Jarome Iginla

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
How was it to watch him in his prime years? What kind of impact did he have on the ice?

I only saw him since 2009-2010 season.

Would a prime Iginla have any effect in todays NHL?

Just asking out of curiosity.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Prime Iginla is the reason I started watching hockey. He was an amazing power forward with a cannon of a shot, and he could single-handedly win games when he was going at full tilt. Not overly flashy, but it was really a treat watching him skate down the wing and rip goals from the circles. He also had this great kind of Hulk-like quality, where he became unstoppable if someone sufficiently pissed him off. Also an underrated playmaker.

I'm a huge fan of many of the current Flames, Gaudreau with his extreme skill level, Monahan's understated offensive game, Backlund's borderline perfect defence and forechecking, but there's nothing I've found quite as awesome and entertaining as watching a juggernaut of a player like Iginla. Imagine a better (and infinitely more likeable) Jamie Benn and you're pretty close.

And yes, he'd have plenty of effect in today's NHL. Some of his best seasons were in today's NHL (assuming we're talking about anything after the '05 lockout).

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

Hahahaha. Yes, an elite goal scorer who could outmuscle a defense while hardly trying would be just as effective in today's NHL as in any other era.

When he broke out of the neutral zone and started to set up shop, Iggy wasn't thinking about systems, or positions, or anything else. The guy was just playing hockey, but the difference was that he was better at just playing hockey than anyone else on the ice.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There literally wasn't a box he didn't check. He made it easy to be proud of being a Flames fan even when they were bad. He's dominate games with skill, physicality, leadership. When you got him angry, it was like he was coming over the boards for every second shift like a man possessed.

I miss it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How was it to watch him in his prime years? What kind of impact did he have on the ice?

I only saw him since 2009-2010 season.

Just asking out of curiosity.
There was nothing Iggy could not do. He would score the big goal (either with his elite shot or by going to the dirty areas), he would make the great pass when he needed to, he would lay the big hit, he would drive through the biggest and meanest defensemen the NH had to offer and he would drop the gloves in defense of his teammates (and himself).

If Jarome was in his prime right now, he would be the only legitimate elite power forward in the NHL at the moment. He would likely be in contention for the Rocket Richard trophy and if he was playing on the current Flames top line, I think he would still be in talks for being the greatest player in game.

The guy literally scored more goals than any other player in the NHL from 2000-2010 and was second only to Joe Thornton in points.

And on top of everything he did on the ice... he was even better off the ice.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Iggy could dominate, here's a few clips from AC's video of Iggy from the 04 finals.

Dbj71o7.gif

Iggy had wheels back in 04, there is no doubt that today he would light the lamp in his prime.

KOaBHIY.gif
[/IMG]
KOaBHIY.gif

This video is a must if you haven't seen it, sums up Iggy pretty well.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
That's a question you ask of a guy like Gretzky who never worked out. Not of a physical specimen like Iginla. Even into his 30's he would likely have been the most fit person on 25/30 teams in the league. He had the drive and desire to win games, but also had the skating, shot and understanding of the game to do just that. There are only so many people who have ever been considered the best player in the world at any given time and he was one of them.

You know he's a special player when even the fans of your enemies consider have nothing but respect for him.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He's probably one of the most slept on superstars this league has ever had. Mindboggling how he was left out of the NHL's Top 100

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
He was the best in the league for a year or two. A bulldog that was literally unstoppable, he'd put his head down and shove the puck towards the front of the net. He'd dominate still in todays NHL he was just stupidly strong, stronger than tree trunk legs Crosby. He was like a way more talented, way stronger bowling ball head Tie Domi.

He carried the team on his back for nearly a decade and the media started to turn on him, country club rumour BS, so he soured on the city and stopped caring. I don't blame him for leaving and never looking back.

Reactions: Sk8M8

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
Iggy in his prime would dominate in todays NHL with less 'hitting' and hooking/slashing. Iginla was dominant with all that garbage going on back in his day, with less of that and more open room on the ice I'd say Iginla would have even more goals in todays game then he had back then.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I probably don't give him enough credit for how good he was for us for so many years. I suppose some of that comes from us never winning a cup with him, but damn we came close in 2004. And then the last handful of years he was with Calgary were kind of disappointing. But that's being greedy I suppose.

Bottom line is he was awesome in his prime and such a treat for us to have for so long. For a good 7 or 8 years he was the best power forward in the league. Heck, maybe 10 years. And for 5 or so years there he was arguably a top 2 or 3 player in the league.

Thanks for those who posted those greats gifs and video. It brings back good memories.

Reactions: hangman005

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
I grew up in Montréal so obviously all the craze was about the Habs. However, I didn't get into hockey until my uncle, who lived in Calgary for a few years, said he liked the Flames way more. I wasn't sure why so he showed me a Flames game on TV. I was stunned by one player's dominance and just the way he played the game. I asked my uncle who that was and he told me "He's a monster, his name is Jarome Iginla". From that day forward, I've been a Flames fan (I also really like the Habs now) and Iginla is still my favourite player of all time. It also helped that he was so good in NHL2k7, which I kept on playing.

Fun thread, I miss Iginla. Anyone know what he's up to nowadays?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I grew up in Montréal so obviously all the craze was about the Habs. However, I didn't get into hockey until my uncle, who lived in Calgary for a few years, said he liked the Flames way more. I wasn't sure why so he showed me a Flames game on TV. I was stunned by one player's dominance and just the way he played the game. I asked my uncle who that was and he told me "He's a monster, his name is Jarome Iginla". From that day forward, I've been a Flames fan (I also really like the Habs now) and Iginla is still my favourite player of all time. It also helped that he was so good in NHL2k7, which I kept on playing.

Fun thread, I miss Iginla. Anyone know what he's up to nowadays?
He's been rehabbing something, from what I understand, and is now medically cleared and attempting to make the Team Canada squad for the Spengler Cup and the Olympics.

Reactions: TychoFan

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
He's been rehabbing something, from what I understand, and is now medically cleared and attempting to make the Team Canada squad for the Spengler Cup and the Olympics.
He'd automatically HAVE to be captain for the Olympics if he made it right? Just has to be. How many Canadians have played in 5 Olympics?

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
As a Canucks fan, getting to watch Iginla in his prime as much as I did was honestly an absolute treat (would've preferred we weren't the team he eliminated but alas). One of the GOAT power forwards the game has ever seen and someone that could virtually do it all on the ice when he was on his game. A determined Iginla was a scary force of nature in his prime.

beyond me how this man was left off of NHL's "top 100" list looking at his statistics from 1999-2011 and overall legacy

if Toews gets in with his cups Iginla definitely gets top 50 if the flames had won in '04

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->