Jeff Carter's upside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
When the Flyers selected Carter at 11, there was a lot of criticism. I'm wondering after people have had the chance to watch Jeff play in the WJC, have people's opinions changed? What do you think his upside at the NHL level is? Could he be a Mats Sundin player or do people still see his upside as a real solid #2 center and a slight reach at #11 overall? I'm asking because i've only been able to see 1 game and I'm wondering what the last few games have told people about him, if anything.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
My opinion has not changed since before the draft: this guy was IMO one of the top 10 best players available in 2003.

He's awesome, big guy who uses his range well in the offensive zone, very smooth and skilled. Lots of upside and should be a good NHLer.

2003 was a very good draft for Philly.

Jeff Shafer

Established: 1987
He's huge good good player drafted by the Flyers, even though I hate the Flyers I give Bobby Clarke credit he pick a good one. Carter might turn out to be a JR type player, also lets not froget Mike Richards he's going to be a great player as well.

GOHL

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Im interested to read your opinion on Mike Richards. With who in the NHL would you compare him ? And how many points could he get in his best year ?
THank

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
yeah, it would be great if Carter ended up as good as Thorton but from everything I have read he isn't very physical for his size as is Thorton. other than physical play, he has every other intangible to be a great player in the NHL.

Richards has a good skill set but it will be his heart and drive that enable him to exceed his skill set.

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
GOHL said:
Im interested to read your opinion on Mike Richards. With who in the NHL would you compare him ? And how many points could he get in his best year ?
THank
from what I've read he's been compared to Mike Ricci with more offensive upside or Doug Gilmour.

leafaholix*

Having seen Mats Sundin play over the last 8 or 9 years, Jeff Carter looks like a replica of Mats. Aside from the obvious size differencial and the fact that Carter will need to put on some size, I think that skill wise, he's very similar to Sundin.

Smooth, long reach... all the good stuff.

IMO, potential: #1 centre... perrenial all-star.

leafaholix*

Oh... and Mike Richards has constantely been compared to Bobby Clarke throughout the tournament. I haven't seen Clarke play, but I take it's a good thing.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Gags1288 said:
When the Flyers selected Carter at 11, there was a lot of criticism. I'm wondering after people have had the chance to watch Jeff play in the WJC, have people's opinions changed? What do you think his upside at the NHL level is? Could he be a Mats Sundin player or do people still see his upside as a real solid #2 center and a slight reach at #11 overall? I'm asking because i've only been able to see 1 game and I'm wondering what the last few games have told people about him, if anything.
'

Even if he really only becomes a very solid #2 center...how would that be a reach of any kind? Considering what a crapshoot the NHL draft it, I'd say the Flyers will have a done real well to find a 2nd line player who can be a pivotal player from them for a decade or so with a #11 overall pick. Thats not to say he won't become more (or less). I just think if you could guarantee a franchise a #2 NHL center with a #11 pick, especially one like the Flyers who are pretty darn good to begin with...they'd take that almost any day of the week.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
go pierre hedin said:
Having seen Mats Sundin play over the last 8 or 9 years, Jeff Carter looks like a replica of Mats. Aside from the obvious size differencial and the fact that Carter will need to put on some size, I think that skill wise, he's very similar to Sundin.

I much prefer that comparison to the Thornton one.

leafaholix*

Vlad The Impaler said:
I much prefer that comparison to the Thornton one.
Well, that's great.

I'm just saying that having seen Sundin play 500+ games... I see a lot of him in Jeff Carter. And apparentely so does Marty Abrams, his head coach in Sault Ste. Marie.

X-SHARKIE

A cross between Sundin and Thorton, slightly pushing towards Thorton is a good one. Either way you slice it, look at the company were comparing him with. I've been very impressed with Carters play this year, Him and Stewart look awesome at the WJC. I think the Flyers got a real good one in Carter, 1st line center isn't easy to find these days, expeacially drafting outside of the first 10, but Carter looks like a real treat.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
go pierre hedin said:
Well, that's great.

I'm just saying that having seen Sundin play 500+ games... I see a lot of him in Jeff Carter. And apparentely so does Marty Abrams, his head coach in Sault Ste. Marie.

Yeah, I agree with you. I've followed Mats Sundin very closely, particularly in the Nords year. The similarities are even more glaring because I can still imagine the very raw Sundin at his beginnings and when I look at Carter, I see some of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->