Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers could have cut deeper into their roster at the deadline, and came close to a few other trades that could materialize in the offseason. "When you make a statement like everyone is available, you're seeing what you can get for players and how that fits in to what you're doing when you're rebuilding. I think we have a really good grasp now on the value of our players around the league," said Gorton.

Hey, there it is: The 'R word.' In their letter to the fans, the Rangers used the word "reshape." Now, Gorton's saying "rebuild," a term that carries significant connotation. So which is it?

"Yeah ... well. Reshape, rebuild ... I'm not sure how I'd best describe it," said Gorton. "We're doing things that are changing the core of our team. We're going younger. I don't know how to describe it. I know the word 'rebuild' makes people think it's a 10-year process. But this is the new NHL. Young players are en vogue. They're coming into our game and doing things at an earlier rate that they've normally done. This doesn't have to be a forever process."

I feel like crying reading Jeffy’s comments. Tears of joy.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think ppl need some realistic expectations...3 years isn't the time till we compete for the cup...3 years is the time before we compete for a playoff spot...and that's if a LOT goes right.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I think ppl need some realistic expectations...3 years isn't the time till we compete for the cup...3 years is the time before we compete for a playoff spot...and that's if a LOT goes right.
Honestly it depends on the coach. If we get a good player development guy we'll be back within 2 years. SCF is not a matter of when it's a matter of "IF", "IF" we get talent that develops into top NHL caliber players, "IF" they have good team chemistry, ...

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You know what would be very Ranger-like? That this rebuild goes well, we are back contending in a couple of years, and a 40 year old Lundqvist shits the bed in the playoffs. Thats what its like as a Ranger fan.

Reactions: RGY

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You know what would be very Ranger-like? That this rebuild goes well, we are back contending in a couple of years, and a 40 year old Lundqvist ****s the bed in the playoffs. Thats what like is like as a Ranger fan.

If the rebuild goes well, your starting goalie is Shestyorkin by that point.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I’d say definitely Zucc. I really don’t understand the point in turning over 90% of the roster, but hey, I’m not a GM. I guess it all depends on value returned

I think a lot of it is contracts.

Zucc has a year left after this season.

Zibanejad has a NMC that kicks in after next season.

Kreider has two years left.

Hayes would require buying some UFA years.

As a team, they have to decide what they are willing to commit to --- how much, and for how long.

I don't think this is simple as "I like this guy" or "I don't like this guy."

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think a lot of it is contracts.

Zucc has a year left after this season.

Zibanejad has a NMC that kicks in after next season.

Kreider has two years left.

Hayes would require buying some UFA years.

As a team, they have to decide what they are willing to commit to --- how much, and for how long.

I don't think this is simple as "I like this guy" or "I don't like this guy."
Zucc and Hayes I would completely understand moving. It’s Mika and Kreider that I’m kinda puzzled about potential trades. Do you take away the two guys who our projected top line RW of the future has insane chemistry with?

They’re not character guys per se, but I’d be cool with turning Zucc and Hayes into some form of Sam Bennett, Galchenyuk, prospects, and picks. Gives you a gritty character guy that probably fares better in the Eastern Conference and a kid in Galchenyuk with amazing speed and skill

Reactions: jas

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Zucc and Hayes I would completely understand moving. It’s Mika and Kreider that I’m kinda puzzled about potential trades. Do you take away the two guys who our projected top line RW of the future has insane chemistry with?

They’re not character guys per se, but I’d be cool with turning Zucc and Hayes into some form of Sam Bennett, Galchenyuk, prospects, and picks. Gives you a gritty character guy that probably fares better in the Eastern Conference and a kid in Galchenyuk with amazing speed and skill

I don't take anything away. I just wonder how the Rangers approach it. Z with his NMC and Kreider to a longer term deal at 29.

I'm not actually advocating for trading anyone. I just don't think it's as far-fetched or appalling of a concept to the Rangers as it is to some posters.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I don't take anything away. I just wonder how the Rangers approach it. Z with his NMC and Kreider to a longer term deal at 29.

I'm not actually advocating for trading anyone. I just don't think it's as far-fetched or appalling of a concept to the Rangers as it is to some posters.
I should’ve clarified, I didn’t mean you specifically. It was more of a rhetorical question about trading two guys that have great chemistry with Buch

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

I think this is completely ignorant of NHL parity post-lockout. If the Rangers aren't even competing for a playoff spot in 3 years, something has gone terribly wrong

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This is precisely why I do hope that we can move Hank at some point. Give him a shot at a Cup and move on with the full rebuild. If the roster sucks next year, I don't really see what purpose he serves.

Nostalgia, perhaps.

I do reside hope that Gorton will take old yeller out to pasture when it's time. Then again, this is also an organization thats infinitely capable of propping up the Swedish legend vs. the Russian kid

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
This is precisely why I do hope that we can move Hank at some point. Give him a shot at a Cup and move on with the full rebuild. If the roster sucks next year, I don't really see what purpose he serves.

If, like you and I have brought up a number of times, he can reconcile himself to the direction of the team and behave accordingly, then his leadership in the room is quite valuable. I think if he wins a cup in NY it's going to be in a tandem role a la Fleury and Murray last year.

That being said, I have a hard time seeing it go down that way. I of course want Hank to win here, and I know he does too, but if his game starts to fade and he realizes his opportunity is slipping away then I could absolutely see him going the way of Ray Bourque.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas

Well the way I see it. Are they going to still be top line players 2 to 3 years from now? I feel like the magic age for Gorton is 23. That doesn't mean they will be traded but it does make some sort of sense to look around for the best available package.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Gorts wants a winning culture with players that give 100% all the time. So we need to ask ourselves. Is Kreider that player? Is Mika?... We can look at Miller as an example of how Gorts feels about players who Half-Ass it.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Nostalgia, perhaps.

I do reside hope that Gorton will take old yeller out to pasture when it's time. Then again, this is also an organization thats infinitely capable of propping up the Swedish legend vs. the Russian kid

Not sure how. Gorton’s predecessor made it pretty touchy to move him if doesn’t want to be moved...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Two down years (this year and next). Bubble team in 2019-2020. 2020-2021, on the cusp...if they do this right.

I would say that's a reasonable and realistic time frame.

It's not going to be 5 or 6 years of horror, but it's not going to be a 12 month turnaround either.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The Rangers could have cut deeper into their roster at the deadline, and came close to a few other trades that could materialize in the offseason. "When you make a statement like everyone is available, you're seeing what you can get for players and how that fits in to what you're doing when you're rebuilding. I think we have a really good grasp now on the value of our players around the league," said Gorton.

Hey, there it is: The 'R word.' In their letter to the fans, the Rangers used the word "reshape." Now, Gorton's saying "rebuild," a term that carries significant connotation. So which is it?

"Yeah ... well. Reshape, rebuild ... I'm not sure how I'd best describe it," said Gorton. "We're doing things that are changing the core of our team. We're going younger. I don't know how to describe it. I know the word 'rebuild' makes people think it's a 10-year process. But this is the new NHL. Young players are en vogue. They're coming into our game and doing things at an earlier rate that they've normally done. This doesn't have to be a forever process."

I feel like crying reading Jeffy’s comments. Tears of joy.

The Zuccettes just sharded themselves after reading this.

But for real, I wonder what those other "almost" deals were. Couldn't have been just Zucc.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
The Zuccettes just sharded themselves after reading this.

But for real, I wonder what those other "almost" deals were. Couldn't have been just Zucc.
Have a feeling Hayes, Krider, and Zuc were prob all up there and wont be surprised if they're dealt in the summer

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
In 2021, Andersson hands the Cup to Lundqvist (even though he is back-up to Shestyorkin).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad