Value of: Jason Garrison to the Oilers -- what would it take?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I feel the cap space could be put towards a better player at the deadline. The difference between Garrison and Gryba doesn’t warrant the difference in cap hit

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I feel the cap space could be put towards a better player at the deadline. The difference between Garrison and Gryba doesn’t warrant the difference in cap hit

We could always swap the two, along with a pick going their way. Personally I'd rather have Garrison, as I think he can fill in on the 2nd pairing to some degree until Sekera is back. Or if it's Nurse-Russell as the 2nd pairing, then we have an even better 3rd pairing of Garrison-Benning. Garrison has been very solid so far this season playing 19 minutes a game (2nd pairing minutes).

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
The ask for any of the pending UFA's will likely be 2018 draft picks and/or waiver-exempt prospects. I thought Garrison would probably net a 4th, but I think he could end up returning a 3rd. There's no need to get greedy at this point, as removing him from the roster would allow Shipachyov (NOT Theodore) a permanent spot in the lineup, and that's just as important as the pick.

The tricky part is going to be Garrison's cap hit ($4.6M), even though his actual salary is only $2.5M. We only have two retention slots left, and four high-priced UFA's to move (Neal, Perron, Garrison, Sbisa), so I'd imagine we would like to keep from retaining, even if it means taking Fayne back in a trade with Edmonton.

EDIT: And yes, he does still have a NTC - but why wouldn't a Western Canada native waive it for a chance to go chase a Cup with the best player on the planet?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Uh, not sure I understand the logic here

Yeah I kinda messed up there.
I meant the opposite.

Sekera kinda sucks on the RIGHT side, so we'd be better off getting a right handed d-man to play with Russel while Sekera is out.

Edmonton has a few issues right now and I don't think that getting a #3 or #4 d -man is going to fix it.

I loved how the entire team played vs Calgary, but since that game there have been a ton of things other than the performance of our d-men that have led to us losing games.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yeah I kinda messed up there.
I meant the opposite.

Sekera kinda sucks on the RIGHT side, so we'd be better off getting a right handed d-man to play with Russel while Sekera is out.

Edmonton has a few issues right now and I don't think that getting a #3 or #4 d -man is going to fix it.

I loved how the entire team played vs Calgary, but since that game there have been a ton of things other than the performance of our d-men that have led to us losing games.

Figured you might have meant that haha. Yeah not going to lie, Edmonton looks rough out the gates but I'm betting it's more about shaking off the rust

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Figured you might have meant that haha. Yeah not going to lie, Edmonton looks rough out the gates but I'm betting it's more about shaking off the rust

I donno if it's rust.
We have a lot of players that played a lot more hockey than they're used to.
That could have something to do with it.

Either way things can't get any worse.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Edler for your first + Matt Benning.

A much better player and can play top pairing minutes.
Not sure how an injured defenseman will fix the issue we have of having a hole in our lineup thanks to having an injured defenseman. Cap also doesn't work. Not that I'd give up much for Edler at this point anyway. He's hurt for 1/3 of the year every year.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We could always swap the two, along with a pick going their way. Personally I'd rather have Garrison, as I think he can fill in on the 2nd pairing to some degree until Sekera is back. Or if it's Nurse-Russell as the 2nd pairing, then we have an even better 3rd pairing of Garrison-Benning. Garrison has been very solid so far this season playing 19 minutes a game (2nd pairing minutes).
Garisson is no longer a passable 2nd pairing defenseman. He doesn't have that in him.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
He's a good bottom pairing D, nothing more.

If I was Edmonton I wouldn't be coughing up a 2nd especially when most of you appear to want a RHD more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->