Jay Bouwmeester

Status
Not open for further replies.

#37-#93-#27*

tray said:
What do you all think about his point production this season? Whats he good for?
I'm not very familiar with the Panthers but Jbo to me is a guy who can have a break out season any time, he's just that good.

BCCHL inactive

Why is Jay Bouwmeester, a sophomore in the NHL, being discussed on the prospects board?

#37-#93-#27*

Van said:
Why is Jay Bouwmeester, a sophomore in the NHL, being discussed on the prospects board?
He's 19 years old. :dunno:
Is it really that big of a deal? :rolly:

#37-#93-#27*

Vlad The Impaler said:
If we want a website that makes sense and is logical? Could be, yes.

His age is completely irrelevant. He's a NHLer.
Alright, understood but one question, Where would you put Jamie Lundmark, 43 games under his belt?

He's an NHLer but could still be looked at as a prospect or rookie. I think Bouwmeester could be looked at the same way, just my opinion though, I'm not arguing it either way.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
As for the prediction of 35 points... it is too high, IMO.

This reminds me of a whacky post I read on Pitkanen not long ago. Only 28 defensemen had 35 pts or more last year in the NHL. Only four on non-playoffs team.

None younger than 24 years old, I think.

J-Bo is supposed to rack up 35 points in his second year, at 20 years old on the Florida Panthers?

It's not a "pretty good" prediction. It's an awfully optimistic prediction, even if you are a BIG Bouwmeester fan such as I. Try more around 20-26 points, if everything goes well.

Pessimistic prediction: 14
Realistic: 20
Optimistic: 26
Very optimistic: 32+

BCCHL inactive

#37-#93-#27 said:
Alright, understood but one question, Where would you put Jamie Lundmark, 43 games under his belt?

He's an NHLer but could still be looked at as a prospect or rookie. I think Bouwmeester could be looked at the same way, just my opinion though, I'm not arguing it either way.

Lundmark has never spent a full season in the NHL, so you can't really call him a bonafide NHLer.

Bouwmeester on the other hand, although only having one pro season under his belt, has not and will not play in the minors.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Vlad The Impaler said:

This reminds me of a whacky post I read on Pitkanen not long ago. Only 28 defensemen had 35 pts or more last year in the NHL. Only four on non-playoffs team.

J-Bo is supposed to rack up 35 points in his second year, at 20 years old on the Florida Panthers?

It's not a "pretty good" prediction. It's an awfully optimistic prediction, even if you are a BIG Bouwmeester fan such as I. Try more around 20-26 points, if everything goes well.

When you present the facts like that, I would have to agree that 35 points may be an bit much, especially with the enimic Panthers offense.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
luongofan said:
When you present the facts like that, I would have to agree that 35 points may be an bit much, especially with the enimic Panthers offense.

Facts except for age. I'd have to check more carefully for that one.

Still, I expect a good season for Bouwmeester. No sophomore slump for him because he is just damn reliable all the time and an emotionally down-to-earth guy.

Avery4Byng*

Van said:
Lundmark has never spent a full season in the NHL, so you can't really call him a bonafide NHLer.

Bouwmeester on the other hand, although only having one pro season under his belt, has not and will not play in the minors.

Sorry Van I thought maybe this would be an alright place ot post it. you just run around telling everyone to keep posts in this and that category, CHILL BRO! :dazzle:

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Vlad The Impaler said:

I don`t think 20 points can be called Realistic more like pessimistic if he puts up less than 20 points I`d call that a sophmore slump. Maybe 30-35 points is alittle high but it`s not completely out of the question. Bouwmeester isn`t exactly your typical 2nd year defenceman. The forcaster has him pegged at 37 points this year I`m not saying there right but this guy is an extreme talent I think he could surprise alot of people this year.

BCCHL inactive

tray said:
Sorry Van I thought maybe this would be an alright place ot post it. you just run around telling everyone to keep posts in this and that category, CHILL BRO! :dazzle:

I just don't think it's appropriate that discussion on proven NHL players belongs on the prospects board.

Sue me.

Avery4Byng*

Van said:
I just don't think it's appropriate that discussion on proven NHL players belongs on the prospects board.

Sue me.

LOL my bad. sorry. You will be hearing from my lawyer first thing tomorrow :joker:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Bring_Bak_Damphousse said:
I don`t think 20 points can be called Realistic more like pessimistic if he puts up less than 20 points I`d call that a sophmore slump.

Then I think you are overly demanding of young players. It's just not the way it should be, completely irrealistic. That's not even mentioning the fact that we're only talking about points. As far as I am concerned, Jay could improve on other stuff, put up the same 16 points and I would call it progress. Not linear, to a slump. Progress.

Or maybe you think the Panthers are going to have a very good year. Always possible.

Either way, I'm not going to take someone who judges a player on points alone very seriously. Especially if, when looking at points, he thinks a 3 points improvement (which is actually significant if we're talking defensemen) would be slumping.

Bouwmeester isn`t exactly your typical 2nd year defenceman.

I agree. He is one of the best prospect I have ever seen. Still, it's going to be tough, especially on the Panthers. You don't get too many free points there.

The forcaster has him pegged at 37 points this year I`m not saying there right but this guy is an extreme talent I think he could surprise alot of people this year.

I wasted my money once on the Forecaster, maybe five years ago. I am glad I didn't do it again when I read this :D

To get 37 points, there will be a need for an increase number of goals in the league for sure. A significant one. That could happen. The Panthers will need to kick ass or Jay will need to be a phenom out there. Probably a combination of the two.

I'd prefer he doesn't get 37 points and instead improves all-around. As long as Keenan is there, I bet you he will make sure Jay improves all-around first. He is a very raw individual, despite already being impressive.

I just can't see it happen. I won't say it is impossible but I would bet on it and feel very confident it won't happen.

Not a knock on Bouwmeester. More a tribute to how hard it is to put up points in this league right now, especially as a D. Even moreso if you are trying to be a true two-way guy. Which is one of the beauty of Bouwmeester. This guy can become one of the best offensively and defensively.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
My two cents is that anything up to double last years total of 16 is realistic for a developing kid of his calibre but I wouldn't bank on more than 25 if I was in a pool.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Vlad The Impaler said:
Then I think you are overly demanding of young players. It's just not the way it should be, completely irrealistic. That's not even mentioning the fact that we're only talking about points. As far as I am concerned, Jay could improve on other stuff, put up the same 16 points and I would call it progress. Not linear, to a slump. Progress.

Or maybe you think the Panthers are going to have a very good year. Always possible.

Either way, I'm not going to take someone who judges a player on points alone very seriously. Especially if, when looking at points, he thinks a 3 points improvement (which is actually significant if we're talking defensemen) would be slumping.

I agree. He is one of the best prospect I have ever seen. Still, it's going to be tough, especially on the Panthers. You don't get too many free points there.

I wasted my money once on the Forecaster, maybe five years ago. I am glad I didn't do it again when I read this :D

To get 37 points, there will be a need for an increase number of goals in the league for sure. A significant one. That could happen. The Panthers will need to kick ass or Jay will need to be a phenom out there. Probably a combination of the two.

I'd prefer he doesn't get 37 points and instead improves all-around. As long as Keenan is there, I bet you he will make sure Jay improves all-around first. He is a very raw individual, despite already being impressive.

I just can't see it happen. I won't say it is impossible but I would bet on it and feel very confident it won't happen.

Not a knock on Bouwmeester. More a tribute to how hard it is to put up points in this league right now, especially as a D. Even moreso if you are trying to be a true two-way guy. Which is one of the beauty of Bouwmeester. This guy can become one of the best offensively and defensively.

All I know is Bryan Berard put up 38 points last year from the Bruins. The vision issue aside, Berard is more gifted offensive player than Bowmeester, and played on a MUCH more offensively gifted team. I just don't see those types of numbers out of Jay at this point. I say he'll get about 25.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Vlad The Impaler said:

All I know is Bryan Berard put up 38 points last year from the Bruins. The vision issue aside, Berard is more gifted offensive player than Bowmeester, and played on a MUCH more offensively gifted team. I just don't see those types of numbers out of Jay at this point. I say he'll get about 25.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Rabid Ranger said:

You should probably throw a "right now" in there with regard to Berard being a more gifted offensive player. When JBo is in his prime, there will be no comparison.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
luongofan said:
You should probably throw a "right now" in there with regard to Berard being a more gifted offensive player. When JBo is in his prime, there will be no comparison.

I don't agree. While Bouwmeester has excellent finesse skills, I just don't see him as a big point producer. Bear in mind, Berard was drafted number one overall, and prior to his injury was widely regarded as the number one offensive defenseman prospect. Alot of that ability still exists.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't agree. While Bouwmeester has excellent finesse skills, I just don't see him as a big point producer. Bear in mind, Berard was drafted number one overall, and prior to his injury was widely regarded as the number one offensive defenseman prospect. Alot of that ability still exists.

I agree, but IMO, Bouwmeester has all the tools to be capable of putting up points as well as being defensively responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad