Jersey types in Pick-up games

Frozen North

Healthy Scratch
Oct 8, 2002
OK
Visit site
I just wanted to get some opinions here on a topic that we've been discussing recently. Whenever I go to local pick-up games, the majority of the players, young and old, wear either basic one-color "practice' jerseys, or some form of local rec-league or school jersey. It seems like people are careful not to wear NHL or minor league jerseys.

I'd even go so far as to say that players that wear an NHL team jersey or National team jersey get the old "look at this guy.." treatment.

I like to wear my Rangers jersey to play in, but whenever I do, I get a weird vibe from the locals.

Any opinions?

KariyaIsGod*

I wear my Sabre jersey and I havn't noticed this vibe at all. Perhaps it exists and I simply am totally oblivious to it but I'm not sure. Something to look out for next time I suppose.

As long as you're no the loser who wears #69 it's all good. ;)

Seriously though I don't have an opinion either way. I wear a practice jersey simply because I fin d that it breathes better and I don't get as hot. Also I don't want any puck marks on my NHL jerseys as I am a goalie. I have seen a few guys in pick-up wearing pro style jerseys, but not many.

Best one yet: A guy wearing an old CCCP uni with Larionov on the back. He was the oldest guy on the ice that day and easily the best. Though definately not the fastest.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I don't care what you wear as long as you bring both light and dark jerseys. And for Chuck's sake, try to be on time.

I wore an old roller hockey jersey or a HC Kocise Bondra jersey most of the time.

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
I don't care what you wear as long as you bring both light and dark jerseys.

I second that. I don't know why people can't remember this but it seems to be an issue.

I have a few pro jerseys and I never wear them while playing, for a couple of reasons. Personally, I'd feel like a dumba$$ if I showed up in a Richter jersey and then stunk up the joint. Also, for the amount of money they cost me, I don't want to wear them while being bombarded with pucks. A cheap practice jersey works just fine for me. I couldn't care less if someone else wore a pro jersey though.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
This made me laugh. I wore a NHL jersey to a local pickup and I was immediately an outcast. It was "uncool". I bring a white and a dark and wear whatever.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I wear mainly old jerseys from my college and rec-league days, but that's just because I have so many of them.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I like being able to wear whatever jersey I want. Seriously, if I am going to be outcast for wearing a certain jersey. Then it's not the kind of group I want to skate with. Who cares as long as you bring a lite and a dark, right...

If I got flack for having a certain jersey I'd probably come back the following week with matching socks. :D

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I make fun of the guys that can barely play but come decked out in lettered-NHL jerseys and matching socks/gloves.

But if you're decent it doesn't matter.

Jeffw-13

Mar 23, 2006
Lately I've been wearing my beer league uni at pick up only because it's already in my bag and the jersey is comfy.

Before that I brought white & black Penguins practice jerseys.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I wear a white B's jersey, and I don't get the weird vibe. Guys wear NHL, college, AHL jerseys all the time. Dressup is fun.:dunce:

Zelepukin Lives

Jul 27, 2006
Oregon
I just wanted to get some opinions here on a topic that we've been discussing recently. Whenever I go to local pick-up games, the majority of the players, young and old, wear either basic one-color "practice' jerseys, or some form of local rec-league or school jersey. It seems like people are careful not to wear NHL or minor league jerseys.

I'd even go so far as to say that players that wear an NHL team jersey or National team jersey get the old "look at this guy.." treatment.

I like to wear my Rangers jersey to play in, but whenever I do, I get a weird vibe from the locals.

Any opinions?

I'd make everybody watch the hockey game in Clerks and then wear whatever I felt like.

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
That's strange. Maybe it is an American/Canadian thing, but when I play shinny with my friends or at the local outdoor rink in the winter the majority of people wear an NHL or national team jersey.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
I have noticed one thing though. Anyone wearing a personalized jersey normally stinks. I had the joy of skating with Jagr and Bure tonight....shocking that they were the two worst skaters there.

Default101

i woudln't ever wear my NHL jersies to the rink simply becasue i wouldn't want them to get messed up from actually playing in them, i have a team Canada, Pittsburgh Penguin and Minnesota Wild Jersey the only time i wear them out is at college, or occasionally goin out to the bar, or just as a sweatshirt somewhere that i know it won't get messed up, usually just wear jersies from old leagues when ia ctually play.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I second that. I don't know why people can't remember this but it seems to be an issue.

I have a few pro jerseys and I never wear them while playing, for a couple of reasons. . . Also, for the amount of money they cost me, I don't want to wear them while being bombarded with pucks. A cheap practice jersey works just fine for me.

Plus, there's that wonderful "hockey smell" that gets into them and never leaves. :( If you're playing with friends I don't expect there would be a problem. If you're joining a bunch of guys you don't know but have played with each other for awhile they might think you're putting on airs -- either by wearing an expensive jersey or, like others have said, by comparing yourself to a pro player. If you feel the need to explain yourself you could say that all your practice jerseys smell like a s s. :D

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
i woudln't ever wear my NHL jersies to the rink simply becasue i wouldn't want them to get messed up from actually playing in them, i have a team Canada, Pittsburgh Penguin and Minnesota Wild Jersey the only time i wear them out is at college, or occasionally goin out to the bar, or just as a sweatshirt somewhere that i know it won't get messed up, usually just wear jersies from old leagues when ia ctually play.

I'd rather have blood on a hockey jersey than beer.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I bought a white B's jersey to exclusively wear at pickups. I don't mind if it gets beat up, hockey jerseys were made to be rocked on the ice.

Besides, it adds character to the jersey.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
Cheap!

I have an old beat up Pens sweater I wear to drop ins and the like. It's about 10 years old, no one's going to bash me for wearing that thing.

I really don't care what you wear so long as I can tell what team you're on.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
I wear both, but I agree if you wear a PERSONALIZED NHL jersey, you'd better be pretty darn good. And that never seems to be the case. I guess it's the "cool" thing to wear old tattered practice jerseys (I know I do) from other leagues or camps you have been in. I will, however, sometimes wear an old NHL jersey, but only after I've had it quite a long time. They are heavy and hot, plus they are too expensive to get cut up in a $5 a night rental or pick-up game! I know a lot of the guys on my beer league team just wear our jersey for every skate (imagine how our locker room smells about March!), no matter who we are playing.

I second bringing both white and dark jerseys at all times. Come on, mesh practice jerseys costs $10! Go buy a black or navy blue one and just leave it in your bag! Nothing like playing with a group and having to remember that one guy in red is on YOUR team, but the yellow guy is on the OTHER team! And so on. Good thing I usually have 3 or 4 jerseys of various colors in my bag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad