Player Discussion Jason Zucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
6 pts. at home, 19 away.

That's like a 70p pace he's on right now.

When Granny/Nino/Coyle were all out (games 4-12) he had 3 pts (1g at home). 7 of those 9 games were at home, after that he's had a point in 5 of 6 home games.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i wish we had a whole team of zuckers , i've always thought he was a special player. my list of fav mild players gabby , then wes walz , then clutterbuck , then parise & last couple years zucker.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Nino's deal adjusted for the cap increase is a shade higher than $5.5M

My preference would be to add a couple years to bring it back down to ~$5M

$35M/7
That's my hope as well. I have very few concerns about Zucker being worth ~$5m for the duration of a 7 year contract. He's had concussion issues in the past, but I think that was a few seasons ago now. He seems to be sinking pretty strong roots down in the area, so hopefully extra term for a little lower cap hit makes sense for everyone.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It seems like the Drouin contract set the market last offseason for Granny/Nino.

The 7 year contract feels really long. Speed plays such a big part of his game, will it still be there as a 31yo?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Any shorter and he asks for more $$. I'd say 5m is the minimum. If the Wild, against all odds, actually do something in the playoffs and he produces, he could get closer to 6M.

It's tough to keep hammering these guys on their contracts when Koivu, and especially Parise, are still around making what they are making.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Any shorter and he asks for more $$. I'd say 5m is the minimum. If the Wild, against all odds, actually do something in the playoffs and he produces, he could get closer to 6M.

It's tough to keep hammering these guys on their contracts when Koivu, and especially Parise, are still around making what they are making.

Well there is Staal's contract to offset Koivu/Parise.

I think Zucker falls somewhere between $5m-$6m a year range. a 5 year contract is probably the longest I'd be okay with, but would prefer a 4 year deal.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I don't really worry about his skating falling off much by 31. 33-34? Then I start to worry.

Agreed. Naturally fast, great skaters like Zucker don't seem to regress that fast in terms of skating, unless there's a bad injury or two involved. I wouldn't worry about +30y old Zucker. Grabner turns 31 this year and I don't see skating being an issue with him.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
5-7 year I am good with, if longer term equals less cap hit ($5M) then I am good with 7, he'll lose a step but 7 years from now, we won't be regretting making that deal.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
These numbers would sound fair for both sides. But getting north of 6 mil or 6 yrs would be hard for the team. When carrying Suter's and especially Parise's toughest years at the same time. We all knew that was gonna happen, but it still stings.

Mostly because Wild haven't got even close to the greatest goal yet. Ship isn't actually sinking yet, but need to start secure some doors and windows near the water level. And dump extra ballast. Just to keep even few windows open on the upper decks.

Boy would like to have Kaprizov around and with an ELC, rather sooner... Fresh air.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Arvidsson signed 4.25M x 7 last summer after a 31 goal 60 point season, although he was 2 years younger so there were fewer UFA years bought with that.

Palmieri signed 4.65M x 5 after a 30 goal 60 point season two years ago.

Reilly Smith signed 5M x 5 after a 25 goal 50 point season two years ago (140 points in previous 3 seasons) and is a strong two way player.

Hoffman signed 5.2M x 4 after two 30 goal seasons two years ago.

Schwartz signed signed 5.35M x 5 after three seasons, two of which 60 point seasons and one with injury (only 33 games played). Like Arvidsson he was also 2 years younger than Zucker.

Palat signed 5.3M x 5 last summer after scoring 210 points in previous 4 seasons and good playoff performances, and he's also very strong defensively.

That's some comparables. Then there's of course Nino which people are aware of. With the cap going up, you can expect some raise but I'd say 5.5M is pushing it.

Reactions: W75

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Can he realistically get $5.5M and not put the team in complete cap hell?

Short answer is yes, with an $80m cap. We could add 2 $5.5m contracts (Dumba and Zuker) and be okay for next season. There just isn't much room left to add anyone major via UFA.

Actually the only big names on the team that need contracts until the 20-21 season are Dumba, Staal, and Zucker.

The 20-21 season is where the cap decisions will need to be made. Coyle, Granny, Koiuv, and Spurgeon will all need new contracts before the season starts.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Well there is Staal's contract to offset Koivu/Parise.

I think Zucker falls somewhere between $5m-$6m a year range. a 5 year contract is probably the longest I'd be okay with, but would prefer a 4 year deal.

A 4 year deal puts him at free agency at 30 years old, which could end up being a really tough decision to make. I'd rather extend it to 32/33 years old where it's a) easier to cut bait, or b) the expectations of an additional 5 or 6 year deal are diminished.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Parise had five straight (sort of, 1 year lost due to injury) 30+ goals seasons, including a 40+ goal season before signing his deal. Zucker is going to have a two 20 goal seasons, with a shot at 30 goals. I'm not sure I'd make a direct comparison of the two.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
A 4 year deal puts him at free agency at 30 years old, which could end up being a really tough decision to make. I'd rather extend it to 32/33 years old where it's a) easier to cut bait, or b) the expectations of an additional 5 or 6 year deal are diminished.
Agree completely. 33 is about the age where I think we're likely to start getting uncomfortable with spending $5.5m on Zucker (or the 2025 cap-percentage equivalent of $5.5m... you know what I mean), so it'll be a good time to re-evaluate. And at that age he might be more amenable to 2-3 year deals instead of the 4-6 I assume he'd want at age 30.

Which is all probably thinking too long-term, but Zucker seems like a player with a pretty simple trajectory. Dumba too, actually, but that's a different thread.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I'm just worn out on long contracts. I like Granny's 3 year deal, I also like Nino's 5 year deal. Zucker's skillset seems (to me) like one that will take a nosedive off of a cliff once any decline starts. I'd rather go a year short on that than 3 years too long.

30 is also about the perfect age for a player looking for another big contract on the UFA market, so it works for the player. The team can still get a good return as a rental trade if needed also.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm just worn out on long contracts. I like Granny's 3 year deal, I also like Nino's 5 year deal. Zucker's skillset seems (to me) like one that will take a nosedive off of a cliff once any decline starts. I'd rather go a year short on that than 3 years too long.

30 is also about the perfect age for a player looking for another big contract on the UFA market, so it works for the player. The team can still get a good return as a rental trade if needed also.

Ok, but how easy is it going to be to trade him if he scores 25-30 goals during each of the 4 years of the deal, and would we even be in the position to make a deal like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad