Jared Staal

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by YogiCanucks, Jan 18, 2007.

1. YogiCanucks

YogiCanucks Registered User

Student
    How good do think this kid will turn out?

2. Westguy13

Westguy13 Registered User

From what I hear he may be one of the bigger brothers but he's not as talented as the others were at his age. Thats going off second hand knowledge though I've never actually seen him play.

1g 1a in 47 games with Sudbury this season.

3. The Viking Fury

The Viking Fury Registered User

He will be first overall in his draft class :sarcasm:

4. johnny canuckistan

johnny canuckistan Registered User

I don't think he'll even be a first rounder, unless he plays much better in his next two (?) years in the OHL. He'll likely go in the second round, mostly due to his pedigree. I think he'll play in the NHL, but he's not likely to be a star like the other three will be/currently are.

I'm rooting for him, though - all the Staal boys seem very polite and well-brought up, so I hope he won't be left out in the cold, playing shinny on the family rink in Thunder Bay by his lonesome self.

5. Le Golie

Le Golie ...

From what I have seen, which is admittedly not a lot - he's not an NHL talent. He'll probably get drafted because he is a Staal and the pedigry is very appealing. Someone will take a chance on him and hope he develops into something he hasn't shown yet.

He certainly won't be a first rounder. If he does get picked up by an NHL team it will be in the late rounds, and my honest projection would be career ECHL'er.

But here's hoping he can continue the Staal story. Like his brothers, I have no doubt Jared is a good kid so I'm pulling for him.

6. derbyfan

derbyfan Registered User

Home Page:
    He's got a long, LONG way to go. I watched him Thursday night against Brampton, first time I've seen him at a game.
    He's big (6'2), and looks like any 16-year old trying to get used to their body.
    He had a nice 2-on-1 rush in which he fed a nice pass through a Battalion defender to set up his teammate, who couldn't convert.
    Otherwise, not much to speak of. It will be interesting to see how he develops - he certainly didn't look nearly as good as many of the '90's I've seen this year.
    On the other hand he's likely still got some growing to do, and history has shown that his brothers turned out pretty darn good, so who knows what potential lies inside this kid.
    But of the three Staals I've seen in the OHL that came before him, he's the least talented as a rookie by far.

7. Westguy13

Westguy13 Registered User

God I hope you're joking.

8. Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Superfly Jimmy Snuka Registered User

dont look at his stats as an indicator, he simply put plays on most nights 4-5minutes and the three games i have seen he hasnt seen the ice at all so the point totals are not going to be there.......he has the frame and everything but i think a better indicator of his potential will be next year when he will receive regular playing time. i doubt hes in the top 3 rounds of the nhl draft but i think someone will pick him up later on in the draft.

9. Killer

Killer Registered User

Student
    Pens, Rangers or Canes would probly like to get him..
    Nice to have two brothers in the same team.

10. Howard35

Howard35 Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    thus the icon at the end... :shakehead :help:

11. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers White guilt milquetoast piece of human garbage. Sponsor

Corporate Drone
    More like in the same organization. I doubt he makes the NHL.

12. Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge Registered User

Valentin Morozov
    Drew Fata

ahh...to continue the useless brother in the same system trend.

13. haelwho

haelwho Registered User

Well, Valentin was drafted first, and Aleksey didn't turn out too bad, so I think that may have proven his point a little more than yours.

14. JamesR

JamesR Registered User

There was an interview with the other Staal brother who said that Jared was the most talented of the four. Now I dont know if they were just trying to boost him, but you cant go by his stats. There have been players who've scored 70+ goals and 100+ points in the juniors and they turned into busts.

Jared might turn out to be more of a role player.

15. Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan Registered User

Alain Lemieux

16. monster_bertuzzi

monster_bertuzzi registered user

Home Page:
    He's better than Jordan and Eric.

17. Qubax

Qubax Registered User

Home Page:
    1.Jordan

2.Eric
    3.Marc

4.Jared

The end

18. Hunter Gathers

Corporate Drone
    What the **** has Jordan done to be better than Eric yet?

That's absolutely laughable.

19. Rise from the Ashes

Rise from the Ashes Price defies corsi

i heard somewhere he was supposed to be better then the other 3, but i am not sure if was sarcasm. Supposably the brothers think hes the best one?

20. SteelCitySaviour

SteelCitySaviour Registered User

Maybe the fact that in only 48 games this year, he's already eclipsed Eric's goal total from his rookie year by 5 (16-11), the fact that Eric is a career - 24, including a -8 during his breakout, 100 point campaign for the Stanley Cup champs while Jordan is a +10 despite only turning 18 a few years before the season started. Add to that the fact that he was supposed to be the most raw, biggest project out of any of the top picks this year which lends to the fact that he has an enormous upside...even though he's a damn good player right now.

Jordan is leaps and bounds a better defensive player than Eric, even though Eric is four years older and Jordan is the youngest player in the league. Jordan plays in every key situation for the Pens, from being the team's best penalty killer to taking key draws in the defensive zone late in the game. Add to that the fact that his offensive game is rounding out very nicely (he has great one on one skills, and his playmaking skills are rapidly improving- take notice of the great pass he made off the glass last night to spring Malkin on a 2on1), I'd say Jordan gets the nod over Eric.

Eric is a terrific player, and has the potential to be a top 20 player in the league. Jordan, while he probably will end up being the 3rd best center on the Pens, has the potential to be a dominate force all over the ice...I'd take Jordan any day.

21. Hunter Gathers

Corporate Drone
    Oh, wow. He eclipsed Eric's rookie point total. How nice!

How this and a stupid, meaningless stat like +/- prove that someone is beyond me.

Call me when Jordan scores 100 points and helps lead his team to the Stanley Cup.

THEN we can talk about who is better.

As for now, Jordan isn't in Eric's league. He might have "potential" to be there, but he certainly isn't even close right now.

22. SteelCitySaviour

SteelCitySaviour Registered User

Yeah it's nice, especially when taking into consideration Jordan is more skilled than Eric and is putting up better numbers than Eric did.

+/- isn't the end all be all of stats, but if you actually watched Jordan play you'd see that it's a pretty good indicator of his defensive play. Taken in a vaccuum, it's meaningless. Taken in conjunction with watching him play, it speaks volumes.

Like it or not, Eric is not a very good defensive player. He had a great season last year, but is coming back down to earth a bit this year.

If I were a gm, I'd rather have Jordan. On any other team, he'd be the squad's go to guy probably as soon as next year. He'll probably end up with about 25-30 goals this year...and he's only about 6 goals behind Eric this year. Plus he's better, much much much better defensively.

23. Ti-girl

Ti-girl Registered User

Teaching
    Home Page:
    So being a third line centre makes you better than your brother who is a top line centre...? :dunno:

24. Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan Registered User

He might have the potential to be better actually. But I agree he is no where near there yet. To be doing what he is at 18 is extremely intriguing. If he had been a week older we would be raving about him in this upcoming draft. We are back to the Crosby at 18 thing again. And you saw how that worked out. Chances are that Jordan elevates his game over the coming years as well, and he is pretty damn good right now to begin with. You have to be intrigued with where the ceiling on this kid is going to end up.

25. Hank19

Hank19 Registered User

What's funny is that when Eric first broke in and after Marc got drafted, everyone kept saying that Jared was the most talented of the bunch. That was when he was 12.
    Fast-forward 4 years and now people are saying he'll be a midround pick. Even SI said that he's more than likely to be a plugger than a scorer.
    So who knows what's going to happen.
    Is he a centre too, or is he a right wing?