January 18, 1964 Boston 11, Toronto 0

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Even more amazing is that it happened IN TORONTO! I remember a Saturday night game at Richfield Coliseum in the Cleveland Barons' 2nd NHL season. Cleveland was playing on 3 days rest and in front of one of their largest crowds of the season. Buffalo marched in and beat them 13-5.

Also, as others have mentioned, if you look through some of those old 40's and 50's seasons, you'll find some horrific losses by the Rangers and Blackhawks.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Supposedly, there was a 13-0 game in the 1940s or 1950s.

When they asked the losing coach if there were any bright spots, he said something like "When we blocked the extra point after their second touchdown."

The Red Wings suffered their worst defeat in franchise history January 2, 1971, when the Maple Leafs beat them 13–0 in Toronto.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
I can remember seeing that score in the paper and thinking it was a misprint. There were no hockey box scores at that time in the local (Connecticut) papers. At first I thought it must have been 1-0, then I thought it may have been 11-0 Toronto. Anyway, scoring 11 goals in a game at that was really unheard of.

I was a few weeks shy of my 9th b-day and remember to this day listening to that game on the radio on I believe WHDH.

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Don Simmons:

..Simmons had the maddening habit in Boston of stopping hard drives & making difficult saves and then letting in really goofy goals...Had many up and down nights with the Bruins...He did not work as much in Toronto subbing for John Bowers...BTW: To the author of this thread: Don Simmons shared Goaltending duties with a certain Harry Lumley for 3 years in Boston...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00