Player Discussion Jay Woodcroft

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The power play was putrid to start last year and got better as the season went. The problem this year is the stupid, selfishly stubborn mentality of the coaching staff. The PP needs to be more dynamic and is utterly too predictable. We have a player on the verge of breaking out offensively who was money on the PP in jr. and they won't even give him a second of time. Woodcroft won't go unless Todd does.

Reactions: Moregoalspls

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
They run one set play (the jam play down low) that doesn't work. No one-timers, barely any movement. The pass-deflection play that Draisaitl was scoring on last season isn't used any longer.

He's an idiot. An effective 5-on-3 wouldn't have Mark Letestu as the set-up man.

Last edited:

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
We have a player on the verge of breaking out offensively who was money on the PP in jr. and they won't even give him a second of time. Woodcroft won't go unless Todd does.

He was also excellent on the PP at the start of last season, hitting the posts several times. The discussion at that time was pretty much like the one now actually. Letestu was on the PP and everyone demanding Pulju there. It was only later when the PP clicked with Letestu. Jesse also got PP time in one period in the last preseason game and was excellent there.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Don't know why they went back with the overload. They need to run the 1-3-1 again with Drai in the slot. The first two months of last season it was the same. Connor and Drai passing to each other in the corner trying to cycle then the play dies.

They switched to 1 3 1 and the PP became lethal after being bottom for a couple months. Isn't Drais 1 power play point evidence enough he should move back into the slot where he's had a successful time in the past.

Still rather have Pulj on the left half boards instead of Test tube. His snapper is too predictable. With Klef not having the RHS as well this PP unit has to change the current dynamic if you can even call it that..

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
He was also excellent on the PP at the start of last season, hitting the posts several times. The discussion at that time was pretty much like the one now actually. Letestu was on the PP and everyone demanding Pulju there. It was only later when the PP clicked with Letestu. Jesse also got PP time in one period in the last preseason game and was excellent there.

The only reason I can see for not playing him on the PP (aside from Todd being a stubborn fool) is contract. I have a feeling that this time next year Pulju is a top 6 line driving winger that will be commanding a high contract after his ELC. I'd actually like to see him on Drai's wing to get him rolling a bit. Absolutely needs to be on PP1

Reactions: GameChanger

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
The only reason I can see for not playing him on the PP (aside from Todd being a stubborn fool) is contract. I have a feeling that this time next year Pulju is a top 6 line driving winger that will be commanding a high contract after his ELC. I'd actually like to see him on Drai's wing to get him rolling a bit. Absolutely needs to be on PP1

That's what I've bee thinking, too, but it's just not good and not right.

1. Morally so wrong for the player and the fans
2. Morally wrong as it affects the player's confidence which also affects the team negatively
3. They risk the development of the player
4. There's a good chance you lose the respect of the other players. No-one likes to see his boss bang his head against the wall again and again.
5. After you've lost enough points (as is now) the tension in the team grows and you start losing points you wouldn't otherwise.
6. A Finnish mentality appreciates very very much honesty and fair play. It also goes the other way around and it's possible this kind of treatment (if prolonged) will not make the player and the agent too keen on signing an extension. McDavid is a very good reason to stay and I believe Jesse don't have anything against Edmonton, but there are other good options available if you feel the team is doing all they can to make a fool of you.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Can we buy a billboard near Rogers thats says "PUT PULJUJARVI ON TH PP AND TAKE LETESTU OFF"

I will 100% legit contribute to it

If it works we can do this for all things Oilers some future ideas are

"DONT PAY MAROON OVER 4 MILLION'
or
"DONT PLAY LUCIC IN 3V3 OT'
or
'ACQUIRE SOME PKERS'

for example

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
That's what I've bee thinking, too, but it's just not good and not right.

1. Morally so wrong for the player and the fans
2. Morally wrong as it affects the player's confidence which also affects the team negatively
3. They risk the development of the player
4. There's a good chance you lose the respect of the other players. No-one likes to see his boss bang his head against the wall again and again.
5. After you've lost enough points (as is now) the tension in the team grows and you start losing points you wouldn't otherwise.
6. A Finnish mentality appreciates very very much honesty and fair play. It also goes the other way around and it's possible this kind of treatment (if prolonged) will not make the player and the agent too keen on signing an extension. McDavid is a very good reason to stay and I believe Jesse don't have anything against Edmonton, but there are other good options available if you feel the team is doing all they can to make a fool of you.

100% agree with all of this. This is a downside of the cap-world though, people might deny that it happens but I don't see how holding back players can't be taken into account with regards to cap. Could excuse some of Todd's incompetence (direction from higher up?) but not all. IMO you play the roster as best as possible and figure out the cap later. Worst case scenario you have a great player you can't afford and you trade him for a ransom. JP is the better player but I think Yakupov was mis-used as well. Would love to see JP succeed, love Finland and Finnish players in general.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
That 5 on 3 was so embarrassing. Everyone keeps changing their spot on the ice. No one has any idea how to make a play so someone can get a shot off while the goalie is moving. Just seemed like random winging it out there.

The players randomly changing their spot could be something a really good team does to throw the other team off, but for us, we were confusing ourselves more than anything.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
After watching yesterday's game I don't even know if it's Woodcroft or if it's our guys thinking they need to make some sort of fancy play to score all the time.

Put the 4th line out there next time. Obviously having all the skill in the world is doing nothing at all.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
That 5 on 3 was so embarrassing. Everyone keeps changing their spot on the ice. No one has any idea how to make a play so someone can get a shot off while the goalie is moving. Just seemed like random winging it out there.

The players randomly changing their spot could be something a really good team does to throw the other team off, but for us, we were confusing ourselves more than anything.

Klefbom and Draisaitl "Do you want to shoot?" "No, you shoot?" "I want to shoot?" "Lets pass to Letestu"
Letestu shoots into crest

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Woodcroft should be looking for work today

Out of curiosity, why isn't TM running the PP management himself? Isn't he capable of that? Or is this the normal system in the NHL? In Finland the best coaches (the ones with eye for the game and real commitment) usually want to be involved in the PP desicions themselves.

One would think that TM would realize how many points they are losing and he may very well lose his job because of this. Or is he too good friends with Woodcroft he can't change a thing because he's scared of hurting Woodcroft's feelings? I'm just trying to see what's happening as this is giving a terrible picture of the NHL coaching, which can't be the case in the best league there is.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Out of curiosity, why isn't TM running the PP management himself? Isn't he capable of that? Or is this the normal system in the NHL? In Finland the best coaches (the ones with eye for the game and real commitment) usually want to be involved in the PP desicions themselves.

One would think that TM would realize how many points they are losing and he may very well lose his job because of this. Or is he too good friends with Woodcroft he can't change a thing because he's scared of hurting Woodcroft's feelings? I'm just trying to see what's happening as this is giving a terrible picture of the NHL coaching, which can't be the case in the best league there is.
I think he is too good of friends with woodcroft

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Hes likely a spy from toronto sent to crash the team.

Seriously though, I wish Mclellan was my boss. 100% job security no matter how bad I suck.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
If Woodcrofts friendship is more important to Todd then his job, his loyalty to the Oil, and the opportunity to coach who will ultimately end up being one of the top 5 greatest players of all time, then Todd should be out of the job with Woodcroft immediately.

Woodcroft has to go no matter what. We are approaching record bad with our special teams this season, and that's with McDavid and Draisaitl. The f*** ?:skeptic:

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Chia needs to step up and just can him. I know he and Todd are BFFs but enough is enough. It would also light a fire under Todd's ass. No excuses as to why they suck so bad on the PP.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
If Woodcroft wasn't as delusional as he appears to be, he'd save everyone the trouble and step down. However Todd also plays a part in this so f*** it, fire them both.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Yeah I'm tired of Woodcroft's PP also. It's way too static and too easy for the PKers to limit dangerous chances. They just pass the puck around the perimeter hoping for something to open up then eventually they try the jam play in front or a long point shot.

Players should be moving around to make it difficult for the defenders to cover them, puck movement should happen for a purpose not just because a player doesn't know what to do with it, when they have possession the player with the puck should just about always be a threat to shoot, and when a teammate does shoot the puck players down low should be converging on rebounds.

The 5 on 3 last night was brutal. Just a bunch of perimeter passing between guys standing still and then when they did move all they were doing was changing positions with one another which didn't accomplish anything. The 3 PKers barely had to move or worry about shutting down passing lanes that were opening up because everything was so static.

Does Woodcroft even consider looking at other powerplays that are effective? Because this team should be lethal with the 5 on 3 which clearly they're not and they didn't score enough last year with the 5 on 3 either.

Reactions: Pressure

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
This team is so easy to defend because they employ plugs on the PP and point men with muffin shots. Klefbom is one of the few that can blast it but hes been pretty useless this year as far as hockey IQ goes.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This team is so easy to defend because they employ plugs on the PP and point men with muffin shots. Klefbom is one of the few that can blast it but hes been pretty useless this year as far as hockey IQ goes.
It doesn't really matter how hard you shoot it when the other goalie knows where it's coming from. Yes, we had decent numbers on the PP last year, but even then we went long stretches of it being completely flat and it was very evident that we were going to be setting up on the right half-wall for 1:40 of the bloody thing. The fact that Strome and JP have seen very little time goes to show how stubborn Woodcroft is with a willingness to change anything.

Last edited:

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Ya those bombs that go 8 feet wide are getting kind of old at least the muffins hit the post and create a little bit of havok in front (that is if the Oilers are feeling like getting to the front to battle) when it's 8 feet wide and out of the zone not much you can do with it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad