JD: Blackburn close to playing in a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
NYRangers said:
John Davidson reported on MSG that Blackburns practices in Charlotte have gone well, and he should even be playing soon.

good news.

I felt bad for the Kid when I heard his career might be over. Great to see he may have recovered.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
what happened to him exactly? I heard it was something with his cathing arm. He's a great talanted young goalie who was rushed into the New York lineup way too early.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
eddiedaeagle20 said:
what happened to him exactly? I heard it was something with his cathing arm. He's a great talanted young goalie who was rushed into the New York lineup way too early.

To be fair to The Rangers, it didn't have anything to do with his playing time. He was lifting weights and he pinched a nerve (I believe in his shoulder, but feel free to correct me).

For some reason, it just never seemed to get better, and it looked like his career was over. This is the first time I've heard that he's close to playing. Definatly great news, as it would have been very sad for someone that young to lose their dream that way.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
eddiedaeagle20 said:

He was ready for the NHL when he was up. Not to be a top goalie, but he was solid as an 18 year old. His stats were even better than Fluery's.

It seems like Blackburn was rushed because they had absolutely NO defense at the time.

I believe the defense was...Leetch, Berard, Kloucek, Karpa, Purinton, Ulanov. Leetch was still good. But this isnt the Bryan Berard we know. He wasnt good offensively, only 23 points with NO defense. That defense had absolutely nobody lol. Looking back, its kind of embarrasing how bad it actually was.

That (rookie year) Blackburn had a .898 Save %. Not bad at all IMO.

Also, people have forgoten how Blackie got hurt. I've seen a lot of people say he was rushed and thats how he got hurt. Yet he got hurt lifting weights.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
It's my opinion that goalies should not be rushed. 18 is far too young for a goalie to be competing against men, even if he had a incredibly strong team in front of him. Goal is the hardest position in hockey to become proficiant at. I just think it would be in every young goalies interest to spend atleast one full season in the AHL to prove their worth, get the experience, then jump to the NHL. But their are always acceptions to the rule.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
NYRangers said:
He was ready for the NHL when he was up. Not to be a top goalie, but he was solid as an 18 year old. His stats were even better than Fluery's.
Fair enough, but he didn't play any where near as well as Fleury did, as a whole.

It's my opinion that goalies should not be rushed. 18 is far too young for a goalie to be competing against men, even if he had a incredibly strong team in front of him. Goal is the hardest position in hockey to become proficiant at. I just think it would be in every young goalies interest to spend atleast one full season in the AHL to prove their worth, get the experience, then jump to the NHL. But their are always acceptions to the rule.
That sure looks good on the stats sheet, but I don't think it has yet been proven that that is what's best for a goalie development-wise.

noodlemike

May 1, 2004
Honus Joglund said:
Does anyone have a picture of that second blocker?
why would he have to play with a second blocker...why cant he just switch and put the glove on the other hand?

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
noodlemike said:
why would he have to play with a second blocker...why cant he just switch and put the glove on the other hand?

I'm guessing if he can't use a glove he probably can't grip a stick either.

I wonder if he would be effective with no glove, or if teams will be willing to take a chance and find out.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
eddiedaeagle20 said:

I don´t belive its possible to rush a goalie "skill-wise".(well if he isn´t close its possible...) Especially young goalies can improve tremendously by playing against kids 5-6 older. However there is always a mental aspect. ..

AgentNaslund*

hes gonna recover, this is one adversity that will make him a great goalie one day.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
eddiedaeagle20 said:

That sounds good in theory but it doesn't always work like this.
Blackburn played Junior A as a 14 years old! :amazed: He was a starting goalie in Junior A at 15 and the number one guy for the Kootenay Ice in the WHL at 16. He led his team to the WHL Championship in his rookie season becoming the youngest Play-off MVP ever. He was the WHL and CHL Goaltender of the Year at 17. I don't he think he had much left to prove in Junior hockey. Since he was to young to play in the AHL, his options were either to play two more years in the WHL or to make the big jump.

Phanuthier*

Love to hear

I've been a huge Dan Blackburn fan since his days with Kootney, when as 16 and 17 year old, outplayed a Flame pick which I didn't like at the time in Brent Krahn.

Fatastic goalie, I was praying to death that the Flames would draft him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
blackburns mental game was always one of his assets as well...he was always said to be very strong mentally, which is one reason they played him in the NHL at a young age

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
noodlemike said:

ever try playing baseball with the glove on the wrong hand?
what you're proposing is basically trying to teach Blackburn how to be left handed, not an easy thing to do.

Currently he has a modified blocker that he wears on his former catching hand.

Sum

Nov 16, 2003
St Etienne, France
Visit site
Great news. I appreciate the player and I really felt bad for him with his injuries. He still has a long way to go though, physically and mentally, it won't be easy at all for him with the competition he already has. But I guess his return -if it's right- is already a win. I just hope we'll see him again on the ice very soon, he deserves it.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Levitate said:
blackburns mental game was always one of his assets as well...he was always said to be very strong mentally, which is one reason they played him in the NHL at a young age
And if anyone can overcome this nerve damage thing, it's definitely him.

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
Ola said:
I don´t belive its possible to rush a goalie "skill-wise".(well if he isn´t close its possible...) Especially young goalies can improve tremendously by playing against kids 5-6 older. However there is always a mental aspect. ..

Where he is very strong at...

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
eddiedaeagle20 said:

he was lifting weights back in july/august 2003 and pinched a nerve in his shoulder...the doctors recommended rest and time for it to heal and it never got better (he missed all of last season). finally in may they did surgery and went in and found scare tissue pinching 2 nerves. they removed the scare tissue from the 2 nerves, and the 1 nerve started firing almost immediately. he was able to start rehabbing trying to build up strength in his arm...but the 2nd nerve never responded and still isn't firing normally.

the nerve that isn't working controls the muscles that lets you raise your arm...so he's in the best shape of his life physically but he can't lift his glove hand (atleast not in a way required to play nhl hockey).

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
it'll be great to see him finally back on the ice, but i'm not holding my breath unless he gets full strength back in his arm. the 2 blocker thing is a last ditch effort and i just can't see him being able to play at the nhl level without a glove. he'll probably do well in the ECHL because his talent is way above that level, and he might even be able to handle the ahl, but the nhl is doubtful...especially if the rangers have a healthy al montoya and a healthy henrik lundqvist in front of him.

i wish him the best and hope to see him on broadway again, but i have the feeling that its only a matter of time before it just becomes a story of a kid with unlimited potential who had his career cut short by injuries...sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad