Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Clap it up for Gorton, this team is significantly worse under his watch. Over the last few years we have some bad games but nothing like this. Nothing. This is brutal. And he is sitting in the press box doing nothing

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Clap it up for Gorton, this team is significantly worse under his watch. Over the last few years we have some bad games but nothing like this. Nothing. This is brutal. And he is sitting in the press box doing nothing

At least Sather would chomp on a cigar. That takes work.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

He hasn't been GM long enough to call this "his" team. The players are relatively the same. They are getting worse. He wasn't going to trade Staal and Girardi and co this off-season. Probably figured we could get another run in with them. Now, obviously that's not happening. So hopefully we'll see some of his true colors come out after this winter break.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Im not the one making a million dollars, or whatever he is making, to figure these things out...but HE should.
We'll just have to wait patiently for him to activate his trap card that grants the team +2(million) cap space I guess

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

What would you like him to do exactly? You know, besides trade the guy(s) that his predecessor gave NMC's.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think its time to seriously consider dismantling the team and starting over.

Yes I'm dead serious.

Every team has its time when they need to realize its not going to work anymore for whatever reason. This season the team looks utterly incapable of playing hockey as is...i dont see this as a quick fix...this looks really bad.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
we've had a bad stretch a for the most part, a lot of our wins this season have been largely due to goaltending rather than defense or scoring. That said, we're still 4th in the conference, 8th in the league. A lot of players have not been playing up to expectations this year. It's not so easy to say "all we need to do is have our players step up" but that is what it would take to have this team turn things around. They are capable of it but man, things could use a shake up.

I also hate that Girardi still has 1.5 seasons left on his NMC.
Is there anyway to get Hagelin back and have Anaheim retain salary? I always felt like we played better with him in the lineup.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Gorton has been running this team further back then when he named GM.. he just didn't have full final say like he does now. He was part of the brain trust that got us into this crappy cap situation

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Yes I'm dead serious.

Every team has its time when they need to realize its not going to work anymore for whatever reason. This season the team looks utterly incapable of playing hockey as is...i dont see this as a quick fix...this looks really bad.

I guess we'll see how things go once they're healthy, but I'm not confident in this team anymore. That's for sure. Depending on how the rest of this year plays out, there will probably be a few big moves of key players in the off-season.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This team reminds me of the lockout Canucks.

Not good...

I said it in the game day thread...

With the nucks, AV got to a Stanley Cup Final, and the a Presidents Trophy the following season...

He never won another playoff series with the nucks

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

Yes I'm dead serious.

I agree with you. I think we are rapidly approaching that moment if they can't right the ship themselves in a month.

For me this goes back to game 7 against Tampa walking out of MSG feeling in my gut that this was the end of the road for this group. They have played a lot of hockey the past 10 years, some of which the most brutal of fashion the past 5 and a lot of games as well. We got close a couple of times but couldn't seal the deal. It happens all the time.

This team reminds me of the lockout Canucks.

Not good...

I agree with you as well. I think this and my a fore mentioned comment was in the back of a lot of peoples heads. History has shown when AV's system breaks down and he losses a team he really losses them. There is no short term fire AV and hire a new guy type fix either. If AV goes this is a rebuild.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
I'm willing to let AV slide here and I feel this team will turn itself around and stabilize the atrocious D pairings once Klein gets back. Summers joins the Kostka department, never want to see that scrub again.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I agree with you. I think we are rapidly approaching that moment if they can't right the ship themselves in a month.

For me this goes back to game 7 against Tampa walking out of MSG feeling in my gut that this was the end of the road for this group. They have played a lot of hockey the past 10 years, some of which the most brutal of fashion the past 5 and a lot of games as well. We got close a couple of times but couldn't seal the deal. It happens all the time.

I agree with you as well. I think this and my a fore mentioned comment was in the back of a lot of peoples heads. History has shown when AV's system breaks down and he losses a team he really losses them. There is no short term fire AV and hire a new guy type fix either. If AV goes this is a rebuild.

I mean, if that's the case, who are we identifying as the core?

Hank is 34... does he survive a rebuild?

Who is identified as the core? I'd start with:

Kreider, Stepan, Brassard, Etem, Miller, Hayes, Zucc...

McDonagh, McIlrath, Skjei, Yandle...

Lundqvist
Hellberg

I'm really not sure... I think this team could get away with a retooling at this point because these guys mentioned above aren't very old and haven't entered their primes yet... more importantly, we already HAVE these guys--we don't have to go out and acquire them. Missing the playoffs this year gets us a 1st round pick which might go a long way in accelerating the rebuild. That said, the rangers would need to be SELLERS at the deadline, and the following guys would need to be sold off:

Nash, Staal, Girardi, Boyle, Moore, Stalberg, Glass, Raanta

Unloading those guys for futures during this season allows us to stack up on the upcoming draft, which then allows us to retool on the fly... I say at the deadline because some of these guys are on 1 year deals--Boyle, Stalberg, Raanta, and Moore specifically... some of the others are short term deals, which makes them VERY easy to move (specifically Nash and Glass). Staal and Girardi are the toughest to move, but like I said in the trade thread, going for a player-for-player trade to simply swap salary would be the way to go.

We have a core who is generally speaking very young--Brassard, Yandle, and Hank are the oldest of that croud.

Here's the other thing... If we pursue a retool, does AV stay or go?

Regardless, we'd have to throw this season away, and considering the 1st round pick is lottery protected, this is the year to do it if we pursue a retool.

Last edited:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I mean, if that's the case, who are we identifying as the core?

Hank is 34... does he survive a rebuild?

Who is identified as the core? I'd start with:

Kreider, Stepan, Brassard, Etem, Miller, Hayes...

McDonagh, McIlrath, Skjei, Yandle...

Lundqvist
Hellberg

I'm really not sure... I think this team could get away with a retooling at this point because these guys mentioned above aren't very old and haven't entered their primes yet... more importantly, we already HAVE these guys--we don't have to go out and acquire them. Missing the playoffs this year gets us a 1st round pick which might go a long way in accelerating the rebuild. That said, the rangers would need to be SELLERS at the deadline, and the following guys would need to be sold off:

Nash, Staal, Girardi, Boyle, Moore, Stalberg, Glass, Raanta

Unloading those guys for futures during this season allows us to stack up on the upcoming draft, which then allows us to retool on the fly... I say at the deadline because some of these guys are on 1 year deals--Boyle, Stalberg, Raanta, and Moore specifically... some of the others are short term deals, which makes them VERY easy to move (specifically Nash and Glass). Staal and Girardi are the toughest to move, but like I said in the trade thread, going for a player-for-player trade to simply swap salary would be the way to go.

We have a core who is generally speaking very young--Brassard, Yandle, and Hank are the oldest of that croud.

Here's the other thing... If we pursue a retool, does AV stay or go?

Regardless, we'd have to throw this season away, and considering the 1st round pick is lottery protected, this is the year to do it if we pursue a retool.

No Zuccarello and Kreider and Hayes in the forward core? Puke.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Didn't one GM recently says it's impossible to make even a bad trade right now? I can't and don't expect Gorton to do much with the ****** situation we're in. It's going to be up to these players to pull their heads out of their own *****.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
What is the GM supposed to do?

If he can trade Girardi, then great.

But I don't believe a magic trade is going to turn this around.

Maybe he can get a coach who deploys his players better.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Let's stop with the Sather blame game. Gorton and Sather were lock stepped in every move Sather made 5 years before Gorton took over. Gorton is in as deep as Sather is as far as i am concerned.
Gorton was not GM & President. Sather was. You cannot infer and try to smooth blame over several people.

To me, the salary cap situation is placed at Sather's feet. As does the roster construction. Well, the latter at AV's and Sather's feet as well. We'll find out what Gorton can do to dig his way out of the hole.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Do you dismantle a team that went to the SCF and followed up with the president's trophy 3rd round game 7?

As constructed this team stands and falls on goaltending which to me is the heart of the problem.

Not a knock on Hank, but he's never had the scoring support.

Hank can't be the sole identity of this team and the reason they win.

Nash carried the offense last year and he is hurting them now.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Gorton was not GM & President. Sather was. You cannot infer and try to smooth blame over several people.

To me, the salary cap situation is placed at Sather's feet. As does the roster construction. Well, the latter at AV's and Sather's feet as well. We'll find out what Gorton can do to dig his way out of the hole.

Thats not even a debate as far as Im concerned. The old man did everything he did the last 4 years to go out on top with a cup. It didn't work out. Gorton is forced to clean up the mess. A mess with little to no assets or cap room.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

This is hit-the-nail-on-the-head correct. I don't know what can be done other than a coaching change to shake this team up. And I am not saying I want AV fired..just trying to figure out what can be done; what the team's options are, which isn't much.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Not really sure how this is a surprise. The team has played a ton of hockey over the past 4 seasons (almost an additional regular season's worth). There is little cap space and they have returned to the m.o. of trading first round picks and young talent for vets.

Gorton came into a mix bag: yes he inherited a team that had been Cup contender, but he also inherited an organization that has little flexibiity.

ThatsNashty61*

What is the GM supposed to do?

If he can trade Girardi, then great.

But I don't believe a magic trade is going to turn this around.

Maybe he can get a coach who deploys his players better.

Girardi still has game left in him. Staal is done. if they can unload Staal at the deadline to a bubble team with cap room, he goes for a 3rd and it is addition by subtraction. Other than that the defensive system needs to be adjusted since our forwards can't seem to stay low long enough and the man to man is just not leading to enough quick breakouts. It will get better; and Hank needs to start playing better. His ****** play is a big part of the bad results lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->