Confirmed with Link: Jensen Resigned 2 years

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'm still confused as to why it took so long for him to get his chance...

For two straight preseasons, what - like 2 and 3 years ago, Jensen was our best young defencemen. I know for a fact that I wasn't the only one on here who thought that either. Yet he never got a chance.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
I think it's quite funny that Jensen will sign for 800k while Holland is trying his hardest to give Smith 3.5m+, thought for sure he would try to get at least 1m, but Holland does love to low ball the newbies and overpay the vets.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think it's quite funny that Jensen will sign for 800k while Holland is trying his hardest to give Smith 3.5m+, thought for sure he would try to get at least 1m, but Holland does love to low ball the newbies and overpay the vets.

I mean he is a 26 year old with only 27 career NHL games and all of them this year,I imagine he's happy to take what he can get at this point

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

For two straight preseasons, what - like 2 and 3 years ago, Jensen was our best young defencemen. I know for a fact that I wasn't the only one on here who thought that either. Yet he never got a chance.

He was always considered a low-ceiling player. He didn't make a professional hockey impact until he was 24. Hell, he didn't make a professional squad until he was at the age where you want most of your D prospects to be pushing for the NHL. It was always about whether his experience would bring about a decent improvement in his hockey IQ which then, combined with his skating, would produce a capable NHL player.

It pretty much looks like we're seeing that now. People forget that Jensen is decently "old" and that this deal will be for his 27 and 28 year-old seasons. And they also lose sight of the fact that he's an NHL player making very rookie-like mistakes despite all of his professional experience and biological maturity.

At best, he's like a current MDZ or a post-prime JML (or am I thinking of Leopold?). That's not exactly a player we would be cheering on if his deal weren't for a pittance.

Probert

Feb 27, 2008
Boston, MA
Nick has been up against this his entire career.

He does almost everything right but most importantly he has the ability no other D on the team does right now. He creates space with his skating. He keeps getting better each game too. Good signing.

This. He's been improving steadily, unlike some of our other young D men.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
At best, he's like a current MDZ or a post-prime JML (or am I thinking of Leopold?). That's not exactly a player we would be cheering on if his deal weren't for a pittance.

Jensen's game is not similar to MDZ or Lilles.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

There's been very little in the way of prospect development in Detroit. It's mostly holding guys back until they need to face waivers and then put them in the press box. Jensen fits this development model perfectly. Tatar was exactly the same and he nearly hit 30 goals in a season! Same thing happened with Jimmy Howard.

The exceptions are guys like Larkin who make the team shortly after being drafted. Otherwise there needs to be an injury in order for you to get any chance. That was the case with Filppula, Nyquist, Ouellet. In those cases you are typically sent down as soon as possible.

There's absolutely nothing about Detroit's prospect development over the past 15 or so years that makes you feel confident this organization will be able to rebuild through the draft. Our only real hope is we draft so high in the first round that we are pretty much assured of a very good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->