Confirmed with Link: Jason Botterill Hired As General Manager -- MOD WARNING #1851

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You got that right , Dahlin , a 2019 1st Round Pick , resigning Casey Nelson and signing Pilut and Oloffson. Now just sign Asplund already and all of the other draft picks ( Hagel , Budik etc) draft well then fill the rest of our needs through free agency and trades

He's probably not signing Hagel or Budik.

Have we slipped so far to think a GM doing normal work is "killing it"?

It's a great start to the offseason for the sabres, but I don't know what of anything aside from Pilut I would attribute specifically to Botts. The draft lottery, and the 1st rnd upgrade to the kane trade draft pick were not in his control. Signing draft picks to ELC's is baseline competency stuff. The draft well we'll get Dahlin and then it will likely be a couple years before we see how the rest of the draft turns out. So Pilut is a good start I guess but Free Agency, Reinhart's extension/other RFA's, a key trade or 2, and how Botts addresses depth/goaltending (likely overlaps with FA/trades) are the much bigger considerations for judging botts' offseason. I mean don't take this as crapping on botts but to me he's barely started this off season on things he can direct.

Hear hear.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That reminds me of the Chris Rock "low expectation having" rant.

We still have the old Regier era callous causing us to celebrate signing prospects in a timely (or even early) manner -- and both Botterill and Murray did that to trumpets and laurels, when it is SOP for every other team in the league.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Sabres org hiring a Swede of high trust and hockey reputation to help transition, shepherd, acclimate, coach and/or serve in loco parentis for Pilut, Dahlin, Asplund, Olofsson, & others current or future, makes good sense.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sabres org hiring a Swede of high trust and hockey reputation to help transition, shepherd, acclimate, coach and/or serve in loco parentis for Pilut, Dahlin, Asplund, Olofsson, & others current or future, makes good sense.

At least protect the investment, right?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Someone to remind them that going out to bars isn't the best path to hockey glory, saying it in their mother tongue?

Not that I’m opposed to having a drink, but it would be nice to have some team leaders who are both good at hockey and not well known on Chippewa.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Viktor is our resident Czech Sabre "insider":

Didn't Budik have a pretty damn good year? Seems Botts is seeing something in these WHL Murray picks that he doesn't think they're worth a contract (Budik, Hagel, Estephan). Maybe it's just a numbers game and he would rather get his own guys.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Didn't Budik have a pretty damn good year? Seems Botts is seeing something in these WHL Murray picks that he doesn't think they're worth a contract (Budik, Hagel, Estephan). Maybe it's just a numbers game and he would rather get his own guys.

Estephan was foot speed. Not sure what's the reasoning with the other two. Hagel was so up and down this year. Budik seems like he's a cut above someone like Stephens, but it may be a numbers game -- maybe Botterill thinks he can turn up UDFA better and wants to keep that flexibility.

Reactions: Rasmi

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Draft recap

Well after one year at the helm one thing is for sure. This guy reminds me a lot like Jets GM Chevy. Draft and develop and knowing Botterill he won’t trade picks unless it benefits the team long term like he did by trading a 6 Round Pick for a 6th Round Pick next year. Given what he had with 7 picks I believe he definitely drafted two for sure NHL players in Dahlin and Samuelsson and Pekar’s potential is through the roof and I love that we drafted him so we can control him for 4 Year’s instead of 2. USHL Rookie of the Year in the 4th round great value there. The rest are maybe’s and we will sees and Botterills approach will take Time to adjust too by not drafting many if any CHL players the next few years but I love how he wants to control players for 4 Year’s instead of two and I believe his approach will be very successful because you look at the success the Pens had as he won 3 Stanley Cups so I’m not gunna challenge his vision yet as it’s only year one entering year two of his tenure. But one thing is for sure. The guy has a vision something Murray didn’t and it’s unbelievable to see the difference in approaches

Reactions: Dingo44

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I’m sorry but no Canadiens bothers me a little bit. This year and last. He clearly values the 4 years way too much.
I didnt want to make that a big deal so I didn't say anything but yeah it really bothers me as well. It even bothers me on this forum when a lot of Canadians get aforementioned behind US Development players but I get it. Most dont get to see OHL players regularly.

The college route also scares me because a player doesn't have to sign.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I didnt want to make that a big deal so I didn't say anything but yeah it really bothers me as well. It even bothers me on this forum when a lot of Canadians get aforementioned behind US Development players but I get it. Most dont get to see OHL players regularly.

The college route also scares me because a player doesn't have to sign.
Whereas Mascherin has to.....?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Maybe Botterill is a believer that the Canadian development system is flawed. The us switched to a more European style of developing kids and they’ve seen their stock go way up. If Mittelstadt or Dahlin we’re in major junior I have no doubt he’d have drafted them. In the back rounds where there are many more question marks on guys? I can buy it. The trends have been changing away from Canadian dominance. Maybe he’s just on top of it.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I’m good with whoever he drafts as long as it’s the best available player in their eyes.

Draft the best players, regardless of position, and if they develop you can always use them for trade bait for players to fill holes that are equivalent.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Maybe Botterill is a believer that the Canadian development system is flawed. The us switched to a more European style of developing kids and they’ve seen their stock go way up. If Mittelstadt or Dahlin we’re in major junior I have no doubt he’d have drafted them. In the back rounds where there are many more question marks on guys? I can buy it. The trends have been changing away from Canadian dominance. Maybe he’s just on top of it.
The Canadian system is always reinventing itself. We are still churning out star players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad