Jason Strudwick signing and CBA Question

JeffForsberg21

Jul 11, 2004
Quebec
Relating of the signing of Jason Strudwick

I looked in the CBA and didn't find why Jason Strudwick is ineligble to play in the playoffs.

13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season [...] he may thereafter lay in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs [...]

So why this ? Why is he uneligible

NEW YORK (AP) -The New York Rangers signed veteran defenseman Jason Strudwick on Monday.

The 31-year-old Edmonton native played with HC Lugano of the Swiss League this season, registering two goals, three assists and 28 penalty minutes in 34 games.

After clearing waivers at noon, he was inserted into the Rangers' lineup Monday night against Pittsburgh. He was paired with defense partner Paul Mara. Strudwick is eligible to play the final 10 regular-season games, but can't be on the postseason roster should New York reach the playoffs.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I believe he would have had to be on the roster before the 2/27 3pm trading deadline in order to be able to play in the playoffs.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Veteran help for the playoff push ... more depth due to injuries ... things like that.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
He can eat up minutes so other guys don't get worn out.

Also with the race so close, things are likely to get chippy. Struds is a big tough guy. It can't hurt at all. And if he gets a suspension, big deal.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I believe he would have had to be on the roster before the 2/27 3pm trading deadline in order to be able to play in the playoffs.
This is a point that I have never seen a definitive answer on.

It is not covered in the CBA - unlike playing overseas, it is not a waiver issue, so does not necessarily need to be covered in the CBA.

If anything, it is covered in the League Rules - the body of rules and regulations set by the league outside of the CBA - which sadly are not made public.

I don't know if the trading deadline is the cutoff - at least last season it was not. The Sharks signed Matt Carle on March 20, the trading deadline was March 9, and Carle played the last 12 games of the regular season and 11 games in the playoffs. It is possible that the Leage Rules differentiate between signing a draft pick and signing a UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad