anyone wearing a personalized jersey normally stinks. I had the joy of skating with Jagr and Bure tonight....shocking that they were the two worst skaters there.

I can't stand when people wear NHL player-personalized jerseys for pick up. And if they suck, it's even worse....lol.

Polska

May 25, 2004
Vancouver
i hope i dont look like a dork when i start playing here pretty soon. Thats me in my avatar wearing an authentic Malkin Penguins jersey

Bad idea. Really no one will care, but If you're just starting out you might be the butt of a couple jokes (people will probably mockingly call you Malkin behind your back) and worst of all you'll ruin a kill jersey.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I just wear my practice jerseys or team jerseys.

My team's is white so I have that if I want to be a light and my practice is navy so I have that if I want to be a dark.

I HATE it when people wear the customzied NHL jerseys. Why? Have you ever SEEN a jersey after a few pick up games? Holes, sweat, sometimes blood. It's going to get freaking TRASHED.

marillion-fan, do yourself a favour and save some money by picking up a cheap $15 practice jersey.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
A jersey is a jersey, wear whatever you like.

I always bring a whole bunch of jerseys to pickup because you never know who might need one. Occasionally I'll throw an old NHL jersey in there. I like to wear my old Zelepukin jersey because it's just funny.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL

My team's is white so I have that if I want to be a light and my practice is navy so I have that if I want to be a dark.

I HATE it when people wear the customzied NHL jerseys. Why? Have you ever SEEN a jersey after a few pick up games? Holes, sweat, sometimes blood. It's going to get freaking TRASHED.

marillion-fan, do yourself a favour and save some money by picking up a cheap $15 practice jersey.

Well I could always wear my game-used Chris Joseph Pens jersey from '86. That thing is pretty trashed to hell as it is. stick marks, board marks, and the screen printing (the Pens were I think one of only 2 teams to screen print all of their logos and numbers back then) is peeling off. I probably wouldnt look so bad then

stick9

Aug 12, 2004

That's what a washing machine is for. :D

I buy the pro jerseys (no numbers or letters) because they hold up better. My Bruin jersey only has one mark that won't come out. It's from the red paint on the dasher.

But yeah, leave the Malkin jersey at home.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
As long as you're out there to have fun, keep your cool and realize that you're not lifting Lord Stanley's Cup at the end of the game wear what ever you want.

If you're just starting out and people are being a jerk to you then they've got some issues.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I wear the exact same jersey to my open hockey thing each week (its always the same 20-25 guys), customized Rangers jersey. I really could care less if people are looking at me funny....then can get a good look at it after I skate by them with the puck :D

A couple of guys though wear customized NHL jerseys, and a couple more wear blank NHL jerseys....its not a big deal.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I usually wear an Ak-Bars Kazan Russian jersey, and I also have a traktor I wear. The Ak-Bars matches my pads so it works out real well. I got my name on the back in Russian, maybe its corny, but I like it.

I could honestly never wear another players name on the back of my jersey while actually playing a game, i dont know i just feel weird about it. I mean i wear them to NHL games all the time, but for actually playing, I wouldn't do it.

mini-mite fan

Feb 4, 2005
MN, USA
I wear both, but I agree if you wear a PERSONALIZED NHL jersey, you'd better be pretty darn good. And that never seems to be the case. I guess it's the "cool" thing to wear old tattered practice jerseys (I know I do) from other leagues or camps you have been in. I will, however, sometimes wear an old NHL jersey, but only after I've had it quite a long time. They are heavy and hot, plus they are too expensive to get cut up in a $5 a night rental or pick-up game! I know a lot of the guys on my beer league team just wear our jersey for every skate (imagine how our locker room smells about March!), no matter who we are playing.

I second bringing both white and dark jerseys at all times. Come on, mesh practice jerseys costs $10! Go buy a black or navy blue one and just leave it in your bag! Nothing like playing with a group and having to remember that one guy in red is on YOUR team, but the yellow guy is on the OTHER team! And so on. Good thing I usually have 3 or 4 jerseys of various colors in my bag.

I don't wear both; as the "pro-style" is definately the "uncool" thing with our group, and they definately are hotter, heavier, & too expensive for what we're doing.

And AMEN to the bringing a white & dark jersey comment. We always have the red/yellow guys showing up. Last year I had "yellow guy" on my team one week, then the next week we played a different team that had a "yellow guy" of their own, and I passed to him twice that night :banghead: :dunce: :dunno: !!!!!

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I have a few jersey's I picked up at thrift stores.

One is a pink one that has NADS on it. I laugh every time I wear it and my friends yell "Go Nads!"

Or my white/orange/blue one that has Bevears on it....

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
damn, what kind of thrift stores do you have where you live? The only jerseys i ever find at mine are little league soccer uniforms

I once saw a homeless guy in my town wearing a brand new Starter authentic Sakic Avs jersey. :eek: He is a town staple, so I knew he only had it for a day or so.

I figured he got it from one of the shelters....I seriously pondered giving him $20 for it, but the ethics of it were just wrong.

dylan

Nov 30, 2005
ontario
damn, what kind of thrift stores do you have where you live? The only jerseys i ever find at mine are little league soccer uniforms

yeah its mostly soccer jerseys and rec league jerseys in there but i check often since i live near the store. find a good find once every couple months. the suomi one really suprised me.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I think there can be stigmas attached to the people who show up in NHL jerseys. But if you're good and you're cool, no one really cares at the end of the day. Like people have said above don't do it if you suck. It'll just make you sucking stand out all the more.

Also, in the ball hockey league I'm in, where having fun and no one getting hurt are the prime goals of the league and especially of the pick up games/scrimmages, I've found that the guys who show up in jerseys tend to be the ones that take the hockey way too seriously but don't really get that we don't play by NHL rules. They're not careful with their sticks, they play the body too much, etc. Which is all well and fine if you're in the NHL, but in a coed league where you're running around on cement and not expecting to get hit, and someone comes and knocks you into the chainlink fence or along the concrete and then when you get up turns to follow the ball swinging his stick into your unpadded chest, it's really not cool.

I guess the point is, pick up games are meant to be fun and a bit more relaxed. Don't get me wrong, playing hard is expected, but showing up in an NHL jersey often gets people labeled with taking it too seriously and the whole "look at this guy, thinks he's in the NHL." I suppose there's probably also a newbie aspect of it, as it tends to say that you've never played for any team organized at least enough to have it's own jersey for you to wear instead. That's never been the case where I've played, but from reading others' comments, it sounds like it's likely the case in some places.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I usually wear an Ak-Bars Kazan Russian jersey, and I also have a traktor I wear. The Ak-Bars matches my pads so it works out real well. I got my name on the back in Russian, maybe its corny, but I like it.

I could honestly never wear another players name on the back of my jersey while actually playing a game, i dont know i just feel weird about it. I mean i wear them to NHL games all the time, but for actually playing, I wouldn't do it.

Where did you get it? I want something funky this year. Something like that would be great.

Oh, I think there is a big diference between guys who a pro jersey and guys who wear the whole get up, gloves, socks...the whole bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad