News Article: Jed Ortmeyer/Players Tribune

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Loved Jed Ortmeyer's game back in the day. Thanks for sharing the article bobbop!

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
hes an idiot.

but if youve never done something idiotic like he did, then youve never loved the game the way these guys do.

ive played through multiple concussions. yeah. im an idiot too.

with my daughter on the way ive considered stopping hockey altogether.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Great article.

Weird, I have no recollection of him missing half the 06-07 season.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Great article. Him and Tyutin are kind the forefathers of the youth movement and first generation of young players the Rangers had even before Prucha/Betts/Hollweg/etc.

I remember the game he came back in 06-07 against Boston back when the Bruins were really struggling. It was on VS and they had him mic'd up, and him and Tyutin were head banging to that awful POD song Youth Of A Nation during warmups I think he had 3 points that game.

Hockey players do some crazy things to play. Remember when Rem Murray had a neck issue and gave up his insurance just to play the 05-06 season? He got so close to a Cup.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
One of my all-time favorite Rangers (seriously). One of those guys who is in the league out of sheer will and heart. His jersey is the only authentic jersey I own (outside of a '91 Messier jersey I got on eBay for like $50), and I still wear it pretty often.

Great article, thanks for posting.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Jed Ortmeyer was one of the big reasons we turned this franchise around.

nobody really wants to admit it, but its true. we went from having a team full of guys looking to cash checks, to having guys like Moore, Orts, Betts, and even Hollweg, who would run through a brick wall if you asked them to.

Guys with guts, heart, effort..but lack skill....were the guys who started the movement into effort every game.

we had so many guys who just flat out didnt show up. Once these guys got here, it because a team of guys who played hard...and then the skilled kids who came up also played hard.

Hes a huge reason this ship turned around....and some guy name Jagr, and some kid named Lundqvist.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Never saw him take one shift off. He had tons of motor, tenacity, whatever one wants to call it.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Amazing read. Jed always gave it all on the ice, and this article made me realize the severity of what he went through. Awesome, inspiring stuff.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
"You gotta die somewhere, right?"

Manages to be both one of the dumbest and most bad ass things I have ever read.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Jed Ortmeyer was one of the big reasons we turned this franchise around.

nobody really wants to admit it, but its true. we went from having a team full of guys looking to cash checks, to having guys like Moore, Orts, Betts, and even Hollweg, who would run through a brick wall if you asked them to.

Guys with guts, heart, effort..but lack skill....were the guys who started the movement into effort every game.

we had so many guys who just flat out didnt show up. Once these guys got here, it because a team of guys who played hard...and then the skilled kids who came up also played hard.

Hes a huge reason this ship turned around....and some guy name Jagr, and some kid named Lundqvist.

One of my best memories as a Rangers fan in the first few games of the 05-06 season when they beat Philly on the road opening night, and then opening night at MSG vs. the Canadians. I went to a lot of games in 05-06 and 06-07 because tickets were cheap and even though the Rangers were good again, it took a while to catch on.

There was a shift early in the first period where the third and fourth line with guys like Ward, Moore, Betts, Ortmeyer cycled and pinned Montreal in their zone. They got a standing ovation and the crowd was sarcastically heckling like 'Who are these guys in Rangers uniforms, they're trying hard?" That was the moment when the dark ages officially began to end.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Jed remains one of my favorite players. I just loved him. Never took a shift off, always hustled, was one of the first kids to come through our system in what felt like forever. I still have the Lady Liberty jersey with Jed's name.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He was an easy guy to root for, like others have said his motor was insane. Those Rangers teams during his time were some of my favorites because there was such an honest effort out of them after years of "The Dark Ages" retirement community Rangers just sucking the life out of me as a fan.

I was lucky enough to live in San Antonio and catch many Rampage games when he was there as well, he played just as hard in the AHL. Great article and glad to read he's helping former athletes post career. Cheers Jed!

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
I respect the man even more than I already did. I've never seen another Ranger hustle harder than him, never.

Didn't he grow up next to a Canadiens legend?

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Didn't he grow up next to a Canadiens legend?

I vaguely remember something like this but it could have been another player - the closest thing I can find is his coach was Ed Bruneteau, but he's hardly a household name (181 NHL games).

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
My mother died from a pulmonary embolism in July 2005.

The only reason Jed survived it was because of the shape he was in.

Because of it, I always rooted hard for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad