Jaret Stoll VS Jay McClement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Stoll 2000 draft pick and 2002 lol 1982 DOB
McClement 2001 1983 DOB

McClement is a very under-rated prospect. I know i've heard the blues think very highly of him but hen would have probably been a first rounder in 2001 if he wasn't moulded into such a defensive role by Stan Butler as a member of the Battalion. He is a very complete player. efficient on both ends of the ice and in excellent condition.
I feel he is as good as Stoll right now but in time he will be an excellent NHL defensive centreman.

Stoll is a powerful player who uses his size and heart whenever he's on the ice. He's seen time wwith edmonton and his development seems to be coming along well. IMO he's going to be a career 3rd 4th liner. His offensive upside does not equal that of Mcclement

Right now it's tough to call .... but in the long run I think i'd take McClement.

lets get some opinions on the two players.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I'll take Stoll, easily.

He is already an NHL regular. He was a far better scorer in junior, and has better offensive upside in general. Anything McClement gives you, Stoll is probably better in that regard in my mind. Stoll is also pure captain material, as evidenced by his leading the Canadian WJC team.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Hossa said:
I'll take Stoll, easily.

He is already an NHL regular. He was a far better scorer in junior, and has better offensive upside in general. Anything McClement gives you, Stoll is probably better in that regard in my mind. Stoll is also pure captain material, as evidenced by his leading the Canadian WJC team.

I dunno about him bei a wayyyy better scorer in junior. McClement battled alot of injuries in his final season.

At the world juniors he was one of their best players in the 2003 tournament. even to the point that he was labelled by Pierre Mcguire as "Canada's MVP."

I think he will be a better pro than Stoll... Stoll is a quality character guy as well. I just dont think he can snipe like McClement.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Stolls numbers were much better BUT McClement could have been around those if he wasn't a defensive centre his first couple years in the league...

Do u guys thinjk Stoll has top two line up side?

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
I dunno about him bei a wayyyy better scorer in junior. McClement battled alot of injuries in his final season.

At the world juniors he was one of their best players in the 2003 tournament. even to the point that he was labelled by Pierre Mcguire as "Canada's MVP."

I think he will be a better pro than Stoll... Stoll is a quality character guy as well. I just dont think he can snipe like McClement.

Stoll last year put up around the same number of poitns in the NHL as McClement did in the AHL. Stoll has the ability to be either a fantastic third line player or a competent second liner. McClement is more of a straight checker with limited offensive upside.

I watched him in the OHL, he didn't do it for me. He showed absolutely nothing special about him. He's solid defensively, great on face-offs, but he's certainly not that big nor is he anything close to a sniper as you suggest. Stoll on the other hand has scored more at every level (106 points in the WHL, 54 points as an AHL rookie, 21 points as an NHL rookie) than McClement (55 points in the OHL, 25 points as an AHL rookie, no NHL play as of yet)...it's no comparison in my books.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
ktownhockey said:

Stoll last year put up around the same number of poitns in the NHL as McClement did in the AHL. Stoll has the ability to be either a fantastic third line player or a competent second liner. McClement is more of a straight checker with limited offensive upside.

I watched him in the OHL, he didn't do it for me. He showed absolutely nothing special about him. He's solid defensively, great on face-offs, but he's certainly not that big nor is he anything close to a sniper as you suggest. Stoll on the other hand has scored more at every level (106 points in the WHL, 54 points as an AHL rookie, 21 points as an NHL rookie) than McClement (55 points in the OHL, 25 points as an AHL rookie, no NHL play as of yet)...it's no comparison in my books.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
ktownhockey said:

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

May 15, 2003
E-town
Jarret Stoll is going to surprise alot of people. He wasn't really ready at the beginning of the year, but shortly in you could see he was doing well. The guy is flat-out smart, and that's his biggest advantage. He makes so many good decisions on the ice for such a young player. That's gonna help him in the future. It's not like he has bad hands either. Depending on his development, I'd say he could wind up a 2nd or 3rd line center on a good team. I'm actually inclined to say 2nd, which surprises me even now. The guy can fit in with better players already without noticable drag on their play, and he's always in proper position. He puts some of the jokers who think they're 2nd line centers (like Shawn Horcoff) on our team to shame. Jarret is flat-out solid.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Hossa said:
I'll take Stoll, easily.

I'll echo that.

I can't think of a category where McClement beats Stoll to be honest. Everything McClement can do, Stoll can do just as well or better.

krooky

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Stoll is a beauty! I think he is very underrated. When he fully develops I believe he will be one of the very best 2-way Centres in the league. Similar to a Rod Brind'amour. He has more offensive upside than most people think and is a born leader. At this point he is way ahead of McClement as far as I can see.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Yes I think Stoll is better now. I just have a feeling that McClement if given the chance in the NHL will match up really well with oppositions top lines. I don't know how physically fit Stoll is but I hear that McClement is in the best shape on every team he plays on... I might be a little bias because he's from my home town and I've played W/ and against him but its just my opinion

not taking anything away from Stoll... I think he's great

gongshow

Jun 9, 2004
etown
I think Stoll is a beaut of a player... lays out the body... wins faceoffs... was one of the better faceoff men in the league for a younger guy and what i like best he takes care of his own end first and then goes to offensive.... p.s gotta love that flow... that is sum beauty hockey hair

Sethis

May 9, 2004
Stoll

if you look at their best seasons in the WHL and AHL, Stoll almost doubles him on both for offensive productionn (106-55, 54-25) not to mention all McClements strengths are what Stoll duplicates and perfects. He's great on faceoffs, extremely smart, great defensively, great in the dressing room, and just solid at everything as he has no glaring weknesses. When he has time he can really unload a cannon of a slapshot and he's worked on his skating to a point where its almost a strength too.

Hopefully will be the next captain of Edmonton too. (I'd count on it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad