Waived: Jaromir Jagr

Jul 6, 2016
Some players don't know when to retire. I feel sorry that Jagr did not get it.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
That's a shame.

He can still play in the NHL, imo.

Hopefully the rumour is true that he's going to Czechia for conditioning and planning on returning later this season.
I'd love to see him add one more team to his total :laugh:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
The mid-1700s seems to be cursed: Howe finished with 1767, Messier 1756, Jagr (currently) 1733, Francis 1731.
Odd how all these guys seem to have fizzled out at about the same time.

Not odd at all. Age/injuries played a factor, and 2 of these guys didn't spend their entire career in the NHL.

Messier likely could have kept playing for a year or two, but retired due to either age or the lockout. Francis could have likely had a year or two left in him as well.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
He was always going to clear waivers. Calgary tried giving him away to prevent putting him on waivers, clearly there were no takers - even for "future considerations". I think he made peace that he would go through this and end up with his Czech team, possibly the Olympics.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Some players don't know when to retire. I feel sorry that Jagr did not get it.

Absolute nonsense remark.

2015-2016

GP 79
Goals 26
Assists 39
+/-: +23

Jagr was 5th in the league in even strength points.
----
2016-2017
GP 82
Goals 16
Assists 30
+/-: +6

Jagr was 4th in the league in even strength assists.

Why would ANYBODY ANYTIME consider to retire with these stats?

And pretty impressive even strength stats for a 45 year old. With people saying he cant skate, still one of the best even strength players in the league.

Even putting up great plus/minus numbers on a terrible Florida team.

Why do people think its should have been obvious for Jagr to retire? On what basis? Its beyond absurd why people say that.

Jagr was seen on a regular basis working out in the Panthers gym for 2 hours immediately after games, when the other players went straight home, he was dedicated to his fitness and almost played 2 straight 82 games seasons.

With hindsight, Jagr should have told the Flames he needed 1 month to prepare himself like he usually does to avoid groin injures instead of being rushed and pushed into shape quickly in different training manners than he is used to.

Maybe he should have signed with the Blues instead? Or told Florida in the summer he would play for 500 000$?

But please, dont come here and pretend you could predict the future, its a joke.

Jagr and the Flames did the right thing, and Jagr got injured sadly, and that was the end of his NHL career. But if he had stayed healthy with a full pre-season it could have been an entire different story.

Last edited:

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
A shame. Jagr was very good for the Flames early on too, he had like 6 points in 11 games or something and that was with missing the training camp and preseason. Injury was unfortunate and it's pretty clear that there's a heavy discrimination against older and slower players around the league (usually for a very good reason but in these rare cases when talking about generational player and genetic freak, it's more lazy tunnel vision than anything else). Like @Lesky just said, Jagr's been ballin', and the disrespect he's gotten lately is pretty sad.

Reactions: Lesky

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
He has made it fairly clear he is not going to the Olympics. He will play for his home team (which he is the owner of), as he has promised that he will end his career there. And that's what is happening now.

Reactions: Morrison

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Thing is it appears to me he doesn't want to pay the price anymore. When he signed with us, he admitted he hadn't trained in the off season

That is complete nonsense.

He said that he hadn't played games in five months because his team missed the playoffs and then he missed the pre-season. Jagr absolutely trained all off-season. He's notorious for his gruelling workouts and strict training regimen. What you are saying is totally false.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

He said that he hadn't played games in five months because his team missed the playoffs and then he missed the pre-season. Jagr absolutely trained all off-season. He's notorious for his gruelling workouts and strict training regimen. What you are saying is totally false.

No he's right, jagr admitted he hasn't been training in offseasons lately

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary

You're the third person to put their foot in their mouth with regards to what I said, maybe do a little research before telling someone what their saying is nonsense.
Incorrect, he did not train as per usual, if he had he would have played some preseason games, he did not, but don't take my word for it. To quote Jagr himself "Give me a little bit of time because it was a little bit of a different summer, when you don't have motivation to practice, to go any direction, I didn't know where I gonna play If I ever gonna play, so now I know so I probably gonna need a little more time than usually, but after a while I can promise you i'll do everything to help this team."

He says it 1:08 seconds in

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
You're the third person to put their foot in their mouth with regards to what I said, maybe do a little research before telling someone what their saying is nonsense.

Pretty funny that a guy who floated the idea that a 45 year old man could skip training for an entire off-season, skip the pre-season and then play NHL games in October is talking about someone else having their foot in their mouth. What you are suggesting is hilariously naive. Jagr trained, he just didn't do his usual insane schedule.

Did you even watch this video that you think is evidence that he didn't train all summer? The video talks about how his summer was different, but he certainly doesn't suggest that he didn't train in the off-season, which, as I said before, is utter nonsense.

I know two people that did some training with Jagr in July and part of August. One of them, quite a bit younger than Jaromir, couldn't keep up and stopped the workouts. To suggest he didn't train in the off-season is laughable. He trained, and trained hard, but he didn't do what he has been doing previously. (His workouts, especially with the weighted skates, stick and equipment, are truly legendary.)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Why wouldn't a team like Montreal claim him? Isn't this idiotic?

If their season is shot anyways. They have cap space. Jagr in Montreal would create entertainment and excitement for the fans. He's wanted to come to Montreal in the past, so i'm sure he'd be up for it.

Disappointing.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Pretty funny that a guy who floated the idea that a 45 year old man could skip training for an entire off-season, skip the pre-season and then play NHL games in October is talking about someone else having their foot in their mouth. What you are suggesting is hilariously naive. Jagr trained, he just didn't do his usual insane schedule.

Did you even watch this video that you think is evidence that he didn't train all summer? The video talks about how his summer was different, but he certainly doesn't suggest that he didn't train in the off-season, which, as I said before, is utter nonsense.

I know two people that did some training with Jagr in July and part of August. One of them, quite a bit younger than Jaromir, couldn't keep up and stopped the workouts. To suggest he didn't train in the off-season is laughable. He trained, and trained hard, but he didn't do what he has been doing previously. (His workouts, especially with the weighted skates, stick and equipment, are truly legendary.)

One of the best posts I`ve read on this board for a long time. Very well put. Thank you for putting yet another "Jagr haters claim" to rest. Haters gonna hate.

Also:

Jagr was training daily at Floridas training facility in may, june up to july 1st and l free agency to prepare for next season, he had been promised a contract with the Panthers after the expansion draft. Since when is june not considered a part of the summer?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad