NFL: Jason Witten retires

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Very shocking for this to come so late in the off-season.

I do love how fans of other teams are going to lose their shit about yet another Cowboy getting a media job.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
1 of the better tight ends over the past few yrs. He's a few months older than be. All the best to him in retirement.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I wonder if the MNF gig forced his hand into retirement. After Olsen signed the extension and made it clear that that he's going to give it 3 more seasons, they took that money and threw it at Witten.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I wonder if the MNF gig forced his hand into retirement. After Olsen signed the extension and made it clear that that he's going to give it 3 more seasons, they took that money and threw it at Witten.

Is mnf fox? Cause they said he was joining aikman

Oct 18, 2011
I felt like he should have been cut over Dez. Great career but he can no longer block and the Y option is all he can really do. I'm ready for Rico Gathers to get his opportunity

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I felt like he should have been cut over Dez. Great career but he can no longer block and the Y option is all he can really do. I'm ready for Rico Gathers to get his opportunity
They didn’t cut a Witten because they have literally zero depth behind him. Rico Gathers has never played a down in the NFL. He wasn’t even a high school or college football player. Gathers may have the physical ability to play the game, but it would be a huge gamble to just throw him out there when there’s no way of knowing if he can play.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It's now 100% official. Witten is joining MNF.

Witten is no longer a top three pass catching TE, but people are overstating his decline. He still played all 16 games, finished 7th in receptions, 12th in yardage, and... well, the worst thing you can say about him is he's declined into being a league average pass catching TE. He's not great or anything, but this talk of him being terrible is overblown.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Poor Dak. I don't think Witten's retirement changes too much because for the last few years he has moved like he's stuck in quicksand but he was still better than the alternatives.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Strange turnaround. He was once angling to be the head coach at Tennessee. Dude was clearly sitting around waiting for a reason to retire.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Poor Dak. I don't think Witten's retirement changes too much because for the last few years he has moved like he's stuck in quicksand but he was still better than the alternatives.

Dalton Schultz will be his security blanket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->