Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers: What happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Here was a guy that HF's listed as a "possible franchise goaltender"
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7093
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7426

Now he is 5th on the Oilers prospect chart and just listed as a "starting goaltender"
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7947

Even just one year ago he was #40 in the top prospects on this website.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/top50.php?d=08_2005

So why the fall from grace just 12 months later? Inquiring minds want to know.

Civil debate only please, I'd like to know why the much heralded JDD hasn't looked so hot lately.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He started twice with Hamilton this season.
Olivier Michaud started 8 games
and Yann Danis started thrice.

Hamilton is Habs-affiliate.
But there's a huge problem when the Head Coach prefers to start Olivier Michaud...

Michaud is not having great stats so far. Maybe Don Lever will start starting JDD later in the season?!?!

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Partly because the Oiler management has treated him like crap IMO. They didn't play him last year because they wanted the Runners to win (that went real well)... they aren't playing him this ar because the Oilers somehow got into a position without an AHL affiliate, so he isn't playing in Hamilton.

As an aside - I think it genuinly is hard to predict where goalies will end up... I can't think of any outside of maybe Fleury that are sure bets to be starters and that aren't in the NHL now.

se7en*

Haha, I see what's going on here...

Reportedly his agent is furious that he's not getting much ice time in Hamilton. Which is purely Montreal's decision. The question is; why? Did he look bad in the two games he started, or are they simply putting their goalie development ahead of ours?

I wonder how he'd have fared if it was him who got called up instead of Morrison.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I saw one of Deslauriers' games this year, and he looked pretty good. Generally not much different than Michaud, who played very well in several games to get the nod as the #1, before having a few lesser games. Generally speaking, if those were Hamilton's two goalies, I could see them getting a 50/50 split over the season, given that it's Michaud's third year pro, and it's something of a make-or-break season for him in the Habs organization... management needs to make a decision on him this year, because there is getting to be quite a long lineup behind him (Halak, perhaps Lacasse, Lindberg, Price eventually).

However, the prospects for Deslauriers playing won't get any better now that Michaud is back to the ECHL, because there will be no 50/50 split when Danis comes back down for good with Huet back. Danis should be the full-time #1, and Deslauriers will probably be lucky to get spot duty as a full-time backup. If that happens, the Oilers might want to think about finding another home for Deslauriers. Both organisations would be happier with that, because then we could bring Michaud back as Danis' backup, and get Halak playing in Long Beach again when he's healthy.

Boo to Edmonton management for getting us all into this mess in the first place. ;)

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Blind Gardien said:
I saw one of Deslauriers' games this year, and he looked pretty good. Generally not much different than Michaud, who played very well in several games to get the nod as the #1, before having a few lesser games. Generally speaking, if those were Hamilton's two goalies, I could see them getting a 50/50 split over the season, given that it's Michaud's third year pro, and it's something of a make-or-break season for him in the Habs organization... management needs to make a decision on him this year, because there is getting to be quite a long lineup behind him (Halak, perhaps Lacasse, Lindberg, Price eventually).

However, the prospects for Deslauriers playing won't get any better now that Michaud is back to the ECHL, because there will be no 50/50 split when Danis comes back down for good with Huet back. Danis should be the full-time #1, and Deslauriers will probably be lucky to get spot duty as a full-time backup. If that happens, the Oilers might want to think about finding another home for Deslauriers. Both organisations would be happier with that, because then we could bring Michaud back as Danis' backup, and get Halak playing in Long Beach again when he's healthy.

Boo to Edmonton management for getting us all into this mess in the first place. ;)

Yeah - you can't blame the Habs at all for not starting JDD.

I'm surprised the Oilers didn't at least negotiate a number of starts... or maybe they did, but used them on Conklin :dunno: Either way... definately a poor situation. Again, I've been less than impressed with how the Oilers have treated JDD and Morrison the last 2 years.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
It turned out alright for Morrison ;)
Right now, I'd prefer to have JDD be sent down to the ECHL than get a start every few weeks or so in the AHL. Either that or the Bulldogs trade JDD to a team who needs some goaltending (can they do that, or do the Oilers make the decision to reassign him to another team?)

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
USC Trojans said:
It turned out alright for Morrison ;)
Right now, I'd prefer to have JDD be sent down to the ECHL than get a start every few weeks or so in the AHL. Either that or the Bulldogs trade JDD to a team who needs some goaltending (can they do that, or do the Oilers make the decision to reassign him to another team?)

Well didn't Bouwmeester and Horton get traded last year? or reassigned? On loan I guess.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
So a Flames fan starts a thread about an underperforming Oiler prospect. Let me give a general warning before anything gets out of hand.

Any Flames vs. Oilers bashing or vice versa will be dealt with quickly.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well, Oilers forwards get ice time in Hamilton, so it has to do with Michaud status.

But once Danis comes back the "Habs coach" probably won't be an excuse anymore as you would have, clearly, a 1st(Danis) and a 2nd goalie (JDD or Michaud) in Hamilton.

BTW, Michaud's stats are nothing to write home about...

Transported Upstater

Edmonton may have given Oilers fans an AHL team in Edmonton during the lockout, but they are paying for it now.

I have never been a fan of shared affiliates. It especially hurts goaltenders.

My personal recommendation for any NHL team is to secure your own AHL and ECHL teams. Shell out a ton of money on the best scouting staff you possibly can. Listen to the scouting staff. Build through the draft. As for free agency, I believe that you shouldn't sign other team's players until you have all your "meal tickets" under contract. Stability and team unity win games in the NHL. Blockbuster free-agency signings are nice, but they should be limited. And be patient.

But I'm probably wrong. That does seem to be my thing these days, unfortunately... :(

mackdogs*

MrMastodonFarm said:
Civil debate only please, I'd like to know why the much heralded JDD hasn't looked so hot lately.
Try doing some research on the subject if you want a civil debate. Perhaps you've heard that the Oilers don't have an AHL affiliate this year. Probably not because it's not Flames news but it's the truth. There's a big clue. Try google.com that will also help.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
JDD was a highly touted goaltender who was identified as having significant upside coming out of junior. He performed well in junior and more than deserved the expectations made of him.

But he has had a combination of bad organizational luck as well as he simply hasn't played well. JDD was not good at the Oilers training camp. Guy Flaming identified that and said it was disconcerting that, despite his poor play, JDD felt he had a good camp.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Holly Gunning said:
Edmonton should try to get him assigned to the Chicago Wolves for part of the season. They need help in a bad way because of Atlanta's woes.

I would love for the Oilers to loan him to another team like they did for Dicasmirro. if I were JDD's agent, I'd be livid too :shakehead :rant: :madfire:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Matt MacInnis said:
JDD was not good at the Oilers training camp. Guy Flaming identified that and said it was disconcerting that, despite his poor play, JDD felt he had a good camp.

Yeah, that wasn't exactly good news, but the bottom line is that he needs to play more to develop.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
MXD said:
Well, Oilers forwards get ice time in Hamilton, so it has to do with Michaud status.
Michaud is capable of playing as well as Deslauriers as an AHL goaltender right now. I think he showed that to the coaching staff. Stats aside, my impression is that they have both played well enough that you could flip a coin between them, picking objectively.

Therefore, it's fair enough for the Habs to give their guy the nod, all things being equal. But they aren't going to follow a favouritism policy foolishly. When Conklin was down, he played. He was an NHL goalie, and they want their players to win. Ditto on D, Roy and Smith have played games with Archer or other Habs properties sitting, because they are better players. (In contrast to Syvret, who didn't show conclusively that he was better).

Meanwhile, up front, Jacques has arguably been the team's best forward, and Pouliot and Winchester are clearly deserving of spots on the top-2 lines, ahead of many of the Habs own prospects, and they got those spots.

So it's not pure favouritism (even though the Habs couldn't be faulted if it was)... I'm sure if Deslauriers had really grabbed the chance by the throat and forced the issue decisively (and that would have to include practise and other non-game impressions he's made on the staff), he would have gotten the nod as #1.

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Blind Gardien said:
So it's not pure favouritism (even though the Habs couldn't be faulted if it was)... I'm sure if Deslauriers had really grabbed the chance by the throat and forced the issue decisively (and that would have to include practise and other non-game impressions he's made on the staff), he would have gotten the nod as #1.

The situation with JDD can only be blamed on bad management by the Oilers organization, but I do agree that had JDD had shutouts (albeit only two starts) he would be forcing the Hamilton's coaching staff to play him.... It a tall order though, I'm not sure even a guy like Lehtonen would be able to deliver in such a short span.

GXL

Transported Upstater

Patrick said:
This happens in every shared affiliate. I jumped for joy when the Lightning were able to get away from the Coyotes and Marty McSorley.

One of the best things to ever happen to the Lightning IMO.

se7en*

TransportedUpstater said:
Edmonton may have given Oilers fans an AHL team in Edmonton during the lockout, but they are paying for it now.

I have never been a fan of shared affiliates. It especially hurts goaltenders.

My personal recommendation for any NHL team is to secure your own AHL and ECHL teams. Shell out a ton of money on the best scouting staff you possibly can. Listen to the scouting staff. Build through the draft. As for free agency, I believe that you shouldn't sign other team's players until you have all your "meal tickets" under contract. Stability and team unity win games in the NHL. Blockbuster free-agency signings are nice, but they should be limited. And be patient.

But I'm probably wrong. That does seem to be my thing these days, unfortunately... :(

I couldn't agree with you more! :clap:

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Thanks for the updates guys. And thanks for the warning Slats, even though I stated right off the bat I wanted to keep it cival. :propeller

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I have never been a fan of Deslauriers.(Much to the chagrin of my fellow posters on the Oilers board...and I even disagreed with Guy early on who was more optimistic about the prognosis for JDD.)

The chatter about "Plays on a poor team." I knew was horse pucky a couple years ago when his back up's numbers on Chicoutimi were better than his.

Then I thought Dubnyk outplayed him at Devan's first camp.

Needless to say that the Oilers took their shot at the Quebec butterfly goalie pipeline and seemingly hit dirt.

It isn't over for JDD, but personally, I am not that optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad