Jared Stoll VS Jay McClement (revisited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I did this thread a year ago and it was about 9 people out of 10 picked Stoll over McClement. Now that a year has passed I was wondering if anyone has changed their minds. I think McClement showed me this year that he is the deal deal and is St Louis' best Forward prospect (as rated by HF and myself lol)

McClement - always has been one of if not the best defensive forward prospects around. Excellent blend of speed... size... strength and awareness... should be in the NHL when it comes back this fall... (fingers crossed)... 2-3 line centre.. 45 PTS Ceiling ... great PK guy... Led his AHL team Worcester in scoring.. despite struggling offensively the first two months of the season....
DOB 1983 --- 2nd Round Pick St. Louis 2001 -- 6"1.5 199lbs
POS GP G A PTS +/- PIM
McClement, Jay C 79 17 34 51 1 45

Stoll - Battled with a bad injury this year still put up decent numbers:
DOB 1982-- 2nd Round Edmonton 2002 (re-entry) -- 6"1 209lbs
POS GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Stoll, Jarret C 66 21 17 38 +13 92
I think his stock has dropped a bit this year, but is still in contention to grab a spot on the oilers.. I think these prospects are very similar but I think McClement is catching up. It's all about development and McClement and Stoll are both developing nicely...

throw junior stats out the window and watching both of these players play in the AHL and you can tell there gonna be NHLers... good luck to both.. lets get some opinions.

I think this year McClement showed that given time on the top offensive unit he can produce and I think many renlected that because of his coaching he recieved in junior from Stan Butler... Stoll was battling injuries all year and probably would have put up points similar to McClement if he had been healthy all year...it's a coin flip for me but I really think McClement will be a great NHLer.. time will tell I guess...

MY PICK: McClement

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
I did this thread a year ago and it was about 9 people out of 10 picked Stoll over McClement. Now that a year has passed I was wondering if anyone has changed their minds. I think McClement showed me this year that he is the deal deal and is St Louis' best Forward prospect (as rated by HF and myself lol)

McClement - always has been one of if not the best defensive forward prospects around. Excellent blend of speed... size... strength and awareness... should be in the NHL when it comes back this fall... (fingers crossed)... 2-3 line centre.. 45 PTS Ceiling ... great PK guy... Led his AHL team Worcester in scoring.. despite struggling offensively the first two months of the season....
DOB 1983 --- 2nd Round Pick St. Louis 2001 -- 6"1.5 199lbs
POS GP G A PTS +/- PIM
McClement, Jay C 79 17 34 51 1 45

Stoll - Battled with a bad injury this year still put up decent numbers:
DOB 1982-- 2nd Round Edmonton 2002 (re-entry) -- 6"1 209lbs
POS GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Stoll, Jarret C 66 21 17 38 +13 92
I think his stock has dropped a bit this year, but is still in contention to grab a spot on the oilers.. I think these prospects are very similar but I think McClement is catching up. It's all about development and McClement and Stoll are both developing nicely...

throw junior stats out the window and watching both of these players play in the AHL and you can tell there gonna be NHLers... good luck to both.. lets get some opinions.

I think this year McClement showed that given time on the top offensive unit he can produce and I think many renlected that because of his coaching he recieved in junior from Stan Butler... Stoll was battling injuries all year and probably would have put up points similar to McClement if he had been healthy all year...it's a coin flip for me but I really think McClement will be a great NHLer.. time will tell I guess...

MY PICK: McClement

Uh, no way. I'd go with Stoll for sure. IMO, he's a future captain for the Oilers and will become one of the best 3rd line centre's in the league. He had a very impressive rookie year with the Oilers, and has proved he can play in the NHL.

McClement hasn't proved anything as of yet at the NHL level. Yeah, he's St. Louis' top forward prospect, but look who he's going up against.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
LadyByngJeanRatelle said:
Uh, no way. I'd go with Stoll for sure. IMO, he's a future captain for the Oilers and will become one of the best 3rd line centre's in the league. He had a very impressive rookie year with the Oilers, and has proved he can play in the NHL.

McClement hasn't proved anything as of yet at the NHL level. Yeah, he's St. Louis' top forward prospect, but look who he's going up against.

People are sayign this obviosuly because Stoll is the more 'popular' prospect around here... what's your reasoning.. everyone said last year it was because of his offensive... well.. this year McClement avg'd more PPG then Stoll on a worse team where he didnt get top ice till half way through the year... and if you wanted to say leadership or defence I can't see how you'd put Stoll ahead of McClement either.. I've seen McClement play hockey since he was in novice and he's always been the ultimate team guy and team leader and I think this is why he gets lost in the shuffle.. Nothing against Stoll as I do think he'll become a great 3rd liner I just think people underestimate McClements skills and presence on the.. the better the players he plays against the better he gets like most great prospects do...

It's very close between the two but I think most of you will be surprised by McClement WHEN he gets to the Blues next year or the year after.. as for Stoll good luck to him with the Oilers in the future...

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
I pick mcclement for much of the same reasons ktown does. Stoll is forsure the bigger name based on his past.. but If the AHL got more exposure right now then more people would be picking mcclement. Once the NHL gets going and these players are exposed bettter I think Jay will turn more heads. The better the competition the better he plays

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
People are sayign this obviosuly because Stoll is the more 'popular' prospect around here... what's your reasoning.. everyone said last year it was because of his offensive... well.. this year McClement avg'd more PPG then Stoll on a worse team where he didnt get top ice till half way through the year... and if you wanted to say leadership or defence I can't see how you'd put Stoll ahead of McClement either.. I've seen McClement play hockey since he was in novice and he's always been the ultimate team guy and team leader and I think this is why he gets lost in the shuffle.. Nothing against Stoll as I do think he'll become a great 3rd liner I just think people underestimate McClements skills and presence on the.. the better the players he plays against the better he gets like most great prospects do...

It's very close between the two but I think most of you will be surprised by McClement WHEN he gets to the Blues next year or the year after.. as for Stoll good luck to him with the Oilers in the future...

Stoll captained the WJC team. McClement didn't. From all I've heard, Stoll is the ultimate team player.

79 17 34 51 45 McClement's numbers

66 21 17 38 92 Stoll's numbers

Not that much of a difference. Stoll scored 4 more goals, in 13 less games. But McClement did get 13 more points.

The thing that does it for me is last year's performance of Stoll. He's proved he can do it at the NHL level, which McClement has yet to do. Until McClement does, I'm taking Stoll b/c he's more of a sure thing.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
LadyByngJeanRatelle said:
Stoll captained the WJC team. McClement didn't. From all I've heard, Stoll is the ultimate team player.

79 17 34 51 45 McClement's numbers

66 21 17 38 92 Stoll's numbers

Not that much of a difference. Stoll scored 4 more goals, in 13 less games. But McClement did get 13 more points.

The thing that does it for me is last year's performance of Stoll. He's proved he can do it at the NHL level, which McClement has yet to do. Until McClement does, I'm taking Stoll b/c he's more of a sure thing.

Hey, I totally respect your opinion and both players are great hard working hockey players who play TEAM first... I don't put a TON of stock into being the captain of the world junior, and before you go jump all over that comment let me say this, most of the guys turn out to be great leaders... but just because someone isnt hte captain of the world juniors doesn't mean they wont be a captain in the NHL... look at Canada for example, most years they have in upwards of 10 CHL captains on their team... plus Assistants.. Stoll deserved being the captain in 2002.. Althought in 2003 Scottie Upshall was a great captain .. McClement... Colaiacovo.. and many others could have been captain and done a formidable job..

Im not at all questioning Stoll's leadrship skills, I was just emphasizing how unknown to many people McClements leadership abilities are/were. I think McClement would have had a run in the NHL this year later in the year if the season would have happened.. but he played in one of the best leagues in the world at the time.. played well, as did Stoll and showed that he is a top NHL prospect....

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Dude. It's Jarrett not Jared. Jared is that annoying subway guy.

And yes I'd pick McClement he seems to have a better head on his shoulders and can live up to his expectations as a defensive center. I think Stoll will fall short of his expectations.

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
I_Am_Canadian said:
Dude. It's Jarrett not Jared. Jared is that annoying subway guy.

And yes I'd pick McClement he seems to have a better head on his shoulders and can live up to his expectations as a defensive center. I think Stoll will fall short of his expectations.

Jarret actually. Stoll, Jarret Stoll.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Right now I think I would pick Stoll because he proved he could play in the NHL but it would not suprise me if McClement becomes the better player and the one I would pick in the future.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
sevenSteen said:
Actually I feel that Alexei Shkotov is St. Louis' best forward prospect..

Between Stoll and McClement though, I'd take Stoll.

He may be the prospect with the most offensive upside.. but overall game and and ability has got to go to McClement... IMO

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I'd still take Stoll rather easily. The stats this year, if you look at them are quite similar. McClement played more games, Stoll scored more goals. Stoll has already proven himself at the NHL level, McClement has not.

I'm a McClement fan and watched him mature in Brampton of the OHL. I think he's going to make a decent NHL'er, but I just don't think his offensive projection in the NHL will be as great as Stoll's. Both are great defensive players, both have heart. But I just think Stoll will be the better offensive producer, while carrying the same overall intangibles.

Divine Wind

I am an Oiler's fan so i have an obvious bias, and i will admit, i am fairly ignorant of McClement as a prospect.

Some points i did want to bring up though. Stoll suffered a massive injury when he had a skate blade run over his calf and nearly sever it in two. This is no light injury to recover or bounce back from. Suprising he came back as soon as he did, let alone at all. As far as McClement playnig on a worse team, i find that debateable as well. The RoadRunners had a horrid season, with few bright spots at all, among which was Stoll's consistency, and dependability.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
BobMarleyNYR said:
Er, isn't Shkotov your best prospect?

Like the man said, best offensively gifted prospect. Carl Söderberg also has the potential to be the Blues' best forward prospect. He has the size, skills, speed and explosiveness to be very good. //end shameless plug for Blues prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad