Signing(s): Jason Castro to MIN (3 for 24.5M)

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Over his last 343 games, Castro is batting .215 with a .291 OBP and a .660 OPS

Seems like a poor signing to me

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Twins with that new direction really need Castro behind the plate - he's elite pitch framer but nothing more than that. Below average defender actually, could draw a walk but nothing else with the bat. Great market value though.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Twins with that new direction really need Castro behind the plate - he's elite pitch framer but nothing more than that. Below average defender actually, could draw a walk but nothing else with the bat. Great market value though.

Is it though at 8 million per season?

I'd much rather pay someone the league minimum than commit that kinda dough to a below average catcher

The 7 million saved then could be used on an actual upgrade

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

I do remember reading something like that. Maybe that's why teams were willing to overpay? I mean, I read that he had "multiple" three year offers.

Stupid, what's wrong with Kurt?

He's a free agent.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The Twins were the only team in baseball last season to lose more than 100 games

You can cite the need for leadership all you like, but that's too much money for a player of Castro's abilities

And just because there's money to spend, doesn't mean the club needs to spend it

If you're desperate for leadership, sign some vets for the league minimum

It's amazes me that anyone could think paying Jason Castro 25 million dollars over 3 years to play baseball for a last place team is money well spent

I'll be back in 3 years to say 'I told ya so'

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
If they're already a bad team, what does signing Castro hurt?

He's an elite defensive catcher who will catch a young, inexperienced pitching staff.

This is the type of signing that will pay the Twins more dividends in 5 years than during his 3 years of this contract.

#Microvsmacro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad