Waived: Jason Garrison with Vegas

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
At that cap hit he'll be very hard to trade

Unless the other team wants to send salary back. That's why I think he clears and then we see...
Could be another Pickard situation where he's traded after clearing waivers

Exactly.
Bear in mind: Garrison DOES have a No Trade Clause, which could have caused some issue when McPhee originally tried to move him while he was being scratched.

EDIT: My guess is Garrison to Edmonton for Fayne + 4th round pick.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Many teams will be interested imo. It's the last year on his contract and several teams still got a ton of cap space left.

I could see MTL, COL, EDM, ARI, maybe even NJ and FLA all being interested.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I think some of the "hopefully Montreal claims him" people may not remember that they don't exactly have first crack at him. Waiver priority is still last year's standings until Nov 1. There are a few teams out there with higher priority and cap space that may be interested.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
How serious is Schultz concussion ? If he drops to them maybe Pittsburgh picks him up ?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I believe his NTC is a full no trade clause, which explains why he may not have been traded.

But yeah, Garrison at his best was not a terribly mobile defenceman, and he's slowed down over the past few years. He has great positioning and a booming shot, but he's slow and doesn't move the puck particularly well.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
How serious is Schultz concussion ? If he drops to them maybe Pittsburgh picks him up ? Doubtful though

PIT don't have the cap. they have 123k in cap.

As for Montreal, if they don't claim him, that means that Montreal have a plan to fill up the cap

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
PIT don't have the cap. they have 123k in cap.

As for Montreal, if they don't claim him, that means that Montreal have a plan to fill up the cap
If he's mostly a power play guy with a good shot and is a slow to poor skater ?? Would he even play the power play in Montreal ? Don't we have enough slow defenceman ?

Last edited:

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
If he's mostly a power play guy with a good shot and a slow to poor skater ?? Would he even play the power play in Montreal ? Don't we have enough slow defenceman ?

Garrison has one great power play year, but otherwise his bread and butter has always been defensive play. Think of him as a solid, but slightly too slow, defensive #5 with a booming shot and you're not far off. You could use him as a point shot for the power play if you have a great setup man (like Campbell), but he's not adding a lot besides that on the man advantage (doesn't have great puck movement skills).

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The Canucks have Edler, Stecher out for another few weeks now. Gudbranson might be out too, and Eriksson is on the LTIR. I think the Canucks should take a look, but I assume they would be right against the cap when everyone returns.

oilers84

Jun 24, 2009
If it's a trade to edm then the 4th would be coming from Vegas not edm since fayne makes less

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
It's a 1 year deal.

There is surely a team that can eat that eat that salary
dont-call-me-shirley.jpg

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
on a one year contract... several teams with cap room are struggling... its a hard job to sell to your ticket buying fans if you don't put in a claim for a guy who can still play under this circumstance

if my bruins had more cap room a lhs dman with some second pp skill would be something we should add in place of postma. but even at 1/2 price garrison doesn't fit our cap

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I think Arizona takes him. They could add the veteran guy in the lineup over Connauton. Unless they don't want to add the salary and stay young.

If he falls to Montreal 2nd in the list, which is weird to think about as they have rarely ever been there. I think he could help shore up the defense over Davidson and Morrow. Garrison plays a smart game IMO with the puck. I only seen Las Vegas play twice so far this year I don't think he played in one of them and the other he just had a simple game.

Montreal's defense could look a lot like:

Mete Weber
Alzner Benn
Garrison Petry
Davidson Morrow
Schlemko

I think he could be a fit as most of the Habs defense is from BC. or Alberta So maybe a chemistry thing.

They can afford the cap and have 4mill left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->