JD: Blackburn close to playing in a game

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by NYRangers, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYRangers

NYRangers Registered User

John Davidson reported on MSG that Blackburns practices in Charlotte have gone well, and he should even be playing soon.

2. McDonald19

McDonald19 Marcus Pettersson

Analyst
    good news.

I felt bad for the Kid when I heard his career might be over. Great to see he may have recovered.

3. LeafErikson

LeafErikson Schwifty 24/7

n/a
    what happened to him exactly? I heard it was something with his cathing arm. He's a great talanted young goalie who was rushed into the New York lineup way too early.

4. Habsfan 32

Habsfan 32 Registered User

Thats pretty cool. I realy like him and think that if his injuries heal good he might turn out to be what everybody expected him to be.

5. Blackjack

Blackjack Registered User

Home Page:
    To be fair to The Rangers, it didn't have anything to do with his playing time. He was lifting weights and he pinched a nerve (I believe in his shoulder, but feel free to correct me).

For some reason, it just never seemed to get better, and it looked like his career was over. This is the first time I've heard that he's close to playing. Definatly great news, as it would have been very sad for someone that young to lose their dream that way.

6. Kevin Forbes

Kevin Forbes Registered User

Home Page:
    The real question is whether he'll be playing with the two blockers...

7. NYRangers

NYRangers Registered User

He was ready for the NHL when he was up. Not to be a top goalie, but he was solid as an 18 year old. His stats were even better than Fluery's.

It seems like Blackburn was rushed because they had absolutely NO defense at the time.

I believe the defense was...Leetch, Berard, Kloucek, Karpa, Purinton, Ulanov. Leetch was still good. But this isnt the Bryan Berard we know. He wasnt good offensively, only 23 points with NO defense. That defense had absolutely nobody lol. Looking back, its kind of embarrasing how bad it actually was.

That (rookie year) Blackburn had a .898 Save %. Not bad at all IMO.

Also, people have forgoten how Blackie got hurt. I've seen a lot of people say he was rushed and thats how he got hurt. Yet he got hurt lifting weights.

8. LeafErikson

LeafErikson Schwifty 24/7

n/a
    It's my opinion that goalies should not be rushed. 18 is far too young for a goalie to be competing against men, even if he had a incredibly strong team in front of him. Goal is the hardest position in hockey to become proficiant at. I just think it would be in every young goalies interest to spend atleast one full season in the AHL to prove their worth, get the experience, then jump to the NHL. But their are always acceptions to the rule.

9. Sebastien Centomo

Sebastien Centomo Registered User

Home Page:
    Does anyone have a picture of that second blocker?

10. Jacob

Jacob Registered User

Home Page:
    Fair enough, but he didn't play any where near as well as Fleury did, as a whole.

That sure looks good on the stats sheet, but I don't think it has yet been proven that that is what's best for a goalie development-wise.

11. noodlemike

noodlemike Registered User

why would he have to play with a second blocker...why cant he just switch and put the glove on the other hand?

12. Greg7

Greg7 Registered User

I'm guessing if he can't use a glove he probably can't grip a stick either.

I wonder if he would be effective with no glove, or if teams will be willing to take a chance and find out.

13. Ola

Ola Registered User

Lawyer
    I don´t belive its possible to rush a goalie "skill-wise".(well if he isn´t close its possible...) Especially young goalies can improve tremendously by playing against kids 5-6 older. However there is always a mental aspect. ..

14. hes gonna recover, this is one adversity that will make him a great goalie one day.

15. Alter Haudegen

Alter Haudegen Registered User

That sounds good in theory but it doesn't always work like this.
    Blackburn played Junior A as a 14 years old! :amazed: He was a starting goalie in Junior A at 15 and the number one guy for the Kootenay Ice in the WHL at 16. He led his team to the WHL Championship in his rookie season becoming the youngest Play-off MVP ever. He was the WHL and CHL Goaltender of the Year at 17. I don't he think he had much left to prove in Junior hockey. Since he was to young to play in the AHL, his options were either to play two more years in the WHL or to make the big jump.

16. Phanuthier*

Phanuthier* Guest

Love to hear

I've been a huge Dan Blackburn fan since his days with Kootney, when as 16 and 17 year old, outplayed a Flame pick which I didn't like at the time in Brent Krahn.

Fatastic goalie, I was praying to death that the Flames would draft him.

17. Levitate

Levitate Registered User

blackburns mental game was always one of his assets as well...he was always said to be very strong mentally, which is one reason they played him in the NHL at a young age

18. Kevin Forbes

Kevin Forbes Registered User

Home Page:
    ever try playing baseball with the glove on the wrong hand?
    what you're proposing is basically trying to teach Blackburn how to be left handed, not an easy thing to do.

Currently he has a modified blocker that he wears on his former catching hand.

19. Sum

Sum Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    Great news. I appreciate the player and I really felt bad for him with his injuries. He still has a long way to go though, physically and mentally, it won't be easy at all for him with the competition he already has. But I guess his return -if it's right- is already a win. I just hope we'll see him again on the ice very soon, he deserves it.

20. Jacob

Jacob Registered User

Home Page:
    And if anyone can overcome this nerve damage thing, it's definitely him.

21. Bacchus

Bacchus Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    Where he is very strong at...

22. Vatican Roulette

Vatican Roulette Baile de Los Locos

Home Page:

can you write a 500 word essay with the opposite hand you write with?

23. NYR469

NYR469 Registered User

Home Page:
    he was lifting weights back in july/august 2003 and pinched a nerve in his shoulder...the doctors recommended rest and time for it to heal and it never got better (he missed all of last season). finally in may they did surgery and went in and found scare tissue pinching 2 nerves. they removed the scare tissue from the 2 nerves, and the 1 nerve started firing almost immediately. he was able to start rehabbing trying to build up strength in his arm...but the 2nd nerve never responded and still isn't firing normally.

the nerve that isn't working controls the muscles that lets you raise your arm...so he's in the best shape of his life physically but he can't lift his glove hand (atleast not in a way required to play nhl hockey).

24. NYR469

NYR469 Registered User

Home Page:
    it'll be great to see him finally back on the ice, but i'm not holding my breath unless he gets full strength back in his arm. the 2 blocker thing is a last ditch effort and i just can't see him being able to play at the nhl level without a glove. he'll probably do well in the ECHL because his talent is way above that level, and he might even be able to handle the ahl, but the nhl is doubtful...especially if the rangers have a healthy al montoya and a healthy henrik lundqvist in front of him.

i wish him the best and hope to see him on broadway again, but i have the feeling that its only a matter of time before it just becomes a story of a kid with unlimited potential who had his career cut short by injuries...sad

25. Habdominal

Habdominal Registered User

Home Page:
    :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:
    That says it all for the switching hand theory :dunno:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.