Jeremy Jacobs Q & A

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/spor...of_the_board_singing_a_small-market_tune.html

Question: Harley Hotchkiss was the face of the small-market franchises during his reign with the governors. You will be their protector as well?

Answer: Most small franchises are pretty darn successful right now. When I say those, I'm thinking of Canadian ones which were faltering back then and are immensely successful and among the leaders now, much of which has been affected by the over- 20-percent increase in the value of the Canadian dollar.

I guess, in a sense, being a protector of the small markets is important. . . . You are the steward of the game in total as opposed to just your interests. Some people refer to it as being league-centric as [opposed] to being team-centric.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/spor...of_the_board_singing_a_small-market_tune.html

Question: Harley Hotchkiss was the face of the small-market franchises during his reign with the governors. You will be their protector as well?

Answer: Most small franchises are pretty darn successful right now. When I say those, I'm thinking of Canadian ones which were faltering back then and are immensely successful and among the leaders now, much of which has been affected by the over- 20-percent increase in the value of the Canadian dollar.

I guess, in a sense, being a protector of the small markets is important. . . . You are the steward of the game in total as opposed to just your interests. Some people refer to it as being league-centric as [opposed] to being team-centric.

It will be very interesting to see if the big market teams allow Bettman the same latitude the next go-around fr a new CBA. The last negoatiation pretty well precluded the big market teams from having any say in the outcome (i.e. big market teams wanted a luxury tax BOT a hard cap).

Perhaps the appointment of Jacobs tp replace Hotchkiss was the first step in this process.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It will be very interesting to see if the big market teams allow Bettman the same latitude the next go-around fr a new CBA. The last negoatiation pretty well precluded the big market teams from having any say in the outcome (i.e. big market teams wanted a luxury tax BOT a hard cap).

Perhaps the appointment of Jacobs tp replace Hotchkiss was the first step in this process.

No so sure of that Jacobs has the mindset of an owner in Carolina or Calgary and not Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->