Value of: Jason Garrison to the Oilers -- what would it take?

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Oilers D really looks exposed without Sekera right now. I think Garrison would be a good upgrade on the Oilers 2nd D pairing while Sekera is out, and help things by taking his place until he comes back. He would basically be our #3, and push everyone down a spot where they are more comfortable playing, so this pickup would have a domino effect and help everyone on our D, basically. Garrison also has a LOT of playoff experience, going very deep with Tampa Bay two seasons in a row (playing almost 40 playoff games those two seasons), and that was just a couple years ago. I think he still has enough in him to be a 2nd pairing Dman this season. Probably not beyond, but I think he's worth the gamble that he can help fill in for Sekera until he's back. Not like he would cost a ton to acquire either (or should anyway). I think he would really help out our D-core a lot.

Oilers D with Garrison:

Klefbom - Larsson
Garrison - Russell
Nurse - Benning/Gryba/Simpson

When Sekera is back:

Klefbom - Larsson
Garrison - Sekera
Nurse - Russell
(NOW we're talking -- that's actually a pretty respectable D, IMO)

So the question is, what would Vegas want for Garrison?

His contract expires after this season, and I doubt the LVGK have long-term plans for him in their team, plus he's starting to get up there in age, so it's not like he'll be around when it's time to compete for them, if their build goes well. But he's still a decent Dman now, and I'm confident he could fill in for Sekera very well until he comes back, and continue to help when Sekera is back, too.

Anyway, would a 2nd round (edit: make that a 3rd rounder) pick in next year's draft be enough to gain Garrison's services from Vegas? Maybe a 3rd next year and a 5th the year after?

EDIT: After thinking about it, a 2nd is an overpayment, all things considered. But I'd be willing to trade our 3rd rounder next year, and add a 4th or 5th the year after if needed to get it done. He's been doing a good job playing 19 minutes a night for Vegas, and they're been successful so far. Maybe McPhee wouldn't even want to move him now.

This also opens up a spot for Vegas to be able to call up Theodore, too. So could be a win/win trade for both teams.

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He was pretty bad last year.

I'd be willing to take a gamble on him. His contract is expiring, and he shouldn't cost a ton to acquire. He's the perfect gamble we should be taking right now. Besides, Russell doesn't look nearly as good without Sekera, and Benning is not quite ready for 2nd pairing minutes. Garrison helps eat up some mistake-free minutes -- or more mistake-free minutes than many of the options we have right now. We NEED to do this, IMO.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
A 2nd 2018 would be ok.

Cool, I would do that. I know he's almost finished, but I still think he has enough in the tank to give our D-corps a boost this year, and his contract ends after this season, anyway, so we wouldn't be trapped in a long contract. If he impresses, we could always extend for a year, I'm sure.

Get it done, Chia. We don't need to blow it up, but adding a veteran, 2nd pairing Dman like Garrison can only help right now, IMO. Even if he's a #5, he's still better than Gryba, Auvitu, and many other options right now. Maybe McPhee would accept a 3rd next year, and a 4th the year after. Who knows, I'm sure there's something that can be worked out without us badly overpaying. He might just be happy to get anything of decent value and pave the way for a roster spot for Theodore.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Jason Garrison makes too much money for a deal like that to make sense IMO. Unless Vegas retains--and I don't understand why they would at this point--I don't think we could make it work.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Vegas should be more than happy to get a 2nd round pick for him.

I understand the thought process here but i think you're overestimating Garrison a bit.

The experience factor is valid, which makes Garrison serviceable as a 3rd pairing guy playing 15-16 mins a night, keeping it simple and the puck out. However to put this into context, i think Sbisa is the better dman on Vegas right now. His game has really fallen off the last couple of years. For what you're looking for right now i don't think he's an upgrade over the younger guys.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Vegas should be more than happy to get a 2nd round pick for him.

I understand the thought process here but i think you're overestimating Garrison a bit.

The experience factor is valid, which makes Garrison serviceable as a 3rd pairing guy playing 15-16 mins a night, keeping it simple and the puck out. However to put this into context, i think Sbisa is the better dman on Vegas right now. His game has really fallen off the last couple of years. For what you're looking for right now i don't think he's an upgrade over the younger guys.
2nd is way too much try a 5th

agreed

yes garrison is cool 3rd pair dman. sbisa is trash though.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I agree but the OP suggested a 2nd.

Vegas is hoping for someone to overvalue him for the experience factor and snatch a 2nd or a 3rd, but realistically he should have little to no value when you take into factor his contract.
yeah

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
As a Canuck fan I think the Oilers need to do this. It would be a few more goals for Boeser in the calder race

Reactions: Cogburn

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I believe Vegas would be thrilled to get anything better than a 5th here considering that was the return for Shlemko from Montreal. The VGK still have a surplus of Dmen and had Garrison in the press box tonight. Literally any return is a bonus for McPhee, because he can keep Shypachev in the NHL when either Haula or Fleury return from the IR.

From the Edmonton side, I can agree, Garrison is overpaid and he's losing a step. But, something needs to change right now there to turn things around with your slow start. While I can't say he's a definite upgrade to your 2nd pairing Garrison is a pending UFA due 4.3M for the rest of the season. I say that you offer a 5th or 4th, use Garrison until Sekera is back and then attempt to move Garrison before the deadline for a mid/late pick.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Cool, I would do that. I know he's almost finished, but I still think he has enough in the tank to give our D-corps a boost this year, and his contract ends after this season, anyway, so we wouldn't be trapped in a long contract. If he impresses, we could always extend for a year, I'm sure.

Get it done, Chia. We don't need to blow it up, but adding a veteran, 2nd pairing Dman like Garrison can only help right now, IMO. Even if he's a #5, he's still better than Gryba, Auvitu, and many other options right now. Maybe McPhee would accept a 3rd next year, and a 4th the year after. Who knows, I'm sure there's something that can be worked out without us badly overpaying. He might just be happy to get anything of decent value and pave the way for a roster spot for Theodore.
I'd do a 5th. That's it. At this point, Garrisson would replace Gryba in the lineup, not Nurse or Benning. He's a #6/7.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I'd do a 5th. That's it.

Well, I'd offer a 5th or even a 6th first. If that gets it done, then great. If not, I'd move all the way up to a 3rd. I've realized a 2nd is too much. But I'd be willing to trade a 3rd (not like we ever draft anyone of any consequence after the 2nd round in years, anyway), and maybe add a 4th or 5th rounder the next year if need be. He can't be worse than Benning or Gryba. Impossible. He's been playing 19 minutes a night (2nd pairing minutes) on a Vegas team that has been doing very well so far. If we're going to grab him, we might need to do it quickly, before McPhee thinks he's too important for the team this season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad